Menu

PH Science Explorer questions

Teresa in MO

I have a couple of questions about the PH Science Explorer books.

1. Where do you order your books from? Do you buy used? Are there any differences in the newer books that you would order from PH?

2. What other resources besides the book do you use?

3. How do you set up an Oasis account with PH?

4. How many books do you use for one school year.

Thanks

My newer used ones (2005 or so on), have internet links in the margins, which is nice. We don't use the links a lot, though.

I just bought the student books. I have a science background and have never needed a teacher's edition or answer key. My kids read the section then we discuss it by going through the questions at the end of the section. There have been a time or two where I've had to glance back at the text to see what they were getting at with the question. If you're not sciencey, the teacher's book would probably be nice. We don't do a lot of experiments, but quite a few of them could be done with stuff you have around the house or could easily get.

There are around twenty sections in each book (it varies), so if you do science three times a week, you can easily get through 4 books a year. More if you do science more often, less if you do science less often.

I've taken a pretty laid-back approach to science thus far (oldest is in 6th grade). I'm planning on ramping up quite a bit for 7th. These have worked nicely for me.

We have used P-H this year, and I love it. As far as pace, it depends on how fast your child can master the material. I'd start with one book, and see how it goes! I personally would rather cover 1 or 2 books well. By "well," I mean by building opportunities for inquiry, projects, discovery activities, living books, and videos/internet.

This series is meant for an inquiry-rich, hands on approach to science. There are usually at least 2-3 hands-on activities and 1-2 cross-curricular ideas in each chapter section. Each chapter section starts off with a simple demonstration activity to stimulate curiosity. Then, there are usually 1-2 at-home activities, or skill building activities. Some chapters have well laid out labs and longer projects to work on over the course of the month.

I would get the new versions; they are only $18.

Along with that, get the Lab Zone planner - it has labs and answers/discussion/materials needed info for EVERY lab in the Explorer series. It also has extra labs. I would also get the guided reading book for about $3.50, since it will help reinforce the reading in a simple to use workbook format. The Interactive Text is nice to have too, expecially at $1.25 because it has three Discovery Chanel video clips for each chapter section, animations, clickable vocabulary, enrichment and other extra worksheets. Some kids enjoy working from the computer, and you can't go wrong for $1.25!

I would get:

Student Text

Guided Reading Workbook

Lab Zone Planner

Interactive Student Text on CD

No TM is needed, unless you get the program and flounder. Buy it then.

Here is a link to the schedule I am working on. We will do one book during the year, and do another book during the summer. It is important not to simply schedule a number of pages and plough through, but to really ensure that my child is mastering the vocabulary. Mastering vocabulary is the easiest way to learn any subject, and this takes time.

Doing 1 book in 15-18 weeks will result in my child having to memorize about 10-12 vocabulary or "Key Terms" per week, completing 2 Lab Zone activies and 1 major Lab or work on a long-term project.

Covering 4 books would mean that she would have to memorize 20+ vocabulary words per week, and try to fit in six activities, two labs, and complete a major project in two weeks.

Covering 1 chapter section per week would result in covering 2 books per year. I'll give you a sample of what that looks like here:

Chapter Section 1.1 "Forces in Earth's Crust" from Inside Earth

Memorize Key Terms: -- we tend to make games with these: Bingo, Taboo, Scavenger Hunt, or a simple crossword puzzle. On Fridays, I can use this as an informal assessment.

stress

tension

compression

shearing

normal fault

hanging wall

footwall

reverse fault

strike-slip fault

anticline

syncline

plateau

Lab Zone Activities:

How Does Stress Affect Earth's Crust? (introductory activity)

Modeling Stress (Try This activity modeling different types of stress with modeling clay)

Modeling Faults (At-Home Activity modeling fault lines with modeling clay)

Online:

SciLinks webcode (excellent material from National Science Teachers's website)

Reading:

Chapter section 1.1 (pp 44-50)

Guided Reading workbook for chapter section

Chapter Project:

Design and Build and Earthquake-safe House (longer term project)

Just to give you an idea of the amount of material covered when doing 2 books per year. Double this for 4 books a year.

HTH!

Edited by Tami

It depends on what your goals are.

My goal has been more along the lines of exposure, rather than mastery. We read and discuss, and "test" doing the chapter reviews. I want to give my dc an overview for now, so we can buckle down in Jr. High and High School.

I think Tami's way of doing things sounds awesome (I want to come and do science at your house!), but it's not my style. My dc will often explore things on their own, and covering one section per science day has given them lots of jumping off points.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as argumentative, but covering four books a year doesn't necessarily mean you're rushing through. Since the OP is trying to get a feel for how this would best work for her family, I wanted to give her my thoughts, in order to help her decide what path she would want to take.

It depends on what your goals are.

My goal has been more along the lines of exposure, rather than mastery.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as argumentative, but covering four books a year doesn't necessarily mean you're rushing through.

Of course, we are all different. For ME, and my goals of vocabulary mastery and hands-on inquiry, 4 books a year is absolutely dizzying. I begin requiring mastery in 5th/6th grade and up and before that, we are all about exposure. I am a real stickler with vocabulary, since science has it's own language and this is the key to understanding. With a goal of exposure, and a method of read/discuss, I could see doing 4 books a year. My caution is meant for the many home educators I know who simply teach to a curriculum schedule, without taking into account whether their child is actually LEARNING or not. The pace is often too fast for the child to retain much. I can be a big-time box checker myself, and I am learning to teach, rather than "get through" curriculum. Does that make an sense? No? :lol: I hope that by posting a sample week it would give a good idea how this works out in our family.

I just can't see covering 4 books if *I* have to set up all those activities, complete major projects, and learn all that vocabulary. :willy_nilly:However, I have never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. :D

Thanks for posting, each mom's style and approach is unique and valuable.

Edited by Tami

I have a couple of questions about the PH Science Explorer books.

1. Where do you order your books from? Do you buy used? Are there any differences in the newer books that you would order from PH?

2. What other resources besides the book do you use?

3. How do you set up an Oasis account with PH?

4. How many books do you use for one school year.

Thanks

I am using the Science Explorer I like the text books that have all the stuff inside instead of the little books by subject. Next year we are going to use Earth Science I bought it used from Amazon for $14 including shipping. I plan to use this sched modified for a 4 day schedule http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-math-science/ . Other than that and the companion site for PH I will not be using other resources unless you count the materials for the activities and experiments. I did not set up an Oasis account. Since I will be using one book this is the link for where I bought mine http://www.amazon.com/Prentice-Science-Explorer-Earth-Grade/dp/013250815X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236874781&sr=8-7 they still have some $10 used. I will warn it wound up being a florida book but the information was all the same except in the introduction pages it told of the florida standards this was not a big deal to me.

Tami,

Would you please post a link to these items?

Student Text

Guided Reading Workbook

Lab Zone Planner

Interactive Student Text on CD

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong series? There is a student book listed for $69 on the Pearson School website. Is there a separate site for homeschool use?

Thanks.

Caroline

I bought Earth Science, Life Science, and Physical Science used. It looks like the Interactive Student Text is only available from PH if you buy the student textbook brand new from them at the same time... or am I misreading their information?

The Lab Zone planner I see is $29.97. Can it be used for the entire series?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm not Tami but here is what I've bookmarked. If you click on one of the books, the price list for everything comes up.

ETA: I think what the posters above are talking about is buying the individual topic books. I believe the last three books on this page are larger books which are comprised of all the individual subject volumes and those are the ones for $69. I think...

http://pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ4Z4&PMDBSUBCATEGORYID=&PMDBSITEID=2781&PMDBSUBSOLUTIONID=6732&PMDBSOLUTIONID=6724&PMDBSUBJECTAREAID=&PMDBCATEGORYID=814&PMDbProgramID=52181

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Great thread, hope it's not too late for an add-on question. We just started SE and we are using the text, guided reading workbook, and the CD -which we haven't spent much time yet. Thanks for the Labzone idea. Question...what about tests? Does the publisher sell them or do you make your own?

Thanks!!

Yes, I am wondering too. Is there a Lab Zone Planner for each book? They are listed at $29.97. Do you have to buy one for each book you use?

Nope-the one cd has all the labs with teachers notes for the WHOLE SE series. I like having them handy and ready to print, as well as having teacher's notes for the labs. The CD is keyed to each SE chapter, but is also searchable, so you can find labs about any topic. Love it!

Great thread, hope it's not too late for an add-on question. We just started SE and we are using the text, guided reading workbook, and the CD -which we haven't spent much time yet. Thanks for the Labzone idea. Question...what about tests? Does the publisher sell them or do you make your own?

Thanks!!

If you have the CD, I would just print out the "Review and Reinforce" and use them as quizes or tests.

Mostly we use Key Terms vocabulary games and activities as assessments. For instance, I ask dd to make a model of a normal fault with modeling clay, and explain how the plates are moving, which is the hanging and which is the footwall, etc. Then we play a game of bingo with the chapter terms. I feel these are the best types of assessments, and the price is right.:)

We are using Earth Science this year for 7th grade. We use the Student Text, the guided reading and study guide and the LabZone cd. I also ordered the teachers manual. I ordered it all through Prentice Hall, they sent me a form to sign that said I was a homeschooler and would only use the teacher materials within the context of homeschooling. They set up an account for me and now I can order any Prentice Hall materials directly from them. My dd has learned a lot this year with Earth Science, but I wish I would have gotten the smaller books instead of the one big book, it's very intimidating.

HTH,

Amy

Along with that, get the Lab Zone planner - it has labs and answers/discussion/materials needed info for EVERY lab in the Explorer series. It also has extra labs.

How do you get the Lab Zone planner? I just looked at the PH website and it says you need at PO or school credit card? Can you order it if you are a homeschooler? Or did you get it somewhere else? After reading all this great advice, I was thinking of getting it and using it with the older editions. I would think the content would be similar.

Is it worldview neutral? Or do they assume an old-earth?

Lesley

Secular, but not argumentative or preachy. Old earth stuff is easily modified from "millions of year" to "many years," for example. Very easy to work with.

Last yr we decided on RS4K's (great chem, the rest is OK)). I was seriously considering PHSE but was broadsided by the web site. I really couldn't navigate it, and it was very confusing.

I want something to use for all Dc's (11,9,7,5). For those of you who use PHSE, do you think I could tweak the program to accomodate all kids??

Great discussion...:001_smile:

Last yr we decided on RS4K's (great chem, the rest is OK)). I was seriously considering PHSE but was broadsided by the web site. I really couldn't navigate it, and it was very confusing.

I want something to use for all Dc's (11,9,7,5). For those of you who use PHSE, do you think I could tweak the program to accomodate all kids??

Great discussion...:001_smile:

If you get the Lab Zone planner and are willing to check out library books, P-H would be an awesome spine for family learning, since each book focuses on one branch of science, has tons of hands-on ideas and is visually appealing.

With the Lab Zone Planner, you can pick out extra activities on the easier end. However, most of the acitivites in P-H would be enjoyed by all ages, and are simple to implement.

You check out elementary books on your P-H topics at the library, and throw them in a library basket for the month. There are also the "Janice Vancleave _________________ For Every Kid" books that would go along nicely for extra elementary activities.

You could use the P-H text as a read-aloud, with a goal of simple exposure for your youngers. The oldest can be held accountable for the info by doing chapter questions, using the workbook, making vocabulary games, etc. In fact, vocabulary games such as Bingo, Scavenger Hunts, or Pictionary could be enjoyed by at least your 2 oldest.

When you do Activities, everyone can watch.

I actually think P-H is one of the easiest programs out there to modifiy for multi-level work, due to it's flexible nature and hands-on activities. It's a much easier program to modify than say, Apologia.

HTH!