Menu

Middle Ages History for HS, what are you using?

My 9th grader will be finishing Ancients this yr. We used Omnibus (selective) and Western Civilization by Spievogel.

I'm just looking for ideas for Middle Ages study. History is kind of dry, and I'd like to make it a little more interesting/interactive. What sources/programs are you using that you really like?

Thanks

My boys have loved(10yos) really liked(16yos) and liked(13yos) the Middle Ages series from the Teaching Company by Daileader. Early Middle Ages, High Middle Ages, Late Middle Ages(they haven't listened to the last set yet).

Thanks for mentioning this last set. We don't have these, nor does the library, so I will patiently wait for them to go on sale.

TWTM reading recommendations with Spielvogel and Daileader lectures makes for a great course. We also listened to the Cook and Herzman lectures on Divine Comedy.

My son loves history so we let him dig deeply into topics that interest him. Lately it has been the Hundreds Years' War which he has read several books from the library on. It may be a bit easier for us since I have a child who really loves history.

Good luck.

Jane

We used OMnibus 2, but tweaked it. Here's ds' reading list from 10th grade, if it helps any.

Oh, and we supplemented with Spielvogel Western Civ and Barron's World History the Easy Way (which gave us quizzes and fill-in-the-blank thingies.)

Grade 10: 2006-2007

Martyr of the Catacombs

Church History, Eusebius

Ecclesiastical History of the English People, Bede+

Confessions, Augustine

Song of Roland

Beowulf

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Once and Future King, T.H. White

Canterbury Tales (Selections), Chaucer

In Freedom’s Cause, G.A. Henty

The NineTailors, Dorothy Sayers

Inferno, Dante

Parcel of Patterns, Jill Paten Walsh

World Religions 101, Bruce Bikel

Martyrs of the Catacombs was from Rod and Staff--very short, nice story about Christians in Rome during the persecution. Parcel of Patterns detailed how the Plague came to a small town in England, late in the plague years.

World Religions gave us the theological component, since we didn't read a lot of the theology books in Omnibus.

Nine Tailors was a bit of a waste of time for us.

We added in a few movies, but got sort of burned out on history and didn't get as far as Shakespeare, which I had wanted to cover.

Winter Promise has a nice-looking program for Shakespeare, if you want to look at that section.

We tried a few of the lectures on the Middle Ages from Teaching Co., but ds just found them boring--he's more visual.

We have been using Tapestry of Grace this year - their Yr. 2 (includes Middle Ages, Ref., Ren., early explor., etc.) with my 10th grade daughter.

I love it. My daughter is a strong reader and I needed something that would help me make the most out of her reading and would challenge her. TOG ties all the literature in to the history, of course, but really gives you, the parent, all the info needed to read a few pages each week and be able to have meaningful discussion with your child, something which I really saw the value in, but was lacking in personally ability to make happen.

There is a ton of work for the student, if you have her do it all. But the beauty of Tapestry is that you can sort of pick and choose on which parts you will focus.

My daughter has learned all about literary analysis this year and has covered history very deeply in the spine readings and writing assignments, etc. I cannot recommend this curriculum enough. Had I known about it when I had all three of mine still at home and was just starting out, I would have loved using this. I feel it gives me the thorough, rigorous plan & materials I so longed for, along with parent-friendliness and a unique freedom within the structure, as well.

HTH!

Jo

We plan to use the Speilvogel Western Civ. For middle Ages (We started this year with ancients)

Lightning Lit - Middle ages lit (1st semester) / Shakespeare tragedies or commedies for 2nd)

Adding some literature from WTm not in the Lightning Lit.

Will try to buy the teaching company lectures as well on Middle ages.

HTH,

Chelsea

I don't have ds's schedule in front of me, but what I can remember here is what we used:

Western Civilization by Speilvogel

Beowulf

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (selected stories)

Dante's Inferno

The Prince

performed in two Shakespearean plays : Merry Wives of Windsor and Taming of the Shrew

I think there were a couple of other books, but I can't remember them right now.

We spent a huge amount of time on the Inferno. But I was proud of ds reading through the entire book. :)

Guest Lorna

We are using Galore Park's SYRWTL History 1 for history; literature suggestions such as 'Le Chanson de Roland' and reading Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Piers Plowman as the Lightning Literature British Medieval History. They work beautifully together but the emphasis is very much on Britain. This isn't a problem for us since we are a English/Scottish family and I will attempt to introduce some parallel world history in later years.

We are using Galore Park's SYRWTL History 1 for history; literature suggestions such as 'Le Chanson de Roland' and reading Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and Piers Plowman as the Lightning Literature British Medieval History.

We are doing LL7, which feels light for its stated age range. Is LL Medieval a good level for your daughter (I don't think I ever said - we are Moomintroll fans here, and I've always enjoyed your children's names).

Laura

Guest Lorna
We are doing LL7, which feels light for its stated age range. Is LL Medieval a good level for your daughter (I don't think I ever said - we are Moomintroll fans here, and I've always enjoyed your children's names).

Laura

We are only a couple of weeks into it but she is really enjoying it. It was really her choice to do it and she has been saying how glad she is she chose it. Comparing it with Galore Park 2 she said the comprehension questions are actually more straight forward. These are really her sort of books and I am very glad we went for it. She has been much more cheerful about her English now she gets to read for that too :rolleyes:.

She wants use the two Shakespeare courses next. She has studied Shakespeare herself but I think she would enjoy going into more depth with them too. I will try and tie this in with a Renaissance study.

Jenny in Atlanta is using Medieval Lit with her daughter of a similar age and disposition. She is further into it. Perhaps she can tell you more? She was very encouraging - thank you Jenny, I have one very satisfied daughter now:).