Menu

Need Laundry Help - infant poopies

My 2mo leaks through to at least one, often 2 outfits every day with that lovely mustard yellow poo. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, we use ALL free and clear detergent, (which I've put directly on the mess), Shout spray, and Oxyclean. The only thing that works most of the time is to soak the clothes in very hot water and Oxyclean all day/night, and then laundering again. I've even tried using the soak cycle on the washer with oxyclean and that doesn't do it.

I'm just wondering if there is anything that will get these stains out without having to soak them for 12-24 hours. I do laundry every day, so I can usually get the dirty clothes into the washer without too much delay.

Do you have a clothes line? I don't know about clothes, but I know with cloth diapers when they become stained with poo you can lay them in the sun. It works really well at getting the stains out. I know it sounds odd, but it works. Maybe you could either line dry them in the sun, or just lay them out on a nice sunny day.

You might want to try sunning them. That's what I do with stained cloth diapers.

Sunning usually worked for me, too. If it doesn't, the next time you know you are going to have a heavy rain, go hang them out on the line. I discovered this by accident, but it power-washed the stains right out, and the diapers became so soft! (And this was with set-in stains, not fresh ones.)

Guest Katia

I used Era liquid and a toothbrush to scrub it into the stain, and I don't remember any of my babies clothing not coming clean, and none of my dc had any reactions to the detergent.

I seem to recall Bi-O-Kleen's enzyme cleaner sprayed right on worked very well with those kind of "organic" stains.

If that didn't work you could always wash them like I did my cloth diapers - I'd soak in cold (in the washer) with washing soda, then launder them in hot, then warm. (I'm sure an outfit wouldn't need the second wash cycle - I wanted to make sure the diapers were really clean). None of my diapers ever had stains.

I could sometimes get my dd's out with color safe bleach. It is made from peroxide and worked well enough I kept it in stock. I would pour it directly on the soiled area and let it sit before washing. Then washed in hot water. Sometimes I also pretreated with Dawn dish detergent at the recomendation of a friend. It worked as well.

Use more than the recommended amount of Oxyclean that you have preactivated with hot water and then allowed to cool BEFORE adding the soiled clothing, soak overnight, and add a scoop of Purex powdered detergent.

It's just as mild as All Free & Clear, but a box is less than $3 and when DD was that age would last our family of five three to four weeks even though we cloth diapered.