Menu

Any homemade Kraft-style Mac & Cheese recipes?

I have tried quite a few very nice homemade Mac & Cheese recipes, both baked and creamy-style, and my kids just won't eat any of them! I've done the fancy roux thing, the basic mix the cheese into milk thing and more...

I just want to kick the blue box habit. Funny thing is, they eat very healthily otherwise, but like many kids, they have this thing about that blue box. To their credit however, I have convinced them :sneaky2: that it is normal to put nonfat plain yogurt in instead of milk, so they at least are used to a tangy flavor, and get that good yogurt into them.

Any ideas for a recipe that uses natural cheese (not Velveeta or processed) and kind of mimicks Kraft?

Edited by BikeBookBread
typo/spelling

None that I have found yet...and I have tried so many. The last batch I made, I didn't even try to call it "macaroni and cheese". I just said we were having "cheesy noodles" and then they ate it without complaining.

So far, the best alternative I have made is with milk, 1/2 cheddar cheese, and 1/2 Velveeta. I'm content with that for now since I go easy on the cheese sauce, and the Velveeta comes out with less sodium and fat than boxed macaroni.

Oh...you HAVE to try some of this natural cheese powder. So delicious, much healthier than the blue box, and yet it gives kids their 'powdered-cheese-in-packages' thrill. :D

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=1223

Ginger

Just looked it up...how much do you use? The package is 8 oz dry...I would assume about 2 ounces at the most...?

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, but I had no idea our mac & cheese was so much in demand. ;) We're very fond of this recipe, but I must warn you that it's really nothing like the boxed kind...the sauce has more body and thickness. Also, we're snobs here in New England about orange cheese, so I always use white cheddar - but there's no reason you couldn't use the orange. In any case, our kiddo has the opposite problem from most of yours: she loves this mac & cheese, but won't eat the blue box stuff or even Annie's natural kind. Hope you enjoy!

-Anne

Mac & Cheese

adapted by Anne Campbell from Jacques Pepin

1 lb. penne or other short pasta

1 tsp. butter

1/2 tbsp. olive oil

1 tbsp. flour

1 1/4 cups milk

8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, diced

1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

1 plum tomato, cut into small dice (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the penne and boil until al dente, firm to the bite, about 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour with a whisk and stir for about 10 seconds, then add the milk, whisking it in so it doesn't scorch. Bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for 10 seconds. Add the cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to taste, and stir over low heat for about 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened.

Mix the pasta with the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the Parmesan and tomato (if desired) on top. An optional step is to place the mac & cheese under the broiler until brown. You can also assemble it ahead of time and bake in a 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

Another optional step: This dish is a great way to sneak in extra vegetables. Just add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pureed cooked cauliflower, zucchini, white beans, or any other light-colored vegetable to the sauce at the same time that you add the cheddar, and it will be completely unnoticeable by kids or adults. The book The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals, by Missy Chase Lapine, has lots of ideas and recipes for these kinds of tricks.

...but I can't find it right now. :confused:

One thing that made it different was that it used a bit of cream cheese in the sauce. Actually, I haven't been that crazy about homemade mac & cheese either, but I do like that one. I will look for it and post it if I find it.

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, but I had no idea our mac & cheese was so much in demand. ;) We're very fond of this recipe, but I must warn you that it's really nothing like the boxed kind...the sauce has more body and thickness. Also, we're snobs here in New England about orange cheese, so I always use white cheddar - but there's no reason you couldn't use the orange. In any case, our kiddo has the opposite problem from most of yours: she loves this mac & cheese, but won't eat the blue box stuff or even Annie's natural kind. Hope you enjoy!

-Anne

Mac & Cheese

adapted by Anne Campbell from Jacques Pepin

1 lb. penne or other short pasta

1 tsp. butter

1/2 tbsp. olive oil

1 tbsp. flour

1 1/4 cups milk

8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, diced

1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

1 plum tomato, cut into small dice (optional)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the penne and boil until al dente, firm to the bite, about 6-8 minutes. Drain and set aside.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour with a whisk and stir for about 10 seconds, then add the milk, whisking it in so it doesn't scorch. Bring the mixture to a boil, and boil for 10 seconds. Add the cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to taste, and stir over low heat for about 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened.

Mix the pasta with the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle the Parmesan and tomato (if desired) on top. An optional step is to place the mac & cheese under the broiler until brown. You can also assemble it ahead of time and bake in a 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

Another optional step: This dish is a great way to sneak in extra vegetables. Just add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pureed cooked cauliflower, zucchini, white beans, or any other light-colored vegetable to the sauce at the same time that you add the cheddar, and it will be completely unnoticeable by kids or adults. The book The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids' Favorite Meals, by Missy Chase Lapine, has lots of ideas and recipes for these kinds of tricks.

So the cheddar actually melts and doesn't get all oily and separated?

So the cheddar actually melts and doesn't get all oily and separated?

In my experience, yes, it melts fine. If you leave the sauce around at room temperature, it does separate, but heating and stirring again brings it back around. I use the store-brand version of Cracker Barrel cheese, not farmstead cheddar or anything fancy.

-Anne