Menu

I hate public school projects.

Dd has a project due Monday, on mummification. We didn't have time to do a chicken or apple mummy, so we thought maybe a canopic jar would be fun and instructive for both her and her class.

Fast forward to today--no project done yet. The clay is too hard. Baker's clay was too flexible. She couldn't find a way to do it. Nothing is satisfying her. on and on and on...

She already knows about Egypt because we did it in First Grade w/SOTW. She wrote her obligatory paragraph about mummies without looking anything up.

Geez, I can't wait until we homeschool next year. As soon as I can figure out how to earn a thousand dollars a month and homeschool, I'm going for it. I am sick to death of public school, and so is dd.

Normally, yes. Not me. Dd must do the research (but I will get her on the computer to the website that helps), write the report, and sculpt the canopic jar. By herself.

I did make the clay wetter--I think she's going to be ok. Just wish she could do school work at school instead of bringing home these projects (and at least 90 mins of homework every night--except Fridays--she only has to do a book report on the weekends...).

I am also surprised at the amount of at home work required for 3rd grade. I watch my friends struggle with 2 hours of homework every night and still worry about getting it all done. I do secretly think that she does some of her son's projects.

It just makes me glad that I don't have homework hanging over my head as we're sitting at the soccer field or at taekwondo! We can relax and enjoy our time.

Hang in there!

What always gets me about the projects is that the parents end up doing much (if not all) of the work.

Yes, especially when you say "We didn't have time". Her project, but I also know they send projects home to do that can't be done by them.

How about being a distributor for Usborne or some Homeschool materials in your area? Although $1000 a month? mmmm......

As soon as I can figure out how to earn a thousand dollars a month and homeschool, I'm going for it.

LiveOps is talking about doing another hiring spree (and I don't know that they're done with the last one). On the regular line, you could probably bring in $10-13/hour. If you got on the line I'm on, though, you could average over $20. I'd be willing to do a referral in order to help but I can't guarantee you the line. Mentioning previous phone, sales, etc experience would be a huge plus. But even on the regular line, that would be less than 100 hours per month. You could do early morning/late evening/weekends so it wouldn't interrupt school time. Call volume (and hence $$$) is greater at those times anyway :)

Anyway, just an idea. I don't mean to seem pushy about it. I DO like my job, obviously, but I really just like that I can work what I need to (be it a little or a lot depending on our needs) without sacrificing my kids.

LiveOps is talking about doing another hiring spree (and I don't know that they're done with the last one). On the regular line, you could probably bring in $10-13/hour. If you got on the line I'm on, though, you could average over $20. I'd be willing to do a referral in order to help but I can't guarantee you the line. Mentioning previous phone, sales, etc experience would be a huge plus. But even on the regular line, that would be less than 100 hours per month. You could do early morning/late evening/weekends so it wouldn't interrupt school time. Call volume (and hence $$$) is greater at those times anyway :)

Anyway, just an idea. I don't mean to seem pushy about it. I DO like my job, obviously, but I really just like that I can work what I need to (be it a little or a lot depending on our needs) without sacrificing my kids.

What are you calling about? Are they sales calls? I have a sister with MS who is on disability. She would love to having some sort of job from home. Can you give me more information? PM me if you want.

Rhonda,

There are a few different lines and they all work a little differently, but....

It's basically acting as a callcenter. The people call you when they want to order. Most of the time it's very pleasant :) You get paid per minute talk time plus for certain sales.

There are a few companies:

Liveops.com is my fave, to be honest. But one is considered an independent contractor and has to do their own taxes. It offers the most money making opportunity as far as I can tell.

Westathome.com has it where you're an employee. They have several customer service jobs as well as the infomercial ones. You get a minimum pay per hour if you don't exceed it while working.

Acddirect.com takes calls for St. Judes and PBS. Their work isn't as steady since they generally have campaigns, but there is work available.

Alpine Access doesn't have the same flexibility as the others. You pick whatever 5-8 hour shift you want. You are an employee getting an hourly wage.

There are others, but those are the main ones :)

HTHs,

What always gets me about the projects is that the parents end up doing much (if not all) of the work.

You should see the gorgeous Conestoga wagon my husband "helped" make for our son's 5th grade project. My husband got a really great grade on that one!

Not only do many of the parents at my son's school make their child's projects, they openly complain to one another about all the work it took to complete them! If I taught and felt a need to do a project, I'd try to get it done in class.

I do sit with my son and instruct him how to use certain computer programs now that he's older. He has to do the work, though.

Frankly, I do not see the value in many of these *fun* projects anyway. Some seem beneficial, like the seismograph my son made in class (it worked), while others just seem like a waste of time.

Argh. I guess we're just not project people.

:tongue_smilie:

I am also surprised at the amount of at home work required for 3rd grade. I watch my friends struggle with 2 hours of homework every night and still worry about getting it all done. I do secretly think that she does some of her son's projects.

It just makes me glad that I don't have homework hanging over my head as we're sitting at the soccer field or at taekwondo! We can relax and enjoy our time.

Hang in there!

I hear you! My son's kindergarten teacher has informed us that she's going to be sending home homework twice a week for the rest of the school year to get the kids ready for the first-grade workload. I don't see the point! Most of the "homework" is just redoing pages they've already done in class. If homework is just going to be busy work, why bother? It'll be nice to have my son home this fall.

We tried another batch of salt and flour dough, and she made a baboon head (Hapi or Hapy the god of something or other--the jar was for the lungs, I believe) for her jar. We used a 7-8 in empty ribbon spool for the "jar" and covered it with a piece of yellow construction paper, upon which she wrote her name in hieroglyphs. I'll post a pic when I can, if anyone is interested.

Only 3 months left to go! lol

I hear you! My son's kindergarten teacher has informed us that she's going to be sending home homework twice a week for the rest of the school year to get the kids ready for the first-grade workload. I don't see the point! Most of the "homework" is just redoing pages they've already done in class. If homework is just going to be busy work, why bother? It'll be nice to have my son home this fall.

(small voice) don't do it then....