Menu

Scholastic for homeschoolers - anyone done it?

Has anyone opened a Scholastic account for themselves as a home school? What documentation do you need? Are you independent HS'ers or with an umbrella school?

I miss those lovely Scholastic book sheets that Sylvia used to bring home from preschool. I've already tried to open a Scholastic account as a homeschooler, but they said something about needing more verification. We use an umbrella school - should I give that info?

I did it for our co-op for a couple years. I don't remember how I did it now. If you do a bunch of clubs - be ready to get sucked in to just adding "one more" book to put you over the $15 or whatever to get your bonus points! LOL! I was always calculating what I needed to add to the order, etc. It was fun and well worth it. I got a lot of free or nearly free stuff. Some co-ops do it and add to a library. Ours didn't want to do that, so I was able to keep all the points for putting the work into it.

Are you able to order from the Book Clubs?? I signed up months ago and have an account. However, whenever I try to order books through the Book Club newsletters online, I receive a message stating that they need more verification and that I will be contacted shortly. I have never heard from Scholastic either by phone or email. I also asked them about specifics they needed in regards to allowing homeschoolers to order via email and never ever heard back. I'm almost too irritated to even care. (but oh, how I loved those monthly book orders, and the prices!)

Are you able to order from the Book Clubs?? I signed up months ago and have an account. However, whenever I try to order books through the Book Club newsletters online, I receive a message stating that they need more verification and that I will be contacted shortly. I have never heard from Scholastic either by phone or email. I also asked them about specifics they needed in regards to allowing homeschoolers to order via email and never ever heard back. I'm almost too irritated to even care. (but oh, how I loved those monthly book orders, and the prices!)

It's been a few years since I've ordered from them. However, I do remember that the first order (and any orders with a change in address) had to be done by mail with a check. Maybe that is why you're having problems with the website.

You could just print out the order form you are ordering from and send it in with a check.

I found Scholastic to be very useful when I had new readers and we were living overseas. Getting boxes of inexpensive easy chapter books was great. As the kids' reading ability has developed, I've found that there is less and less appropriate stuff on the flyers. But for K-3 it was nice.

You can sign up on their website. However, you may need to also call them in order to begin receiving the catalogs. You will not need any special documentation. They are used to dealing with homeschoolers. My account has my name on the first line, then the name of my school, and my home address. She asked if I homeschooled, because she could not find my school name on her list. I said, "Yes," and she processed the application.

Once you receive the catalogs and are ready to place your order, you will need to MAIL in the very first order. It will take a little bit of time for them to process your order and set up your account.

After your first order has been processed, you may then begin ordering on the internet.

Hope this helps,

Joyfully,

Mary

We've used Scholastic as a homeschool with no problem. I think I just got a phone call confirming our homeschool name. I was able to order from the internet on my first order. As the previous poster said, the younger grades seem to have a better selection of books. My older kids have already read the few quality books Scholastic sells at their reading level So much of the offerings are junk.

FWIW, if you are getting the flyers ... you can combine flyer orders online to hit the $20 minimum for free shipping. For the extra bonus points, the $20 has to be all from one flyer, but if you don't care about that, you can combine for the shipping. Very handy. :-)

We signed up a few years back, and it seems they've gotten fussier in the intervening years ... I hear lots of folks saying it takes them two or three tries to get the account going properly.