Menu

Is Vancouver, WA a nice place to live?

Dh had an interview with a large co. and told me detail after detail about the possible projects, however, it was not until the end of the conversation when he mentioned this particular division of the co. is located in Vancouver. We happen to be currently living in CA - but this is a minor detail in the scheme of things. :D

I have always wanted to spend more time visiting the Pacific Northwest instead of just driving through it. Perhaps I will get a chance.

It's gotta beat California these days, right?

Sorry, I grew up in CA and it makes me a little sad that the place is kind of falling apart. I live in OR and am not really familiar with Vancouver but I think it's a pretty nice place. Very close to Portland--just north of the border. It's beautiful up here, no drought (nice way of saying it rains a lot), people live a pretty healthy and active lifestyle. Oregon has no sales tax (i.e. do your shopping in Portland) and I believe that WA has no state income tax. I think. Don't quote me on that! I wouldn't hesitate to relocate to Vancouver.

I don't know a lot about the town itself but I can tell you that Washington has a wonderful virtual academy. Columbia Virtual Academy (CVA) gives you up to $1200 per student to spend on curriculum, supplies, classes, and field trips. You choose your curriculum; you have to buy religious curriculum out of pocket (but you can still work around the rules to use it for required hours) and they'll pay for anything else. You choose what you will be teaching. You meet your required hours in whatever way you wish (we just counted 11 hours of watching Lord of the Rings as "school"). It was a program started by homeschoolers so it does an awesome job of supporting homeschoolers.

Just one benefit you may not have down there.

Vancouver's okay. Just okay. Certainly not unpleasant; just lacking in personality and not the most scenic part of the state, either. The best thing about it, imo, is the access to other great places. I *love* Portland, for example; wonderful city! Also, the Columbia Gorge is lovely, and you'd be in relatively close proximity to mountains and ocean.

Btw, I haven't actually lived in Vancouver; just giving perspective as a Washingtonian. I think Beth in SW WA, who posts more often on the high school board, is in Vancouver. She can give more firsthand experience. Let us know how things shape up!

Vancouver WA is a nice place to live. It is right across the Columbia river from Portland OR. It isn't as big a city as Portland and sometimes it might be handy to drive across to Portland for certain field trips etc. There will be more rain than Southern CA (I don't know where in CA you live). I substitute taught there so I know a fair amount about the schools there and even the general neighborhoods so let me know if you want to know more.

I lived in Vancouver for awhile years ago, and now one of my sons and his family live there. We are currently about 50 miles from Vancouver.

Vancouver is more like a bedroom community off Portland, but with the added niceties of being in Washington State -- which is a great state btw. The area is an all around great place to live, and for all the reasons that have already been listed. Yes, there is a sales tax and yes, it does rain up here, but there are some pretty amazing trade offs. There are reasons that so many Californians have relocated up north you know! :001_smile:

In this part of the country there is so much to choose from when it comes to recreation and education. You are near the ocean beaches, the mountains, not too far from the deserts of eastern Oregon and Washington, there are wonderful lakes - and on and on. If you think you might love the great outdoors, camping, fishing, hiking, swimming, horseback riding, etc., etc. then you will be in for a real treat.

I hope dh gets the job! :auto:

Blessings,

Lucinda