Menu

We bought a Sony eReader!

I am so excited.

Since we bought it prior to March 31st, we also get 100 free titles from their eStore (have to choose by April 30th).

I was looking at our booklists for the next 3 years (high school) and thought - GAH! This is going to kill us financially! (we don't have access to a good library). Then it dawned on me that most of the "classics" are actually in the public domain and can be easily downloaded. It sucks to read books on the computer, but this little thing is easy on the eyes and portable.

And, unlike the Kindle, I can get books from almost anywhere. I'm going to start choosing my 100 books today...

asta

Congrats--- I agree the technology is awesome and totally cost effective. Plus, I love the fact that I'm not bringing more paper into my already overrun house.

But I do have a quick correction: I have a new Kindle 2 (love it love it love it)... and I too can get books from anywhere! Don't think it only takes books from Amazon... you can download any of the other formats as well right of the web wirelessly. I'm not sure how the rumor started that you have to use only Kindle books, but it isn't true. I've bought only 6 books thus far (and subscribed to Newsweek), but I have over 200 books on my Kindle now. Many were free from Amazon, but I got a lot of others from various free book places online. I know they work!

But I do have a quick correction: I have a new Kindle 2 (love it love it love it)... and I too can get books from anywhere! Don't think it only takes books from Amazon... you can download any of the other formats as well right of the web wirelessly. I'm not sure how the rumor started that you have to use only Kindle books, but it isn't true.

Hey - that is good to know. I actually read that on Amazon's site. Perhaps it is their way of trying to get people only to buy their books!

asta

I was really thinking I wanted one for christmas. They sell the Sony E readers at the bx, but then I thought I really wanted a Kindle. But you can't download from over here is what I was being told. So then I thougth I'd wait till we get home. Well that's going to be in two months, but now I don't know what I'm going to do.

I do know that I'm going to be wishing I had either of them both on our trip to China in a week as well as when we finally fly home and everythign that is involved with that trip.

It really does sound wonderful. Especially the 100 free books part!

we may get a Sony e-reader too! My dh likes to read the New York Times everyday on the Kindle and I like to read other e-books. But we'll probably wait awhile before we get a Sony (waiting for newer version).

My 15 yo ds wants all his high school textbooks on the computer or e-reader. He hates carrying all his heavy books.

Be careful selecting your 100 free books--make sure you're not getting a title you could get for free somewhere else.

Enjoy!

Hey - that is a great point!

I'm currently compiling reading lists for the next 3 years of High School, and there are definitely a bunch of titles that could come from Gutenberg instead.

----------------

As to comparing the two, I read the reviews sections on Sony.com and also on Amazon, as there are people who have purchased both. I really think it comes down to what you need it for and for personal preference. I don't need much of what the Kindle offers, and I prefer the layout and construction of the Sony.

Additionally, although both devices can download directly off of the internet with a USB cable, the Kindle is designed to hook up to a wireless download thing that isn't available in all areas (like mine). The Kindle 2 no longer (apparently) has a slot to put in an SD chip for storing more books or "libraries" of books. The Sony has 2 chip slots.

I'm just glad I had a choice.

asta

I was really thinking I wanted one for christmas. They sell the Sony E readers at the bx, but then I thought I really wanted a Kindle. But you can't download from over here is what I was being told. So then I thougth I'd wait till we get home. Well that's going to be in two months, but now I don't know what I'm going to do.

I do know that I'm going to be wishing I had either of them both on our trip to China in a week as well as when we finally fly home and everythign that is involved with that trip.

It really does sound wonderful. Especially the 100 free books part!

Actually you CAN still download books...just not wirelessly. You just plug the USB cable into your computer and the Kindle and download from the amazon site (or where ever). And you need a credit card with a U.S. address. Can you tell I've researched it for our move to Malaysia? :D

I wonder if there's a plan to bring the Kindle to Canada. Has anyone heard of that? I'd love a Kindle, but can't use it here. Maybe I should buy one in the States, and just use the USB connection at home. Or wait... Or the Sony e-reader. I wonder which one of the two makes reading the more pleasurable.

I wonder if there's a plan to bring the Kindle to Canada. Has anyone heard of that? I'd love a Kindle, but can't use it here. Maybe I should buy one in the States, and just use the USB connection at home. Or wait... Or the Sony e-reader. I wonder which one of the two makes reading the more pleasurable.

Why would you need to buy one in the states? Will amazon not ship it to you?

You might be able to use it in Canada strictly through your computer. They said technically it would work but another hitch. You need a "one-click" purchase account setup at amazon.com that is tied to a US credit card with a US address. They are still working out import/export issues for international purchases.

Edited by Hathersage
typing error

When I was researching them, I read that the one I got (Sony 505) was much easier to read on then the "newer" version (700 or something). This was because the 700 had a touch screen, and the material used caused a glare of some sort.

From what I've read, the 505 Sony and the Kindle "look" about the same.

asta

I download books wirelessly all the time from free sites. You just use your browser to go to the site. You can't download Mp3 music or audible books wirelessly, though--those you need to connect to the USB. I've got multiple audible books on mine, as well as background music for my reading.

Can you tell I love my Kindle 2? I didn't post when I got it because I was at my brother's funeral that week--the Kindle was a "Feel better with technology" gift from my dh.

I download books wirelessly all the time from free sites. You just use your browser to go to the site. You can't download Mp3 music or audible books wirelessly, though--those you need to connect to the USB. I've got multiple audible books on mine, as well as background music for my reading.

Can you tell I love my Kindle 2? I didn't post when I got it because I was at my brother's funeral that week--the Kindle was a "Feel better with technology" gift from my dh.

How kind of him.

Can you download e-books that are from your library onto the Sony or the Kindle??

Kindle users--how do you like the audio books??? I heard it online and it was a computer reading it to you. Are all audio books like that?

Sony users--I was reading reviews on the 505 and the 700. Most say they like the 505 over 700. What are your thoughts on this?

Does anyone have experience with either the Sony or the Kindle II for reading PDFs of non-formatted book from Google Books?

There are so many rare out of print books I now read on a computer monitor that I'd like to read on an e-reader, but I'm concerned about the "formatting."

Any thoughts?

Bill

Does anyone have experience with either the Sony or the Kindle II for reading PDFs of non-formatted book from Google Books
This recent announcement may be of interest. The Google Books are going to be available for free download from the Sony eBook store.

This recent announcement may be of interest. The Google Books are going to be available for free download from the Sony eBook store.

MOST INTERESTING!!!!

Thank you. I laughed at:

All of Google’s archived books are about as old as your granddad, if your granddad were 80-years-old.

First, my father is older than that. Second, it's the old books that interest me.

Thanks Moira :001_smile:

Bill

I am so excited.

Since we bought it prior to March 31st, we also get 100 free titles from their eStore (have to choose by April 30th).

I was looking at our booklists for the next 3 years (high school) and thought - GAH! This is going to kill us financially! (we don't have access to a good library). Then it dawned on me that most of the "classics" are actually in the public domain and can be easily downloaded. It sucks to read books on the computer, but this little thing is easy on the eyes and portable.

And, unlike the Kindle, I can get books from almost anywhere. I'm going to start choosing my 100 books today...

asta

Where did you buy it from? I was planning to purchase one but after seeing your post I think I need to do it before the 31st so I can get 100 free books! I don't see anything about free titles on the Sony site, or anywhere else I look (like Amazon), though.

Thank you!

Jessica

Kindle will read: Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (formats 4, Audible Enhanced (AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC as they are without converstion (you can wirelessly download them directly). Actually, you can listen to the Audible books and MP3s, they don't show up visually... you can use headphones or the built in speakers.

You can also convert and read (meaning, you have to email it to your Kindle and connect to your computer): PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP

My dh had a whole bunch of novels, stories, etc that he had written, and they are now all on my Kindle. Free book sites include : Manybooks.net, mobileread.com, feedbooks.com, and Project Guttenberg. Since the Kindle has a built in web browser (text heavy sites only, no flash) you can download books wirelessly from the net in a matter of seconds. Most of my free books, however, came from Kindle itself (you can search Amazon by price to find them)--mostly public domain books like the others, but publishers also have "free book" promotions that are announced in the Kindle store (the wireless Amazon store) and I've gotten free romance novels (a bunch--pretty bad, but sometimes I'm in the mood) free sci-fi and fantasy, some free business books. If it is offered for free, I take it... Even so, I've only to 175 books on now, a small portion of the 1500 it will hold.

I can't say how much I love it. I hate spending money on expensive gadgets, and if dh hadn't taken the initiative I would never have bought it. But I use it constantly. Every day. It has more than been worth it.