Menu

Need Salad suggestions

I never put bottles of salad dressing on the table. I decide what dressing I will use, and I toss the salad with that.

You can find a basic vinagrette (sp?) dressing in any cookbook or web site. Or you can just toss your salad with olive oil (extra virgin), then with vinegar, and sprinkle with fresh-chopped tarragon, maybe some chives, and salt.

I go easy (lazy?) and make a salad with Romaine lettuce, Roma or cherry tomoatoes, some diced red onion, maybe some carrot shavings/slices, fresh mushrooms, cucumbers, maybe add some fresh spinach leaves, and add a very simplified version of my French MIL's dressing......Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Raspberry Vinegar (Maitre Jacques is my fave brand)----three spoonsful of Olive oil to one spoon vinegar (I let it overflow just a bit, as I love the vinegar). That's it. My hubby and kids love it, as does my French BIL.

For the dressing, the spoon size depends on how much salad you are making....for an individual side salad, probably a teaspoon... a dinner salad, I use a tablespoon, and if I am making a big bowl to serve from, I use a hostess sized spoon. I just pour the dressing on the salad and toss.

If you want a fancier dressing, you can add a bit of sugar (a pinch for side salad, a bit more for dinner salad, and maybe 1/2 tsp for a big serving bowl), and a bit of freshly minced garlic to taste. I'm lazy, though, so I just whittled it down to the oil and vinegar. :tongue_smilie:

If you are lucky, and have access to some nice Nicoise olives, those would be incredible sprinkled throughout the salad (just warn guests about the pits).

Here's one... It's not Mediterranean, but it's very fresh and yummy.

~Holly

*Confetti Salad*

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained

1 can hearts of palm, drained and sliced in medallions

1 red pepper, chopped

1 green pepper, chapped

Dressing...

1/4 cup olive oil

2 Tbsp. finely minced cilantro, fresh (can omit if you can't get it...or use a little dried dill)

6-8 dashes Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. Dijon mustard

salt and black pepper to taste

Mix and pour the dressing over combined veggies, toss, chill for a few hours...over night is best. I actually mix up the dressing in a hand-held blender.

It's colorful and yummy ENJOY!

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions, they all sound delicious and I can't wait to try them! I ended up doing a salad with romaine, cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes. I made a dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, and a teeny bit of sugar. Oh and a put feta cheese on it. It got eaten all gone!