Menu

Would You....

Last night a man came to our door asking about our neighbors. Come to find out, he is trying to repo their car. The bank hasn't received a payment in 6 mos. He left his card with me and offered $100. if I could let him know when the car was at the house.

Is it normal for them (recovery people) to offer money? And, would you do it?

On the one hand, if they haven't made a payment in 6 mos., they shouldn't be keeping the car. Yet I feel sorry for the mother and girls. Back in Nov., right after they moved, the girls came over to house asking me to call 911 because their dad was beating up their mother. I'm not sure if the husband is in the house at this time.

I wonder how much the $100. is motivating me???

Janet

Guest janainaz

I would NEVER give info. like that to have someone's car repossed. Even if I was offered $5,000, I would not give out that info. - how sad!

I'll be honest, I'd be a bit suspicious...My neighbor repo'ed cars all the time and NEVER went to the neighbor's house to ask for information...He only went to the house in question and if it wasn't there, asked the current homeowners about the vehicle...Also, even though it's been 6 months (a long time it seems), I've heard of vehicles that are over 2 years missing and my neighbor never broke down and bribed someone for information...

Keep in mind that the guy might be a crook. I wouldn't give any info out. In fact, I'd let my neighbor know that someone is offering neighbors money about info for her. This is a potentially dangerous situation for her if the guy isn't really a repo-man.

:iagree:

I wouldn't get involved other than to let the neighbor know about it.

Keep in mind that the guy might be a crook. I wouldn't give any info out. In fact, I'd let my neighbor know that someone is offering neighbors money about info for her. This is a potentially dangerous situation for her if the guy isn't really a repo-man.

You've made a good point. He did leave a business card. I didn't give out any information. Frankly, I don't know anything to give out. I don't even know their name. There doesn't seem to have been anyone in the house for the past week or so; maybe they've left.

Janet

I would stay as far away from that situation as possible. If $100 was motivating me to do that kind of thing to someone, then I would have to sit down and really re-think my morals!

Thank you for all your responses. I have to admit I never stopped to consider it (aiding someone in repossessing property) immoral. You've given me something to think about.

I guess I see keeping a vehicle/property without making payments as immoral. Frankly, it comes under stealing for me. Not only are they keeping property that does not belong to them, they hurt all consumers. There are rewards offered for all sorts of information. Are there times when it is moral to accept money for giving information about illegal actions?

When I see the woman home, I will let her know what happened and pass on the business card. I will do this because of the concern about her safety. I would not want to do anything that could get her hurt.

I've never been in this situation and actually hadn't thought that far. That's why I asked.

Janet

I guess I see keeping a vehicle/property without making payments as immoral. Frankly, it comes under stealing for me. Not only are they keeping property that does not belong to them, they hurt all consumers. There are rewards offered for all sorts of information. Are there times when it is moral to accept money for giving information about illegal actions?

How do you know he is telling the truth? You have no proof. Your whole moral argument is based on what he told you. Why would you believe him over someone you know and have lived next to?

Abusive men are known to do lots of crazy things to try to "build a case" about their spouses. A fraudulent case. I agree with the people who says this guy might be working for the abusive husband. Or, I also agree that she might be thinking the husband has been paying on the vehicle. He could be the immoral person--not her. Things may not be as they appear.

I am glad that you have decided to give her the business card. I think that's the right thing to do.

Are there times when it is moral to accept money for giving information about illegal actions?

No. If you have information that would aid in a police investigation into a crime, you are morally obligated to provide the truth. Accepting money to tell the truth makes you an "informant" and as far as I understand, those are usually petty criminals. :001_huh:

This situation has nothing to do with the one above and is none of your business. I would actually possibly call the police and ask them about this guy. I would NEVER give information like this out and would certainly never take money for it. I have a rule I try to follow; NEVER benefit from someone else's misfortune or weakness, even if it is legal to do so. This would be a case like that.

How do you know he is telling the truth? You have no proof. Your whole moral argument is based on what he told you. Why would you believe him over someone you know and have lived next to?

Abusive men are known to do lots of crazy things to try to "build a case" about their spouses. A fraudulent case. I agree with the people who says this guy might be working for the abusive husband. Or, I also agree that she might be thinking the husband has been paying on the vehicle. He could be the immoral person--not her. Things may not be as they appear.

I am glad that you have decided to give her the business card. I think that's the right thing to do.

:iagree:

Also, as tempting as this money sounds to you, do you really think this man is going show up at your door with the $$ after you call him? Will you take him to the small claims court to collect? I think he will just come get the car and be off. :auto:

ETA: You may not be the only neighbor this guy has contacted. He may have approached others with the same offer.

Edited by Caledonia Academy