Menu

Boys', Boy's, Girls', Girl's, or Other? Help!

How should I write this?  

1. 1. How should I write this?

• Boys' / Girls'
    • Boy's / Girl's
    • Other

If the bathroom belongs to one boy, it's boy's (the bathroom belonging to the boy). If the bathroom belongs to more than one boy, it's boys' (the bathroom belonging to the boys). Same with girls.

Ria

If the bathroom belongs to one boy, it's boy's (the bathroom belonging to the boy). If the bathroom belongs to more than one boy, it's boys' (the bathroom belonging to the boys). Same with girls.

Ria

That's what I thought. But then I stared at it. And then I couldn't remember how I'd see it written. And then I thought I might be crazy. And then I came here.

I've never seen a washroom with the apostrophe - they just say "BOYS" and "GIRLS" on them...which has me thinking now, do the bathrooms actually *belong* to anyone? (Other than the owner of the building, of course) ....So perhaps if those are the NAMES of the bathrooms (pretend it's BLUE bathroom, PINK bathroom....but we have BOYS bathroom and GIRLS bathroom)...then they wouldn't need apostrophes... I'd prolly take the instructions and write - using caps to denote the NAME - "Clean the BOYS and GIRLS bathrooms" ....but it could quite likely be totally wrong LOL .....

Or just "Clean both bathrooms" :D