Menu

Those that are sugar free - tell me more about it...

KIN

Do you avoid white sugar, white flour, white rice - what else? Do you ever have sugar in anything - like BBQ sauce or ketchup? Or, do you just avoid big things like the pile of chocolate chip cookies I made yesterday? What about chocolate???? How do you make the switch?

I'm really getting myself depressed and I KNOW it stems from: lack of exercise, lack of light, and probably most of all junk food. I need some motivation and education right now. Help me please. :o

I am very interested in replies to your post. I once spoke with a mom who were several months into a sugar-free lifestyle. I remember her saying once you are sugar free, you get nauseous, even sick, if you take sugar again. When I asked how it worked for their family to, say, go to a friend's home for dinner she said most of their friends know their lifestyle and work around them. This doesn't set too well w/me and I would like to strike a balance somewhere in there. *But* dh is rather undermining in this way:rolleyes: though he thinks it's great in theory:)

So, in addition to your original post here, I'm hoping sugar-free folks will add how they handle dinner invitations, etc, too. TIA!

Hi! I've been off of sugary "treats" for over a month now and can't begin to tell you the improvement in my energy but especially my attitude (and now I'm not depressed or nearly as emotional). I didn't worry about taking ALL sugar out, ie, I still eat rice and bread. Those things weren't the problem for me. Eating a whole box of cookies or a candy bar or ice cream...now those things were a problem for me. I've cut them out nearly completely, treating myself as if I were an addict (which truthfully, I think I am addicted to the sugary treats - my cravings increase terribly and I am never satisfied). I just took it one day, one temptation, one craving at a time.

I'm not sure this is the perspective you are coming from. But for me this has been a lifestyle change and cold-turkey worked best for me.

:0)

Angela

Sugar-free is my new self-imposed lifestyle (after having blood sugars that were creeping too high). I really love sugar lots and lots, so for me, the only way is a total cut-off from sweets in anything. I don't use ketchup anymore (mustard only) and search for bread at the health-food store (it can be high in sugar as well!). In addition to the no-sugar thing, I'm beefing up my fiber and complex carbs (a lot of beans, veggies, fruits, nuts). It just gives me a more even-keel and I feel so much better! In the times I've slipped back (a few slices of pizza here, a rice-krispie treat there) I feel mega lousy. My only other thought is to maybe watch high glycemic foods (foods that metabolize quickly and mimic the white sugar thing in your system) - watermelon, dates, white potatoes.

As far as invitations, it's not an easy lifestyle for you, so I wouldn't expect it to be an easy lifestyle to impose on your friends. Everything in life is about moderation, so when I go out, I just do the best I can. Go heavy on the veggie servings, with very little meat and pasta. Dessert could be just a bite of your hubbie's. It's a fine line, though now I'm just in the habit of saying, "Sorry, my body doesn't take chocolate pie well. I have to watch it."

As for chocolate, you know, once you get away from it, you might not crave it so much anymore (I had to drop all caffeine, too, and a cup of coffee doesn't please anymore the way that it used to). I still do crave sugary things (frosting!), but not chocolate so much. You might be pleasantly surprised at how you are able to resist things when your blood sugars aren't hopping up and down all the time.

Good luck!

Kirsten

I had a serious problem with my emotions. I felt lousy, I was irritable, I was seriously not a fun person to be around. For the record, I am also diabetic. But it's also been almost 2 yrs since my diagnosis and my last ice cream treat. I won't be repeating this experience again anytime soon. My cravings for ice cream are cured.

I do use Agave in my coffee and as a sweetner for homemade ice cream. I like to eat fruit, in moderation too. These are the only "sugars" I allow myself to use.

I don't use artificial sugars. And I stay away from sugar of all colors and I avoid carbohydrates.

I've only been at this (this round) for about 7 or 8 weeks... I avoid all of those things *most* of the time. No sugar, no white flour, no ketchup, etc. *But*, I'll allow small quantities from time to time. If we're out at a Thai restaurant, eating white jasmine rice may be inevitable. But instead of just scooping it on my plate as much as I like, which is what I've done in the past, I'll careful measure (eyeball) about a 1/2 C and really pace myself. If I really want/need a second 1/2 C, I'll let myself have it, but no more. If I have a couple of french fries (if I'm going to eat more than one, I count out ten for myself so I know when I have to stop), I won't fret about using a little ketchup on them. (The trick here is that at home, I have only organic ketchup with no HFCS -- but I'm not really tempted to eat fries except that once-in-a-blue-moon when we're out at a restaurant that makes their own fresh fries...)

Barbeque sauce too -- it's not like I eat the stuff more than once every few months, so I'm not going to fret overly about it.

As for the "big pile of chocolate chip cookies", yes, I avoid. ;) Or I just don't eat them at all. *If* it's an event like a birthday party that I've known was coming and that has a definite start and stop time, I might well allow myself to have a small serving of, say, birthday cake. But I plan ahead: is this a treat I *really* want to "spend" my calories / sugar on? How much is reasonable to allow myself? And that type of thing can't happen every week -- it can only happen occasionally.

As for chocolate, I do sometimes (often!) eat very small quantities of very strong chocolate. For instance, the 99% cacao Lindt bar is 21 squares of chocolate, and a serving is about 16 squares. I eat 1-2 squares at a time (not every day, but many days). There's essentially no sugar (a miniscule amount), and it doesn't taste remotely sweet, but it does satisfy my desire for chocolate.

The thing is, yes, I try to be a sugar teetotaler *most* of the time. I don't replace sugar with other sweet things (natural or artificial) except whole fruits (not juices, dried fruits or concentrated fruit things). I just eat real foods. But I also give myself permission to eat small portions of the things I most want in the world from time to time. But in order to make that trade-off, I don't sneak in little bits of sugar every day.

If I'm at someone else's house, I'll eat a little of whatever is served. Perhaps that would be a problem if I ate at other people's homes a couple of times a week, but I don't do it very often.

The simple answer: at home, I avoid all sugar and refined grains. We have no HFCS in the house, ever (and haven't in many years -- I don't find it as difficult to avoid as some people seem to), and while I do allow the occasional treat in the house for the kids, I avoid it. When outside of the house, I allow for planned cheats, but try to avoid "on the fly" ones.

ETA: I've also cut way down on grains generally (even though I only eat whole grains and sprouted grains 95% of the time) and starchy veggies like potatoes. That seems to help me too. I just can't eat endless grains, even whole grains. I try to eat 1C or less of any grains during the course of a day.

My answer is a bit different from the others. In my case I specifically avoid cane or beet sugar (both granulated white sugars). This is after I was on this elimination diet for food allergies and found that both of those sugars cause me to be really tired and dopey. I have no idea if it is a food allergy or a blood sugar thing or what. In my case, I bake with honey and/or maple syrup (the real kind). I do not have the sleepy/dopey problem with those sweeteners. I do not get anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. It's more expensive but there are ketchups out there that do not have it. In my case, I make my own ketchup with a small touch of honey in it.

As far as flour goes, I switched my family to whole grains of all kinds.

My family has no problem with our changes because we all feel better. They still get the food they love and enjoy. We had wonderful maple walnut scones yesterday for breakfast. My kids still get some ketchup with their fries. When eating with others I will bring a dish to share - something we can eat. Most friends will ask what to make for us (with understandable trepidation). I've found that telling them what we can't eat is not a good idea. It is better to make some simple easy suggestions: how about some grilled chicken basted with a touch of olive oil? some rice? (white rice/flour on occasion doesn't affect me as much as the sugar thing). A salad? (I'll bring a dressing). Don't worry about dessert - I'll bring that!

I took myself off of sugar two months ago. I was developing a serious sugar addiction. I was feeling so yuccy--stomach pain, depression, gaining weight. I am not real strict. I still have a little bit of sugar in my iced tea. I have given up everything else (cookies, coke,chocolate, etc.) I am just not ready to give up the iced tea yet. ;)

I have also cut way back on carbs as well as I think that was part of my problem, too. So I don't eat white flour, rice or sugar. When I say sugar, I also do not eat fruit as the sugar in that affects me as well.

I have been eating this way for two months. I feel so much better. I don't feel bloated anymore. The stomach pains are long gone and I have lost 12 pounds.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

I've been off sugar/flour/grains/potaoes/rice etc for 5 years. I do use liquid Splenda to sweeten my coffee. I did all this because my cholesterol was sky high and I wanted to lower it. it did the trick very well, and I lost a ton of weight to boot.

as far as invitations go...well, we don't get out too much, and I usually eat before I go somewhere just in case it is all pasta and potatoes. I usually have almonds in the car in my glove box at all times too...

jenny

I've only been at this (this round) for about 7 or 8 weeks... I avoid all of those things *most* of the time. No sugar, no white flour, no ketchup, etc. *But*, I'll allow small quantities from time to time. If we're out at a Thai restaurant, eating white jasmine rice may be inevitable. But instead of just scooping it on my plate as much as I like, which is what I've done in the past, I'll careful measure (eyeball) about a 1/2 C and really pace myself. If I really want/need a second 1/2 C, I'll let myself have it, but no more. If I have a couple of french fries (if I'm going to eat more than one, I count out ten for myself so I know when I have to stop), I won't fret about using a little ketchup on them. (The trick here is that at home, I have only organic ketchup with no HFCS -- but I'm not really tempted to eat fries except that once-in-a-blue-moon when we're out at a restaurant that makes their own fresh fries...)

Barbeque sauce too -- it's not like I eat the stuff more than once every few months, so I'm not going to fret overly about it.

As for the "big pile of chocolate chip cookies", yes, I avoid. ;) Or I just don't eat them at all. *If* it's an event like a birthday party that I've known was coming and that has a definite start and stop time, I might well allow myself to have a small serving of, say, birthday cake. But I plan ahead: is this a treat I *really* want to "spend" my calories / sugar on? How much is reasonable to allow myself? And that type of thing can't happen every week -- it can only happen occasionally.

As for chocolate, I do sometimes (often!) eat very small quantities of very strong chocolate. For instance, the 99% cacao Lindt bar is 21 squares of chocolate, and a serving is about 16 squares. I eat 1-2 squares at a time (not every day, but many days). There's essentially no sugar (a miniscule amount), and it doesn't taste remotely sweet, but it does satisfy my desire for chocolate.

The thing is, yes, I try to be a sugar teetotaler *most* of the time. I don't replace sugar with other sweet things (natural or artificial) except whole fruits (not juices, dried fruits or concentrated fruit things). I just eat real foods. But I also give myself permission to eat small portions of the things I most want in the world from time to time. But in order to make that trade-off, I don't sneak in little bits of sugar every day.

If I'm at someone else's house, I'll eat a little of whatever is served. Perhaps that would be a problem if I ate at other people's homes a couple of times a week, but I don't do it very often.

The simple answer: at home, I avoid all sugar and refined grains. We have no HFCS in the house, ever (and haven't in many years -- I don't find it as difficult to avoid as some people seem to), and while I do allow the occasional treat in the house for the kids, I avoid it. When outside of the house, I allow for planned cheats, but try to avoid "on the fly" ones.

ETA: I've also cut way down on grains generally (even though I only eat whole grains and sprouted grains 95% of the time) and starchy veggies like potatoes. That seems to help me too. I just can't eat endless grains, even whole grains. I try to eat 1C or less of any grains during the course of a day.

replace some sugar in recipes with honey or maple syrup? I am trying to cut out sugar and just sprinkle a little into my coffee, the rest of the time I usually replace it with raw honey as a sweetener for oatmeal, or in my bread recipes. I wonder if this would be permissible with the principles you are following? I could live like this without feeling deprived and I really would like to minimize sugar wherever I can. I don't have a big craving for white rice and usually use more wheat flour than white flour in break baking.

I've been off sugar/flour/grains/potaoes/rice etc for 5 years. I do use liquid Splenda to sweeten my coffee. I did all this because my cholesterol was sky high and I wanted to lower it. it did the trick very well, and I lost a ton of weight to boot.

as far as invitations go...well, we don't get out too much, and I usually eat before I go somewhere just in case it is all pasta and potatoes. I usually have almonds in the car in my glove box at all times too...

jenny

still eating some kind of bread or not? It would be hard for me to cut out the bread - the rest is no problem. But I love bread and I love to bake it.