Menu

What is a good beginner sewing project my 10 dd? I don't sew.

My dd 9 has started taking lessons, in her first class they made simple tote bags. They pretty much folded a section of fabrin in half, sewed up the 2 sides and then added a handle. In the second level they made pj pants. SHe is set to do levels 1 and 2 again starting in May, her level 1 project this time is a pillow case, level 2 is a pair of shorts. I think of those 4 projects the pillowcases will by far be the easiest.

In my dd's first sewing class, the first project was a stuff sack. They first sewed 5 or 6 long strips together (each strip was about 7inches wide, and three feet long). They sewed the long sides together to make a large rectangle. Then, they folded the rectangle in half to make a bag. They hemmed the top (a wide hem, first folding a half-inch, then folded two inches down and sewing around to make a casing. They fed a fat cord through to make a pull-cord. By the time they sewed all those strips together, they were quite good at sewing a straight seam. Finishing it off was a cinch.

Their second project was a wind-sock sort of thing. Again, they used long strips. This time, they sewed the first 12 inches together, all the way around to make a circle. Then, they hemmed the remaining strips to fly around in the breeze. They made a hemmed casing around the circle end. We were supposed to insert a wire hanger through the casing, to make a wind sock, but we never finished.

Her third project was a pair of flannel shorts (could have been long pants, but there wasn't enough of the fabric she liked). :o)

Fourth project was a fleece pull-over. Very cool.

I would start by taking the owners manual to your machine and helping her understand how a machine works and how to do things like thread the needle and wind the bobbin.

I would then have her cut out two squares the size of a pillow form (you can get them in various sizes)and make herself a pillow. This will help her get a 'feel' of the machine and running it. You should cut the fabric 5/8th of an inch bigger on each side than the form. Leave 1/2-3/4 one side unsewn, turn the fabric, put form in and hand sew the opening. (I wish I was close, as this isn't sounding quite like it should. I would love to help her and you.)

I would then go to a pattern department at a fabric store. Look for quick sew or easy sew patterns with mostly strait lines. and let her make herself something to wear that is simple such as a pair of shorts, a tank top, a straight skirt with elastic waist.

Do you have a neighbor, grandma, aunt that would be able to help you with the beginning steps.

Happy sewing! It can be so much fun.

Do you have a Joann's or similar store near you? They generally do sewing lessons in the summer. You might also try your parks and rec department.

There are also kits availablethat include everthing you need to handsew a simple item; I'd probably go this route first if your dd has no experience at all with any of the needle arts. I used to THINK I wanted to sew, but then I tried it and learned that I really didn't :lol:

Her reaction to the process of handsewing a few simple items should be a fairly good guage to see if she really wants to learn in earnest.

My mom, who is the sewing genius in the family, handles sewing lessons for my dd. If she didn't, it would be some kind of outside class for us.

Do you want the "classical" sewing project? :lol: It's a gingham apron.

I don't think your dd would want to use an apron, so for a first project I'd go with the pillow case followed by a tote bag with a draw string. But I would use a 1/4" gingham print fabric if you can find it. (Gingham is a checkered print) The gingham print provide you with straight cutting lines and guide lines for sewing.

Thank you ladies, I do have a sewing machine that is collecting dust. I purchased it thinking I was going to take classes, but like a lot of things this never got done. I will get try to find the hand sewn one first like mentioned. I think I will have a pretty good feel if she will continue.

I didn't know that they had sewing classes for kids. I think she will love making her own pillowcases. Maybe I should join her in the class if they let me, I have a feeling they will send me with the older ladies:tongue_smilie:.

Thanks everyone :auto:.

Thank you ladies' date=' I do have a sewing machine that is collecting dust. I purchased it thinking I was going to take classes, but like a lot of things this never got done. I will get try to find the hand sewn one first like mentioned. I think I will have a pretty good feel if she will continue.

I didn't know that they had sewing classes for kids. I think she will love making her own pillowcases. Maybe I should join her in the class if they let me, I have a feeling they will send me with the older ladies:tongue_smilie:.

Thanks everyone :auto:.[/quote']

I took classes at JoAnn's for 6 months when I was first learning. It was money well spent.

Jennie

Seconding the replies about a class through Joanne's or Michael's.

Also, if your dd wants to try hand-sewing, there are some really cool, fun felt sewing project on Etsy. Many of the folks selling patterns will mail you a free pattern if you join their mailing list. One lady mailed me a pattern for a sushi roll -- basically really cute play food. If you'd like the pattern, go to http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6192066 and contact her via the info on her page.

I also got a couple of great hand-sewing book recommendations on this thread (and there's a link for a different felt food pattern -- a strawberry -- from Etsy on that thread too):

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87890

Thank you Stacia, I now she will love this. I will sign up right-away. This is right up her alley. :001_smile:

Kathy, thank you, but I'm afraid I'm new at this and I don't know what 4-H stands for :confused:. I've seen it mentioned at other threads, I feel really :tongue_smilie:. I have a feeling I should know. I'f you can kindy reply I would really appreciate.:001_rolleyes:. I'm a future HMSCer and I'm learning as I go. I just joined last week.

Thank you Stacia' date=' I now she will love this. I will sign up right-away. This is right up her alley. :001_smile:

[b']Kathy, thank you, but I'm afraid I'm new at this and I don't know what 4-H stands for :confused:.[/b] I've seen it mentioned at other threads, I feel really :tongue_smilie:. I have a feeling I should know. I'f you can kindy reply I would really appreciate.:001_rolleyes:. I'm a future HMSCer and I'm learning as I go. I just joined last week.

http://4-h.org/

Jennie

Stitches and Pins

This site has information about the book and resources to go with it. You can get it from Rainbow Resource.

You can also visit a local state extension office (4-H.) There are some great project books available that take you through all sorts of projects.

Good beginner projects are pillowcases, tote bags, simple aprons, and quilted potholders.

4-H is a youth organization for kids 8 or so to age 18. They teach the kids many types of skills. The most basic are projects, such as sewing, dog obedience, cooking, woodworking, livestock, and arts and crafts. There is also training and competition in areas such as public speaking, written communication, judging, fashion review, and resume preparation. Leadership training an experience is gained as members take on officer positions in their club, become junior leaders and form the senior council (these projects, names and responsibilities vary from state to state.)

Much of the 4-H'ers work is exhibited at the county fair. It's a very good organization.

Thank you Cathy, this sounds like a great organization and will definetly look into it. I must be under a rock, their all over the place. My daughter was in Girl Scouts for many years and stopped going. I was thinking of returning, but this one seems better. It seems more academic and challenging.