Menu

Chicken, again. Yaaawwwnnn...

Okay, we've been trying to cut back on red meat, so lots of chicken lately. :sleep:

I need an easy RECIPE for chicken -- something spicy would be just the ticket for dear hubby! Maybe with red or Roman beans.... Hmm, anyone from the Southwest out there, LOL?

Anyone, anywhere -- what are your favorite, easy recipes for chicken? I'm :bigear:. Thanks!

We do chicken tacos a lot. I bake chicken breasts then cut them up and mix them in a pan with fajita mix. It gives them a nice flavor over traditional taco mix.

I've also done bbq chicken sandwichs.

Even my "please don't ever serve me a plain chicken breast again!" husband likes these two items.

Thanks, Paula. Chicken tacos would make my sweet hubby smile. :001_smile:

On the other hand, chicken BBQ sandwiches with some spicy Roman beans on the side sound like just the ticket for this week (TRANSLATION: I have nice & fresh whole wheat rolls). Thanks for the suggestions!

We like "Mediterranean Chicken" ... I cube the chicken, season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Saute onions and garlic, brown the chicken in the same pan. Add a can of diced tomatoes and cook about 20 minutes. Add cous cous (however much to soak up the liquid) and frozen peas and let stand for 5 minutes; mix in feta and serve. You can do this fancier (whole chicken pieces and make the cous cous separate) but I like the single pan quick to the table easy to serve to toddlers aspect of it. This is one of my kids' favorite meals.

We like "Mediterranean Chicken" ... I cube the chicken, season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Saute onions and garlic, brown the chicken in the same pan. Add a can of diced tomatoes and cook about 20 minutes. Add cous cous (however much to soak up the liquid) and frozen peas and let stand for 5 minutes; mix in feta and serve. You can do this fancier (whole chicken pieces and make the cous cous separate) but I like the single pan quick to the table easy to serve to toddlers aspect of it. This is one of my kids' favorite meals.

As it turns out, my husband is Egyptian, so this will probably be a big hit with all of us! Yeah! Thanks!

Elaine, I do hope you're going to post all three of these recipes!!! They sound really good!!

Anne

Here's a link to the Gen Tsos: http://www.recipezaar.com/Weight-Watchers-General-Tsos-Chicken-162379. I add a ton of veggies. I don't know why they don't include veggies in the recipe because it adds a lot to the taste. I triple the recipe so we have leftovers for lunches.

I'll try to find the Indian curry dish later and post it. He makes the wheat flat bread with it so it takes more time. The Gen. Tsos is really easy. Dh says the thai is really easy, too, but not lowfat like GT. I'll try to post it when dh comes home. It tastes like the thai you get at the restaurant. Heavenly. Dh is the real cook here. I only cook because I have to. :D

Sometimes I add a can of Ro-tel, some curry powder, and a bit of yogurt, You can make that as spicy as you like. Other times I add the same tomatoes, and season with cumin, garlic, and chili powder. Top with avocado and/or sour cream. Either way goes well with beans of any sort and rice.

I can't fix a lot of chicken any more since I have a sensitivity, but my family still has several favorite recipes. One is called 'Sure-to-Please Chicken' and is chicken cooked together with rice, tomatoes, Velveeta cheese, and green beans. Another one is 'Hunter-Style Chicken' where the chicken is cooked (again) with rice and tomatoes but also with onions and turmeric. I'm not sure why it's called Hunter-style. I also have a fake cordon bleu recipe and a recipe that coats the chicken in French-friend onions. You could also always make a paella, especially during summer when veggies are abundant.

My kids love the Russian Chicken recipe from the Sonlight cookbook. This is not low fat or spicy but you may like it and it is super easy to make. It would work in a crock pot but I bake it in the oven.

About 2-3 lbs of Chicken breast.

1 small bottle of Russian salad dressing

1 envelope of French Onion Soup powder

1 can of cranberry jelly or sauce.

In a heavy bottomed roaster mix the ingredients together (make sure it is big enough as it will be messy if it bubbles over). Place in oven at 350 degrees until it bubbles and is cooked through. It takes about an hour.

Sounds gross but it is very good. You will have lots of gravy so make mashed potatoes. You could also cut the gravy ingredients in half.

Enjoy!

Another one is 'Hunter-Style Chicken' where the chicken is cooked (again) with rice and tomatoes but also with onions and turmeric. I'm not sure why it's called Hunter-style.

I've always heard it called Chicken Cacciatore (Italian) or Chasseur (French) ...It's a recipe typically cooked in the fall when there are game birds and mushrooms available in the woods (i.e., on the hunt).

Do you like chinese or thai? I make a delicious Weight Watcher's Gen. Tsos. So easy and full of veggies, my kids love it. My dh makes Indian Curry Chicken and Thai Red Curry Chicken. These dishes keep chicken fun.

Oooohhh, the Thai Red Curry Chicken sounds great! Does your hubby have a recipe, or should I just Google it? Thanks!

My kids love the Russian Chicken recipe from the Sonlight cookbook. This is not low fat or spicy but you may like it and it is super easy to make. It would work in a crock pot but I bake it in the oven.

In a heavy bottomed roaster mix the ingredients together (make sure it is big enough as it will be messy if it bubbles over). Place in oven at 350 degrees until it bubbles and is cooked through. It takes about an hour.

Sounds gross but it is very good. You will have lots of gravy so make mashed potatoes. You could also cut the gravy ingredients in half.

Enjoy!

Now THAT is something different! :lol: Not this week, but maybe next, we'll try it -- just because it IS so different from anything I've ever tried with chicken.

I remember the first time someone at a church potluck told me she had made "Peanut Butter Stew" with chicken -- my reaction (outside) was polite, but my thoughts (inside) were thankfully on the inside.

But that stew was some of the best stuff I've ever tasted -- onions, peppers, chicken, tomatoes, and peanut butter -- all cooked together and served over rice. Yummy!

Hey, I'm getting back into this Chicken Cookin' Thang! Thanks, ladies.

I made the most delightful curry this week-end, using a recipe from AllRecipes. This recipe would be delicious with cubed, cooked chicken instead of the chickpeas. Note: even though I used half the cayenne pepper the recipe called for, the dish was medium-hot. This is a perfect recipe if you want something spicy, and restaurant-quality.

I just thought of another I created from a shiskabob recipe I made over ten years ago.

Fry some cut up bacon for a few minutes and add cut up chicken breast.

Add crushed garlic and fry for a minute.

Add a can of drained cubed pineapple, warm through.

I served it over rice. Kids loved it.

I guess I have a few odd ones but try them. They are pretty good.

Also, you may want to look at my Vietnamese Chicken recipe in the social group for cooks. It is my favorite and it is made with skinless boneless thighs, so it is cheap.

Tonight we are having plain grilled chicken breast with Ragu sauce on crusty french bread as a sub sandwich. Yummm.

We call this mexican chicken stir fry in my house.. I made it up from what I have in the pantry... Cut up chicken in to "bites" and fry up in a pan with a bit of oil, 1 whole onion-chopped and 3 cloves of garlic-chopped.. Once browned (and onion is translucent) add a can of diced tomatoes, a large can(or 2 small ) of green chilies, 2 or 3 potatoes cut into thin rounds, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tbsp of chicken bullion, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp oregano. & simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked . I usually serve over rice (we are starch heavy here, and well there are a lot of us...)

Enjoy!

I have a similar recipe from Fix It and Forget It. It uses a small bottle of barbeque sauce instead of the Russian dressing. Cook on low for several hours and serve over rice. It's a popular dish with the kids.

We don't eat much meat, and it's almost never the main feature in a meal, but if it is, this is what I make:

Afghan Kebabs

1 cup plain yogurt

1 T minced garlic

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp cayenne

1 tsp salt

1/2 c mint leaves, minced

2 pounds chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces

Combine everything, adding the chicken last, and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Thread onto skewers and cook in whatever manner is handy for you. I broil them on high, about 5 inches from the broiler element, for 7-10 minutes since we don't have grill. This is from Flatbreads and Flavors.

Okay, we've been trying to cut back on red meat, so lots of chicken lately. :sleep:

I need an easy RECIPE for chicken -- something spicy would be just the ticket for dear hubby! Maybe with red or Roman beans.... Hmm, anyone from the Southwest out there, LOL?

Anyone, anywhere -- what are your favorite, easy recipes for chicken? I'm :bigear:. Thanks!

Well, its not southwest, but it is really good!:001_smile: