Menu

What's that container type gardening system

where you buy the "pot" and the soil from this one company and then you can plant several seeds in it. I want to say it's 3 or 4 strawberry plants. The sell for about $25 dollars plus the soil. Or maybe you only have to buy new soil the second and subsequent years? I saw them on here and checked them out on line but decided not to spend the money then. Now I want to look into it again.

Anyone?

I've used Earthboxes for years - and they are amazing. You can reuse most of the dirt year after year (I replanted this year with 1 large bag over 4 planters). The yield is amazing and they are SO easy to use. I looked into containers at Lowe's and nice planters are 30-50$, easy. I think I bought 4 last year on clearance for around $120 or so and bought the dirt and fert locally. I love them. You can check out my blog entry here about them. Definitely check out the earlier pics for perspective.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy potting mix and some storage tubs from the hardware shop? Drill holes in the bottom of the tubs, and voila! We do that, they are much cheaper than buying gardening pots and come in prettier colours.

:)

Rosie

Yes, (hanging head) but this way I just have to buy 2 things - the box kit and the plants. If I buy containers, then I have to think.

I've used Earthboxes for years - and they are amazing. You can reuse most of the dirt year after year (I replanted this year with 1 large bag over 4 planters). The yield is amazing and they are SO easy to use. I looked into containers at Lowe's and nice planters are 30-50$, easy. I think I bought 4 last year on clearance for around $120 or so and bought the dirt and fert locally. I love them. You can check out my blog entry here about them. Definitely check out the earlier pics for perspective.

Thanks! Yours look great!

I always find these things intriguing, but I don't like being dependent on any company for a product. There is a great composting system that interests me but it involves some sort of product that helps decompose the food scraps. There is a hydroponic product being advertised on TV that grows great vegies indoors- but you have to buy teh chemicals from the company. I am leery of anything with a catch, and I consider being dependent on a company for something, a catch. I dont know about the earth boxes though.

That's it! Thanks! The price tag was why I didn't. At $25, it's not that bad. But at $60, that's a lot!

That's why I went with square foot gardening instead of earth boxes. They looked great, but it was much less expensive to go with raised beds. I paid $20 for materials for the beds and $40 for the soil mix and I have 16 squares to plant in.

Someone posted directions form online and we used those. It's great to finally have a use for the empty wheat buckets! I've got 2 and tomatoes in both. According to the little "flag" I should have tomatoes in 60-70 days! :) :)