Menu

Using hand sanitizer on children's hands

I started using it on my kids as soon as they started touching stuff when we went out (about 18 months I guess). We only use it when we are out in public, and then we wash with soap and water as soon as we get home. Alcohol dries very quickly and the hands do not absorb things as well as say the torso does, so there should only be a small amount if any that would get into their mouths. My .02.

One thing to consider is that alcohol or hand sanitizer only works if it's left to air-dry completely (you can't hurry it or pat it dry). If that doesn't happen it's not effective. So problems that might arise with alcohol aside, could you reasonably expect a toddler to keep his hands still for the time it takes for his hands to dry?

Personally, I think soap and water and probably better options for young children.

There was an email circulating that snopes has as confirmed by the poision control center denies. Snopes was very unresponsive to my attempts to give them information to correct their misleading affirmation.

The average sized 2 year old would have to ingest a whole teaspoon of handsanitizer to get alcohol poisoning. (The milder end of which is just treated with sugar to counter the drop in blood sugar.) Most moms put much less than that on hands anyway, so if they licked it ALL off, they would be below the unsafe amount. If you are concerned about the effects of the alcohol being absorbed, or your dc licking it, call poison control. They take nonemergency info calls and you could reassure yourself that you were within safe limits and make your decisions based on facts. You can get info our your own dc based on their weight, so you'd know what was okay for your child.

I saw that Snopes e-mail too. When DD1 was about 3yo, DH & I happened onto her licking hand sanitizer off of her hands. We weren't sure about how much she had ingested, so I called Poison Control. The guy there calmly said that he had never sent a child into the ER over hand sanitizer. We kept an eye on her; she was fine. Of course, we moved where we keep it now and to this day remind her that "a dot is a lot." But if that helps add any perspective.....

Edited by Valerie in Chicago
typo

We just carried a plastic food container (or ziplock bag) with cheap washcloths that were wet with warm water and a few drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of soap. If you mix the solution before adding the washcloths, the soap emulsifies the tea tree oil, so it's dispersed throughout.

Angela - who, now that her children are older and sometimes lick things, often finds herself pondering why carrying a spray bottle of grain alcohol for tongue disinfection is a bad thing.

There are also hand sanitizers that use a different antiseptic and not alcohol, which are much gentler on the skin. Vick's makes one sold at Wal-Mart, and PureWorks, which can be found online if not in stores.

Yes, there are, however these are not a good thing unless you have an allergy to alcohol, for the same reason antibacterial soaps are a bad idea. They lead to more resistant strains of the desease. Better to use the alcohol-based in small amounts.