Menu

wasp sting and tetanus

So my poor 2 yr old was out playing in the backyard and a ticked off cranky mean ole wasp flew by and stung her in the hand. I dumped her in the bathtub and saw that it looked like it was just going to swell something terrible. Same as happens to me with bee stings. But just to be safe, I figured I'd jump on the net and see what it says about wasp stings. WebMD said this:

Which I found interesting...

She's never had a vax.

Now I don't want the old "to vax or not to vax and how to vax if you're gonna vax" debate! PLEASE!

What I would like to know is if you would go in for a tet vax in this situation?

I've gotten stung several times and never got a vax. My son put a "dead" wasp in his mouth last summer (don't ask me why, he's a boy) and it stung him and his lower lip swelled up something fierce. The swelling went down in a couple hours and he was none the worse for wear.

I've never heard of that. Tetanus is usually an issue when there is possibility of contamination from soil, rusty nail, etc. If you cut your foot in a creek or walking across a cow pasture, then yes. But a wasp sting seems pretty clean to me and not at all deep.

I just read that and thought...:blink:

Me too! What a bizarre recommendation! How on earth would you get tetanus from a wasp sting!

I've never heard of that. Tetanus is usually an issue when there is possibility of contamination from soil, rusty nail, etc. If you cut your foot in a creek or walking across a cow pasture, then yes. But a wasp sting seems pretty clean to me and not at all deep.

Yes this is my understanding too.

Tetanus cases from insect bites have been reported, although the actual risk is probably low. The spores of the tetanus bacterium are widely found in soil and animal feces. Since insects have lots of contact with soil, they can carry the spores on their body and contaminate the site of a bite or sting. Giving a tetanus shot is standard of care for any animal bite or sting.

From CDC:

During 1998–2000 (the most recent years for which data are available), acute injuries or wounds preceded tetanus in 94 (73%) of the 129 cases for which information was available.

Among the most frequent wound types were puncture wounds (50%), lacerations (33%), and abrasions (9%). The most common puncture wound was from stepping on a nail (15 cases). Other puncture wounds involved barbed wire, splinters, animal or insect bites, self-piercing, and self-performed tattoos. The environment in which acute injuries occurred was indoors or at home in 45%, in the yard, garden, or farm in 31%, and other outdoor locations in 23%.

Edited by Perry

A tetanus booster would not prevent an infection in a child who has never had a tetanus shot. Giving tetanus antitoxin would be the thing to do if you were truly concerned about tetanus, and then vax, but I don't think you need to be concerned about it in this case. (But she is a child, not a horse, so take my advice worth a grain of salt):001_smile:

A tetanus booster would not prevent an infection in a child who has never had a tetanus shot. Giving tetanus antitoxin would be the thing to do if you were truly concerned about tetanus, and then vax, but I don't think you need to be concerned about it in this case. (But she is a child, not a horse, so take my advice worth a grain of salt):001_smile:

We always gave TIG and the vax at the same time.

I would not go for the vax.

We also do not vax and I've asked my doc about tetnus (she's supportive of our non-vaxing). She said the main concern is a deep and dirty wound where infection (and possibly tetnus) can grow deep.

I hope she feels better soon!

If she said "dirty," she deserves to be smacked.

Sheesh! From a DOCTOR!

If she said "dirty," she deserves to be smacked.

Sheesh! From a DOCTOR!

:confused: Why?

From Mayo Clinic:

Puncture wounds or other deep cuts, animal bites or particularly dirty wounds may put you at increased risk of tetanus infection. Get medical attention if the wound is deep and dirty, and particularly if you're unsure of your immunization status. Your doctor may need to clean the wound, prescribe an antibiotic and give you a booster shot of the tetanus toxoid vaccine. If you've previously been immunized, your body should quickly make the needed antibodies to protect you against tetanus.

Because "dirty" isn't "dirty."

What I mean is that we're talking about the potential for an infection, not the amount of dirt--as we'd call it--on something. And they're different. To warn someone of a "dirty" wound is really misleading.

Better to say a deep wound that doesn't bleed copiously enough to flush it out well...

I've found that if you appear before a doc, in an ER etc with punctures or cuts in your skin and haven't got an up-to-date Tetanus booster they will recommend one.

I guess a phone call to your doc can't hurt, just give you some info to make up your mind.

Keep an eye on the site and watch for infection. Sometimes it only shows several days later. (At least with animal bites.)

Hope your little one feels better soon!