Menu

Favorite Easter Dishes? New ones? Old Standards?

I love cooking and get in a rut making the same dishes every year and they turn out well but lack variety. This year we were invited to dd's godparents home for a gathering and I brought this dish. It is insanely delicious and pleased the other guests. I understand why people swear by her version . Follow the link to carbohydrate and dairy bliss. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mac-and-cheese-recipe2/index.html I broke out of my routine and although it was a bit costly due to the gruyere cheese it was a winner. Did anyone else try a new recipe this year or an old standard that you just are pleased with year after year? Share please???

Edited by elizabeth
this woman cannot type!!!

You Americans have particular dishes you cook at Easter?

Rosie

Don't look at me. Easter is pretty low key around my house, and I never plan a special Easter meal. Plus, I ran the children's event at our church yesterday, which meant I was exhausted by the time we got home and wasn't up to much more than napping on the floor with the puppy.

We had homemade pizza/calzones and watched a movie.

You have to remember, though, that we're one of those "nonbeliever" families.

You have to remember, though, that we're one of those "nonbeliever" families.

Of course. You're not a reliable source, my dear ;) *pulls Jenny's leg* Even back when I lived at home (Mum is Christian) there was nothing special about dinner on Easter Sunday. Good Friday was fish, Easter Saturday was vegetarian but Easter Sunday was just any old dinner. When I saw the thread title I wondered if there was some huge American Easter food tradition I hadn't picked up on. You guys seem to be able to do a remarkable lot of things with pumpkin ;)

:)

Rosie

We always do lamb on Easter. Some years, I've roasted a leg of lamb, studded with garlic slivers and rubbed with salt, pepper, and thyme. A couple years, including this one, we've had immediate family only (4 of us) so I've grilled lamb chops after marinating them overnight in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and fresh rosemary. The chops are nice because they only take a few minutes and so you can have a midday meal without leaving stuff in the oven while we're at Mass (which always makes me nervous!)

We typically have new potatoes, asparagus, salad, a cheese course, and some kind of fruit tart for dessert. DH broke his Lenten fast from alcohol this year with a beautiful 2004 Fontanafredda Barolo.

You Americans have particular dishes you cook at Easter?

No pumpkin on this one!:) Just lots of egg dishes, lamb and/or ham. We traditionally have ham and deviled eggs and then fill with lots of other dishes. Part of the *tradition* may well come from what grocery stores are promoting. Sweet potatoes were on special this week, so we had sweet potatoes.

The real tradition is putting away those black shoes and wearing the whites for the first time! Do you all do that? White shoes only between Easter and Labor Day?

Lisa

The real tradition is putting away those black shoes and wearing the whites for the first time! Do you all do that? White shoes only between Easter and Labor Day?

Lisa

Up here in Canada, the tradition was no white shoes before May 24 (Queen Victoria's birthday, and kind of the unofficial start of nice weather - it's the long weekend when many people open up their cottages after the winter). But I think the shoe thing has kinda gone by the wayside. In fact, we don't see many white shoes at ANY time these days.

My sister brought a delicious dish, but it's not a traditional Easter dish. For some reason my mom asked for a sweet potato casserole even though that's a traditional Thanksgiving dish. It was by far the best that I have ever had and I don't like sweet potato casseroles. It was gone long before the rest of the food and everyone asked for the recipe--weird. I asked for the recipe too, so here it is

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1679136

bookmark it for Thanksgiving.

We don't have a particular, set menu for Easter, but dinner is usually ham plus sides. Chilled strawberry soup is mandatory, according to the dc. It is a very easy recipe but for some reason I never make it except Easter dinner. So, every Easter dinner begins w/ strawberry soup. If anyone is interested, I will post the recipe.

We did have ham but only because I was having a craving and our store had a good sale. We did make sweet potatoes. I cut them up with olive oil and seasonings and roasted them. Even dh loved them and he has never liked the traditional candied yams that you have with Thanksgiving. We also had brussel sprouts and rolls. Oh, and deviled eggs of course. You have to do something with all those colored eggs! :001_smile:

Ham was always on the menu for Easter when I was growing up..along with Potato salad as I recall. I can't remember much else.

I usualy make ham, altho I do remember making BBQ chicken for my extended family when we were able to buy it cheap.

Usually my dinner includes Broccoli salad, ham, deviled eggs or potatoe salad and rolls.

Since my family is now getting older and there are new familes being formed, new traditions are being added.

Yesterday my DD hosted the festivities for the first time and it was fun to just attend and not do everything! she made a ham and cheesy potatoes along with deviled eggs after the big hunt was over.

I brought a feta cheese, toasted almonds and craisins salad with homemade Balsamic vinegrette and homemade 7 grain bread.

My older son's girlfriend made her Mom's Cheese Manicotti. It was delicious and a very welcome addition to our meal, especially since we had several non red meat eaters and one vegetarian. She also brought asparagus..num.

My younger son's girlfirend made the dessert. I believe it is called Eclair dessert. It is layers of graham crackers, pudding and topped with a chocolate sauce. I have made it myself and it never turned out as well as her's did yesteday.

So yes, we had a few new additions and it was wonderful!