Menu

My coffee maker quit. Yay! I can shop for a new one!

I'm internet-shopping (of course) but can't find one with good reviews. Why not?

The people most likely to post reviews are the having the strongest feelings about the product. Usually they're not happy. (On the flipeside you get five star reviews from those who just took it out of the box :tongue_smilie:) Small appliance shopping is just becoming a nightmare.

I currently use an $8 coffeemaker from Walmart and it doesn't even have a brand name on it. It's supposed to be a temporary fill-in while I shop for a better one, but I'm not having much luck either (finding one w/out bad reviews). Same goes for toasters etc. There's a lot of expensive junk out there because the manufacturers have discovered we will pay (top dollar if necessary) for pretty looking crap.

In my money-is-no-object dream kitchen, I'd have commercial appliances.

We just spent $60 on a new coffeemaker for DH probably 3 months ago. It is a Cuisinart that grinds, brews, and has a timer you can set so that your coffee will be ready in the morning on it's own.

I don't drink coffee, but DH *loves* his new machine and says it does an excellent job. I got it at Costco, by the way.

Yes, but those great looking commercial appliances break down even when they are new.

I don't know what you are looking for in a coffee maker but for several years I used a cheap drip machine that came from Wal-Mart (husband doesn't like this kind). Then for my birthday last year my dad got me one of those single cup models (wow! making a cup of coffee with that machine was really expensive).

So three weeks ago we went back to the old percolator style (this style can even be a little hard to find in your local store) and it is great to have good tasting coffee again.

Good Luck on your quest for your new coffee pot.

Debbie

Here is what I look for in a coffee maker - your wants list may be different:

Automatic timer, insulated stainless carafe, removable water tank, easy cleaning.

My favorite coffee maker, ever, has been the Capresso CoffeeTEC (I had a previous model). That died after several years of use including traveling with me on business and vacation, and it was totally my fault for not cleaning it properly. :crying:

We've been through a few coffee makers since, and have had our current Cuisinart (similar to Melinda's, sans grinder) for about a year and a half and like it very much. The only thing it doesn't have from my wish list is the removable water tank. I get hours of hot, unburnt coffee, that's ready for me when I wake up. When this one goes, we will probably return to the Capresso, but I am happy with the Cuisinart for as long as it chugs along.

Another fan of Capresso machines.

An important feature for me is a good thermal carafe since I like to sip coffee throughout the morning. The Capresso stainless carafe does not keep coffee piping hot for hours but it does keep coffee sufficiently warm for my taste. (I do not like coffee that sits on a warmer plate for two hours.)

Capresso provides excellent customer service. My first machine died a few months after the warranty expired. Without question, I was sent a new machine that has been going for years.

My coffee maker was also made in the US, if that is a feature that is important to you.

Jane

OK, y'all...we are long-time coffee maker users, but I also have a smaller (4 cup) French press. I use it occasionally for an afternoon cup. How is it superior? Don't get me wrong...I want to prefer it over the huge, ugly electric one we use. But I don't seem to have the knack for making coffee correctly in the press. And when your done, the clean up is gross with all those soggy grounds to dig out and find a place to dump and they cover the bottom of the sink and you have to touch them. :tongue_smilie: How can I make it less aggravating and more, well, French ;)?

Ginger

My biggest concern with an under the counter coffee maker is the steam that rises will go right up into the cabinets. I always pull mine out from the wall, so that the steam will rise to the ceiling instead of getting trapped under the cupboards. I have felt underneath there and it gets hot & moist....our cabinets are made of wood & I don't want warping or mold or anything.

Does anyone else think that way? :confused:

I have a Bunn with the thermal carafe and no heating plate and I have to tell you, it's the best coffeemaker I've ever owned. The thermal carafe keeps water or coffee hot ALL DAY LONG. And, because it's not constantly cooking the coffee, there's no burned taste. And, the carafe is dishwasher safe. Hot water or coffee in 3 minutes, too. It's pricey--$150, but worth every single penny (well, I got mine half price because I have a friend who works for Bunn, but if I'd had to buy it at full price, it would have been worth it)

OK, y'all...we are long-time coffee maker users, but I also have a smaller (4 cup) French press. I use it occasionally for an afternoon cup. How is it superior? Don't get me wrong...I want to prefer it over the huge, ugly electric one we use. But I don't seem to have the knack for making coffee correctly in the press. And when your done, the clean up is gross with all those soggy grounds to dig out and find a place to dump and they cover the bottom of the sink and you have to touch them. :tongue_smilie: How can I make it less aggravating and more, well, French ;)?

Ginger

I feel the taste is superior--it tastes richer and fuller to me. My working theory at this point is that paper filters on electric coffee makers absorb too much of the natural oils, and therefore the taste is not as rich and full.

I use a rubber spatula to dig out the grounds and I dump them in the garbage. The tiny bits that are left I rinse into the garbage disposal. Really, the whole process takes thirty seconds, and my hands do not get icky, so it doesn't bother me.

I do find that a slightly coarser grind yields a tastier result and easier clean-up. I also grind my own beans, which might add to the flavor. Is your coffee too weak or too strong? You have to play a little with the perfect steeping time, and I do find it varies a bit between bean producers. For example, 8 O'Clock Coffee needs five minutes to steep, but my Trader Joe's brand need just 3 minutes. Additionally, I find I need more scoops of 8 O-Clock Coffee and less of the Trader Joe's.