Menu

Galloping the Globe?

Shannon in TN

We used this in a co-op we belong to years ago. I think the ages were 7 and 8. The kids loved it and learned a lot. Every mom took a different country each week. the book had great project ideas and suggestions.

It was great in a co-op setting because we could do a lot with our one country. I don't know how it would work for home use.

Great program though!

I did this with my son in kindergarten and we both have very fond memories of it. I mostly used books from the library because even though I bought the core books, I didn't really care for them.

Each week or two, I would head to the library with my GTG book and check out a bunch of their recommendations for whatever country we were studying. We usually did a craft or made a meal related to the country. My kids will never forget sitting on cushions in our bathrobes and eating at a low table with chopsticks when we were studying Japan. We made sugar cube igloos when we did The Poles, ate melted chocolate on french bread when we studied the Netherlands, made papier mache volcanos when we read about Mexico and did some of the awesome papercraft activities from the 3D Canon Papercraft site for some of the other countries.

There is a series of videos that we got at the library called A Family from Russia, Australia, etc. Those were great! We also enjoyed the Look What Came From _____ series.

I highly recommend GTG. We enjoyed it so much, that I usually try to do another country or two each summer when we are done with our SL reading for the year.

Lisa

We used it in first grade with my oldest and really liked it. It reminds me of Five in a Row, just organized differently. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I thought it did cover middle eastern countries? Even if it doesn't you could add a country or two on your own (we did). It is teacher intensive in that, you will have to go to the library to find books about the country you're studying. They do recommend books, but I couldn't always find them. Think of it like a year of unit studies on countries. If that's your thing, you'll love it. If not, you might want to look for something else.

HTH!

Blessings,

Dorinda

Those video sound great and I couldn't find them in our library system.

A.

Well, I realized I didn't give the correct title for the videos. There are 2 series that we enjoyed. One was the Families of the World series and the other was My Family From ______. Hope you can find them.

Lisa

I'm planning on using it in the fall for my Ker and 2nd grader. I haven't decided exactly how we will do it, though. I hate blasting through all the countries in one year bc I know my ds...and I know he won't remember much of it if I did. (This had been my original intention). So, I think we will try to cover 2, 3 or maybe 4 continents (not sure what we'll actually have time for yet), and also spend a few weeks at the beginning of the year on maps etc. I think this looks like alot of fun. As other people have said, you COULD pull it together yourself...I'm a person who does this with alot of subjects like history and science....however, this is inexpensive and I love their choices in books and activities, so in my opinion it's worth the $ bc of all the time it saved me. :001_smile: