Menu

heirloom seeds - best places to buy?

• 1 year later...

Try Fedco. They aren't exclusively heirloom, but the majority of their seeds are open-pollinated. They are a co-op, their seeds are the cheapest you'll find, and I've always been totally satisfied with their quality.

The only downsides: They are out of Maine, and specialize in varieties that perform well in cooler climates. The catalog is B&W with no pictures of the vegies (although you can look at these online).

I agree with Sunkirst - Fedco is a good company. Some of their seeds have not grown out as well as those from other places because we've had occasional off-types (plants that do not turn out as expected, such as large white sugar beets growing in the middle of my red beet patch). Not all of their seeds are hybrid.

Most seed companies sell at least some non-hybrid seeds. Favorites of mine that sell both hybrids and non-hybrids are:

Pinetree

Johnny's

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (I think SESE sells only non-hybrids)

Le Jardin du Gourmet

Park Seed

Notice that these are all East Coast companies. I live in the mid-Atlantic. If you live in a different region I strongly encourage you to seek out companies in your area. For instance, I used to order from Territorial Seed, a great company, but their seeds did not grow out as well for me as I thought they should because they are from the West Coast.

HTH. Happy seed shopping!

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden
typo

Baker Creek Farm http://rareseeds.com/

all heirloom, all organic and the corn is tested for GMOs.

I planted my garden with them this year (hundred's worth) and had the best garden yet. Make sure you get Paul Robeson tomatoes-best tomatoes we've ever-ever eaten. My brother was asked to grow them for a deli, they were so well loved. http://rareseeds.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=paul+robeson+tomato&searchbox=products&Submit=

And Jere, the owner, is a former homeschooler. He has an amazing story.