Menu

Is it too late to do SOTW with my 4th grade ds?

iammommy

We've studied Native Americans and European Explorers, but I really want to start at the beginning and do history chronologically. Is it too late to do SOTW with my son. who will be in 5th grade this coming fall? Is it too simplistic for a 5th grader? A bit about my ds...he is NOT interested in history. I'm hoping that will change. He's a decent reader, but a very reluctant writer. I want him to become comfortable with history. Hakim is a bit too long and involved.

Also, has anybody used the free Mosaic curriculum that's online with SOTW?

Any other suggestions are welcome. If we do ancients in 5th grade, what will follow in 6th, 7th and 8th? Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is totally new to me!

Nan

Sonlight uses these books in Cores 6 and 7 which can be used as late as 8th and 9th grades.

I tried it with a first grader and will never again attempt to take history that seriously with a little kid.

My 11 yo ds found the audio version too juvenile for his tastes though--and this is my auditory learner :confused:

My older started hs'ing in 5th grade, and we did SOTW-1. He is now in 8th grade, and we are finishing up SOTW-4 this year (golly! has it really passed so quickly? wow-zers!)

I think my first post on the board was about "Wouldn't a book designed for a first grader be too...dumb?...for a 5th grader?" and I was inundated with how wonderful the series is, and how so many MOMS learn so much from it. I can say without any regrets that I am so glad we took their advice. SOTW has been the high-light of our homeschool.

Best wishes!

It's not too late at all. I introduced SOTW to my son last year in the 7th grade. He's devoured 3 of them from then and is about to begin the last book. It's been an excellent world history overview before highschool.

It has given him a love for history that he didn't have before that.

HTH,

Dee in Sunny FL!

We tried SOTW at the beginning of this year and although the kids liked listening, they weren't really retaining much. I think SOTW will be a better fit in 2 years when ds is in 4th and dd is in 3rd. I'm one of those moms who really like to listen to the audio in the car :auto:.

I would get the AG if I were starting with a 5th grader. You won't use the coloring sheets or many of the picture book suggestions, although there are a few for older kids. I do think the narration questions and mapwork would be worthwhile especially if you've never done oral narration before. There are definitely some projects that even a 5th grader would enjoy and be able to do largely on their own.