Menu

Okay, it is KILLING me to get my curricula ready to sell....

Public school is working out so well for my kids that I can be reasonably certain I won't be going back to homeschooling. I've accepted that.

But my LIBRARY!! I researched, shopped, saved, and bought all these wonderful books over a period of about TEN YEARS! And now we are in a terrible financial pinch and I know I'll never use most of these now. So it makes sense to sell them -- especially some of the newest ones that are still worth a lot on eBay.

But... this is KILLING ME!! Piles of beautiful readers, never opened. Full grades, almost new, of A Beka 2, 4, 5, and 6. Meticulously organized, complete sets of Veritas Press cards. A HWT program that was working so well for my 2nd grader, but that he doesn't need now because the school uses Zaner-Bloser.

I have probably $1000-$1500 worth of saleable product here, and I need the money, and I need the space, and I'm VERY VERY HAPPY with the school district and I KNOW it was the right decision, so.... why can't I part with these books?!

I feel like someone I loved has died!

(((Hugs))) I can only imagine how difficult it is for you!! I know this was a difficult transition to make for your family and this will make it seem so permanent. However, you know that the fastest way to insure that you *will* need to homeschool again is to sell all your stuff, right?

No advice, just hugs!!

Things are going well now but... things can change. What if you sold all of your curriculum and then decided to bring the kids back home next year. Of course it would be fun shopping but it would also be expensive. Besides, I'm sure the kids will use some of the items--reading books, science stuff, whatever their special interests might be. As much as I would like to tell you to sell your Veritas cards*to me*, I think you should hang onto some stuff. I would recommend selling items that you didn't use anyway. Get them together and post here or on e*ay. Once you are sure that they are staying in ps you can sell even more. But hang onto your favorites. Maybe you can pass them to your grandkids some day:o

I would probably hold onto the HWT - even though the school doesn't use it, it might come in handy with your youngest at some point.

I would be sad to sell my books as well - but I would *try* to be rational about things, you don't need the books at the moment but you do need the $$. Particularly the A Beka stuff - now if it were actual literature books that would be harder for me as well. But if you have a good library available to you (including ILL) you can probably get along without them.

My 16 yo dd just filled 6 bags of books that she doesn't want/need any longer. Some were good friends from long ago but she hasn't touched in years, and she definitely needs the space on her shelves.

It is a similar feeling to getting rid of the baby and little kid clothes and toys - isn't it. That season of your life is over. But God was in that season and this new season! I know you are thankful for His leading and direction.

Sell the curriculum stuff, keep the literature and character stuff - and be thankful!! Not sad!

I know exactly why you are going through - with my 10yo special needs son going to school - and I'm selling some of his things. Preaching to myself here also!

Oh, Katherine, that must be really hard to do. I have a hard enough time getting rid of the stuff that we have used and are done with. Maybe it would help to know that you will be helping out other homeschoolers who buy it from you. I'm sure it will all be very appreciated and you will have some room on your bookshelves.

I agree about keeping the literature though. I would also keep good reference books, just not the curriculum. Maybe start by selling the stuff that you are least likely to use even if they should come home again, like the younger grades.

Man, I would have a very hard time letting go of my blessed curriculum too!! I mean, that is my hobby you know, to research, buy, research, buy.. I love curriculum.

I would only sell the things you KNOW you won't use again. You never really know what the future will bring. You may homeschool again.:confused:

Blessings,

Jen