Menu

What are you using for art?

Quiver0f10

I'd like something we could do together and prefer a DVD curriculum, but it isn't a must. I am looking at God and the History of Art, Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade and Atelier. Anyone use these? I'd love to hear your reviews. What else is out there? Thanks :)

We love God and the History of Art. At times the art instruction is difficult for my kids (10, 7 and 7) but the history portion is fantastic. My kids blew my dh and I away when we visited the Smithsonian Art Museum with how much they understood about art and the artists themselves. It's also great because it can fit into yoru history cycle. We use MFW so the TM does that for us but I don't think it would be too difficult to do on your own.

My DH paints as a hobby and he teaches our DD art. He loves the clear assignments in Art Adventures at Home. They require almost no prep time and 90% of the time we have the supplies around the house. It's not a DVD program, but it's also not very expensive. There are about 36 weekly lessons and the Jr High/Sr High book includes lessons for 3 years, so it's a great deal!

dhudson, we have almost completed God and the History of Art :) . I love....love...love it. I have actually learned so much doing it along with my kids. And I agree, the history is amazing and it incorporates the Bible and Christian World View. I have been doing the section that goes along with the time period we are doing with history. I have written to Sonlight and suggested that they offer it. What I do is have my kids (and my enrichment students) do light research to go along with it. I love it...did I already say that?

This was too difficult and frustrating for my dc. We started it last summer, and worked through the first few projects; only my eldest ds (12 at the time) really did well. So, I would only recommend it for students with quite a bit of art background or older students. As always, YMMV.

Have looked at How Great Thou Art curriculum? You mentioned a DVD curriculum and "How Great Thou Art" has won a lot of awards. I haven't personally used them, but they we are just getting started (just have a K'er right now). I was an Art Teacher previous homeschooling and I like what I see from them and Artistic Pursuits. We will probably go Artistic Pursuits next year just because I like the progression of using certain art materials in order (learning how to use color, marker, then oil pastels, paint, etc). They seem to do this to some degree and integrate Art History. Hope this helps.

Oh--here's a link http://www.howgreatthouart.com/ProductPage1.asp?CategoryID=9

We love How to Teach Art to Children (Evan Moor). It's super simple but has projects which teach all the elements of design. Even my preschooler and toddler do it (albeit in their own way!!!). If I were to get it again, I'd get it in the downloadable form at currclick so I wouldn't have to make copies.