Menu

Other digital curriculum like TOG?

I have to say that I don't want to pay for the rights to use a curriculum...especially such an expensive one. I want to pay to own it.

Are there other curriculum like this? Where you're paying for the ability to USE it and not OWN it? This is the first time I've come across anything I wanted to use have this issue and was wondering how common it is.

Bonnie

Keep in mind that case law is still working on wether it is legal for them to do this anyway. It has not been clearly decided that they have a right to simply "license" it and claim you can't re-sell. Changing "sell" to "license" may not mean anything in the long run, but that hasn't all been nailed down yet.

Here is an article.

Interesting article. Thanks!

Just wondering - can you "rent" out curriculum? I have a friend who will be renting my TOG year 1 copy (not DE - Does it matter?) for a very small fee (just to mostly help her to feel like she's not taking advantage of me - I really could care less). Would it be legall to rent out stuff like Rosetta stone and other digital curriculum? You're not really selling it, you get it back...

Beth

It is licensed for a particular computer. In fact, if you have more than one computer in your household, they have a special license for that. You can't just copy it from one computer to another, so I don't see how that would work.

I suppose you could let them access it from your computer, but that seems like a pain unless they are going to print out their own copy.

I have to say that I don't want to pay for the rights to use a curriculum...especially such an expensive one. I want to pay to own it.

Are there other curriculum like this? Where you're paying for the ability to USE it and not OWN it? This is the first time I've come across anything I wanted to use have this issue and was wondering how common it is.

Bonnie

Well, when you purchase a TOG DE Year plan you DO own it...FOREVER in fact! :w00t: :D It's yours and you get to keep it, do whatever you want with it...except sell it. ;) You CAN purchase a printed version with your DE though, and I'm pretty sure you can sell that one...just not the DE itself.

With companies like Abeka and BJU, you are leasing their product...not purchasing it. You're only allowed to keep it for a period of time and then it must be returned. You cannot use it again with another child unless you once again lease it. Big difference.

Well, when you purchase a TOG DE Year plan you DO own it...FOREVER in fact! :w00t: :D It's yours and you get to keep it, do whatever you want with it...except sell it. ;) You CAN purchase a printed version with your DE though, and I'm pretty sure you can sell that one...just not the DE itself.

From what I understand you are NOT allowed to sell the printed version of your DE either. I don't think that is fair, but from what I have read about it that's the way it is.

Just wondering - can you "rent" out curriculum? I have a friend who will be renting my TOG year 1 copy (not DE - Does it matter?) for a very small fee (just to mostly help her to feel like she's not taking advantage of me - I really could care less). Would it be legall to rent out stuff like Rosetta stone and other digital curriculum? You're not really selling it, you get it back...

Beth

If you own a TOG year plan in print you can do whatever you want with it, except of course make multiple prints of it and sell, sell, sell (or rent, rent rent ;)).

I don't know about other digital curriculum though. I generally steer clear of anything digital. :tongue_smilie: It seems to me a bit unethical to rent out a product like Rosetta Stone, or any curriculum with a stipulation that it cannot be resold...but I really don't know. :confused:

From what I understand you are NOT allowed to sell the printed version of your DE either. I don't think that is fair, but from what I have read about it that's the way it is.

Hmmm...that is interesting. And who's to know if you sell it? I don't think there are TOG police out there... ;)

If I purchased the DE version and had them (TOG) print it out for me for $100, I would feel perfectly within my rights to sell my printed version for $50-$75 when I know longer needed it. I don't honestly see that being any different than selling my current printed year plans. I, of course, would not sell, attempt to sell, or even rent out, a DE version though...which is why I purchased Years 1, 2, and 3 in print. :)

Perhaps I need a course in ethics? :blink:

:lol:

Edited by Melissa in CA

Hmmm...that is interesting. And who's to know if you sell it? I don't think there are TOG police out there... ;)

If I purchased the DE version and had them (TOG) print it out for me for $100, I would feel perfectly within my rights to sell my printed version for $50-$75 when I know longer needed it. I don't honestly see that being any different than selling my current printed year plans. I, of course, would not sell, attempt to sell, or even rent out, a DE version though...which is why I purchased Years 1, 2, and 3 in print. :)

I also bought the DE/print package and was not aware when I did that I am not supposed to resell the print version. These are tough rules to abide by!

I also bought the DE/print package and was not aware when I did that I am not supposed to resell the print version. These are tough rules to abide by!

Did you have to sign anything stating that you would not resell, or was it just stated that you were not allowed to?

The only thing is that the Loom is with the CD/download portion of the year plan (I think I don't have DE) so while you are technically not supposed to re-sell even the printed DE of course you could but the buyer would not get the Loom. I think they see printed DE as an extension of the DE not a separate product.

Did you have to sign anything stating that you would not resell, or was it just stated that you were not allowed to?

I don't remember if I signed anything about the print specifically. I am just going by what Marcia has said on the TOG forum about this. I should go back to my end user agreement that I signed and look more carefully. I imagine that is will mention something about any materials printed from the DE, which technically is where the print came from.

I wish it was less complicated!

The difference is that with the DE, you could print out several copies and sell them if you wanted to. Whether you could sell them at a high enough price to recoup your printing costs is up for question, but that's the reasoning.

The difference is that with the DE, you could print out several copies and sell them if you wanted to. Whether you could sell them at a high enough price to recoup your printing costs is up for question, but that's the reasoning.

Couldn't you just as easily copy the regular print version and sell that? I agree that it probably wouldn't be worth it. I just think these laws go too far. I think it's reasonable that someone should be able to resell something that they have spent so much money on. When you are done with the DE version it is of no use to anyone! You are not even allowed to give it away to someone else! That just seems wasteful to me.