Menu

Handwriting: what if you want to do a do-over? Is 12yo too late?

Have you thought about just going for an all caps style the way the Navy keeps its logbooks?

If that won't work, I do like the Italic handwriting style. In fact, my own handwriting got better after I started teaching this to my kids.

I'm not sure that cursive is in enough usage for me to be demanding it as long as my kids can produce legible and speedy writing, suitable for journaling or for doing essay tests. Heck, the way that handwriting in general is denigrated, I sometimes feel like I'm really fighting a solitary battle to be teaching handwriting at all.

Dd was having lots of trouble with her handwriting until we tried calligraphy! I bought one of those calligraphy calendars where you have 6 or so different alphabets and use one a week, practicing a new word each day. We went from printing to the calendar, and then on to cursive practice. Dd commented that she thought of the calligraphy as art and began looking at the letters more in terms of their shapes and less as expressions of phonic sounds and that helped her to do better with her cursive style. HTH

Have you thought about just going for an all caps style the way the Navy keeps its logbooks?

If that won't work, I do like the Italic handwriting style. In fact, my own handwriting got better after I started teaching this to my kids.

I'm not sure that cursive is in enough usage for me to be demanding it as long as my kids can produce legible and speedy writing, suitable for journaling or for doing essay tests. Heck, the way that handwriting in general is denigrated, I sometimes feel like I'm really fighting a solitary battle to be teaching handwriting at all.

It is Italics to which I am referring...sorry. I liked it at first. I liked the concept. Being a nurse and having to decipher barely-written-language, attracted me to the thought of italic neatness. Now I feel like my oldest has ended up with this blend of neither italic nor cursive, but somewhere in between. I'm just not liking it. :confused: I can't explain exactly why.

I just showed Zaner-Bloser to the boys and they both said, "Ah! *That* is cursvie." I just wonder if it is too late.

Jo

I just showed Zaner-Bloser to the boys and they both said, "Ah! *That* is cursvie." I just wonder if it is too late.

You could always try a couple of the worksheets from their online generator and see how it goes:

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/educator/products/handwriting/index.aspx?id=4296

I realize it's not the same as a full program by a long shot but you should be able to get some idea. I don't think it's too late at all if they're motivated to improve.

Edited by darlasowders

I think 12 is probably too late, but their workbooks are not that expensive and could bring improvement, but probably not a drastic change.

With my "Kate" I am happy with legible, but with "Bianca".... her handwriting is a work of art. Neatness matters to one and not the other and I can't change that. Lord knows I've tried. I think that accepting what they give out as their best and appreciating it as their best offering brings the biggest change in the teacher and the student. If it is not top priority to them, it is their best. If it is accepted, the desire to please is stronger and improvement more likely will occur. If not, that's ok. There is a lot of peace in that.

Yes, this has made a difference in ds's writing. One can actually decipher it now!

The Italic way makes it much easier as it has none of the exaggerated loops of the traditional cursive. I find it easier to read than even the most beautiful cursive.

It is Italics to which I am referring...sorry. I liked it at first. I liked the concept. Being a nurse and having to decipher barely-written-language, attracted me to the thought of italic neatness. Now I feel like my oldest has ended up with this blend of neither italic nor cursive, but somewhere in between. I'm just not liking it. :confused: I can't explain exactly why.

Jo

It's not like a get a cut from Italic. You don't offend me if it hasn't worked.

I hope you do find something. I don't know much about handwriting research. I know that my own handwriting improved a lot once I was in the Navy and had to write legible logs and lab manuals and such. It took another turn for the better once I started teaching Italic (not a plug for Italic again, just a comment that even adults can improve their handwriting).

Have you thought about trying to use a fountain pen? This is standard for even elementary children in Europe. I used to use a fountain pen a lot and found that it made writing a little more deliberative.

One summer I worked with a 12 yo boy specifically on handwriting. There was improvement.

We use Handwriting Without Tears here, and it has been very successful for my children. I didn't have the older ones write consistently in cursive once they learned it, and now they opt for printing. My twins however write in cursive more than their older siblings.

Jennie

I hope it isn't. I'm trying to do-over my 12 year olds writing too..lol.

Girls are different, they seem to like to be neat writers even though dd doesn't. But I think it has to be their decision. I keep supplying the stuff, and at 10yo, I still give dd the special paper. Her problem seems to be spacial, small motor, and willessness; it is slowly improving...now that I don't push her anymore, but it will never be glamorous. She is artsy and in time she could decide to do better, but the all the factors for improvement are not in place yet.

I guess I am trying to say that at 12, kids want to do it their way they want their own style, and if it's readable, if format on the page is well done, if rules are important, and if effort is there at times, then I would be satisfied. They know.

Sometimes to get the thoughts out on paper, or even phrases, gets lost if the concentration to write neatly and perfectly is the bigger demand. My 10yo loses her thoughts too quickly and I think that is more important to work on.

I am teaching her how to do bullets as she takes notes from her science book instead of sentences and that has taken pressure off. She is trying harder now. But it is still not the prettiest.

Edited by Robin Hood
forgot a word

I used Getty Dubay Write Now with my 15yo when he came home from school at 13yo. It has made a huge difference the legibility of his everyday writing and when I ask him to write his best, his writing is beautiful.

Getty Dubay users here too. BUT, you really have to watch them as they begin cursive I'm finding out with my 2nd dd. She had the same instructions/curriculum as my oldest dd but she likes to "do her own thing" with some of the letters and it's not quite as pretty, legible, but doesn't look as nice. When we stop and stress doing it like the book we see a ton of improvement.

My suggestion would be to stop and backup. Watch her form those joins and see where she's taking short cuts. Rather than start completely over do a revamp and fix what's already there. There's a reason it's not looking "like the book."

I guess I am trying to say that at 12, kids want to do it their way they want their own style, and if it's readable, if format on the page is well done, if rules are important, and if effort is there at times, then I would be satisfied. They know.

That's really all I'm striving for. Legibility. About 10% of the time I can read what she writes easily. The other 90%....well it's hit or miss..lol. She keeps saying "Can't I have my own style?" I tell her sure, as long as it's a style I can READ!