Menu

Jumping on the MEP math bandwagon....

Alice

I know there have been a bunch of posts about this lately. I did a search but couldn't find the answer to my question...

Those who use and love MEP have convinced me to check it out and I'm in the process now of printing out the 1a Practice Book. I think my son will love it.

We're using Singapore now which I like and I think I want to stick with as my primary program. Ds is in 1A now with Singapore and doing well. We're going slowly along. I plan on using MEP mostly as a fun supplement that will challenge him to think in a different way and that we can use to introduce new concepts/ways of thinking while I'm working on things like math facts in Singapore.

My question is for those of you who use MEP as a supplement...do you print out the lesson plans also? I skimmed through them and they look very good. But I'm not sure I need a whole other set of lesson plans if I'm just going to use this as a supplement. My thought was just to work through the practice book together. Does anyone else use it this way?

Yep, I'd almost go without the work pages before I'd go w/out the lesson plans! (But yippee-they're free! We can have both!) The lesson plans are the heart of the program.

Maybe you could just print them out one section at a time? That's what I do, and it's less overwhelming. (We use it as a supplement too.) Also if your printer has an "economical" setting, that helps save money-it prints it a little lighter (still very readable) but uses much less ink.

I've printed out the lesson plans. They are really good (even if we don't get to all the ideas and activities, which we don't, since we are doing MEP in "supplement" mode).

Still, they help me with ideas on how to present the materials and provide ways to keep the lessons fun. Not to mention the rare occasions where MEP is so foreign that I go: huh? :001_huh:

It doesn't happen often, and the LP doesn't always help. But for a whole lot of reasons I like having the lesson plans on hand and to read them ahead of doing the workbooks.

I hope your son enjoys these as much as my son does :001_smile:

Bill