Menu

Why does English have to be so hard to learn to read.

I'm about to loose my mind! I wasn't taught to read using phonics so a lot of what I'm teaching my dc is new to me. It is sooo confusing to me so I can understand why my dc are struggling. I would really just like to who a whole language approach and be done with it! I'm making myself a nervous wreck trying to figure this all out. There are so many different ways to spell one sound, and the one sound can be spelled many different ways, my head is spinning! :banghead: Lucky are those whose children just pick it up like nothing!

Want a nice piece of my chocolate cake with choc kisses hidden inside and coconut frosting on top? Sometimes chocolate and a break, a nice walk in the park, will solve a lot of problems. And if it helps, you have my permission to throw the book at the wall. Just throw it, see if you feel better! :)

My two oldest went to ps and by the end of 1st grade could read anything they put their hands on. I don't ever remember not knowing how to read. My parents tell me that they didn't teach me, but that I already knew how to read before I even went to kindergarten. It is as natural to me as breathing. Trying to teach my girl has been so confusing. I'm using Saxon phonics and I am sticking with it just to be consistant.. I asked for help with my daughter and got a bunch of recommendations but they all made my head spin and/or I didn't understand them and Saxon is very scripted. As it turns out part of the reason my daughter was having trouble was vision processing problems. But I find exceptions all the time and don't have a clue how to explain it all. PLEASE give me a poem to dissect or a piece of literature to analyze. I HATE TEACHING READING!!!

Christine

Want a nice piece of my chocolate cake with choc kisses hidden inside and coconut frosting on top? Sometimes chocolate and a break, a nice walk in the park, will solve a lot of problems. And if it helps, you have my permission to throw the book at the wall. Just throw it, see if you feel better! :)

LOL I actually hit the book against my head I was so frustrated! Do they really need to know every last vowel team and letter combo to learn to read?

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/3RsPlusRead.html This is an EASY way to teach reading. NO teaching rules, etc. the kids just put all of the sounds---taught slowly and systematically to work by READING books.

Check out the link to the UK site at the link above for even more samples of the program.

If you want to see more samples of the first 3 sets of books, email me.

http://www.roadstoeverywhere.com/3RsPlusRead.html This is an EASY way to teach reading. NO teaching rules, etc. the kids just put all of the sounds---taught slowly and systematically to work by READING books.

Check out the link to the UK site at the link above for even more samples of the program.

If you want to see more samples of the first 3 sets of books, email me.

You have sent me some! ;) For some reason I like to drive myself crazy with phonics programs. We are still using the books though. We just started ARI 1. :001_smile:

If you're using ARI, I'd personally stop the phonics and switch to spelling. Spelling Workout is user friendly, but there are lots of programs out there that will get you where you need to go. I think Ottakee used Apples & Pears to go with BRI/ARI, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you're using ARI, I'd personally stop the phonics and switch to spelling. Spelling Workout is user friendly, but there are lots of programs out there that will get you where you need to go. I think Ottakee used Apples & Pears to go with BRI/ARI, but I'm not 100% sure.

We have All About Spelling so I'm considering using it for spelling and reading. I think Abecedarian has just really thrown me for a loop!

This is EXACTLY what I would say to do. DROP the phonics, etc. for now and just do the ARI set 1 and 2 (sets 3 and 4 with the old numbering) and THEN start spelling with Apples and Pears.

You will save yourself and your child a LOT of headaches and struggles.

http://www.prometheantrust.org/soundfoundationsbooks.htm If you scroll down you can see the Apples and Pears books. Click the see inside and you can see the ENTIRE book---workbook and teacher's book. It is a bit hard to see as all of the directions are in the teacher's book while the student books just have place for them to write.

The program uses lots of activities that include blending, tracing, filling in the blanks, copying, puzzles, writing sentences, etc. There are no word lists to "memorize" for the week, etc. You just do 1 page or 1 level a day (depending on how fast your student can go) and they keep repeating the words and building from there.

Could you explain how Apples and Pears works?

My kids were public schooled in K. The schools had pretty much dropped phonics. The reasoning was similar to what you are mentioning -- learning via phonics takes time. They wanted kids to "feel successful" right away.

Problem is that kids who memorize are missing many skills. My youngest taught himself by memorizing. He wasn't able to transfer word skills from one word to another similar word. He memorized words he knew and used, but had to start over with words that weren't used by gradeschoolers. He didn't see the patterns in spellings. If he couldn't spell a word on his first guess, he didn't know which spelling was 2nd most likely but instead made random guesses & memorized the correct one. He also didn't see patterns in meanings, so different forms of the same word had to be learned separately.

I've spent 3rd through 7th grade gradually adding back in bits of phonics, for a kid who knew how to read before K.

I'd say your time is well spent, even if it's tearing your air out! Just one experience.

Julie

I'm about to loose my mind! I wasn't taught to read using phonics so a lot of what I'm teaching my dc is new to me. It is sooo confusing to me so I can understand why my dc are struggling. I would really just like to who a whole language approach and be done with it! I'm making myself a nervous wreck trying to figure this all out. There are so many different ways to spell one sound, and the one sound can be spelled many different ways, my head is spinning! :banghead: Lucky are those whose children just pick it up like nothing!

Would you consider a different program? I am using OPGTR and having much success with it after a less than stellar start with dd 5. SWB told me at a conference if the kids are having a problem, especially when they start to cry at phonics/reading lesson time, then stop 2 weeks. Give them a break and start with something new. I'm guessing whatever you start with you won't have to go to the very beginning. Good luck.

Stick with phonics, it works. Thems my $.02. Of course I have only taught 3 dc to read so far so take it FWIW.:D

Would you consider a different program? I am using OPGTR and having much success with it after a less than stellar start with dd 5. SWB told me at a conference if the kids are having a problem, especially when they start to cry at phonics/reading lesson time, then stop 2 weeks. Give them a break and start with something new. I'm guessing whatever you start with you won't have to go to the very beginning. Good luck.

Stick with phonics, it works. Thems my $.02. Of course I have only taught 3 dc to read so far so take it FWIW.:D

We did try OPGTR and he hated it. I would think 3 dc to read is quite an accomplishment!