Menu

Getting cigarette smoke smell out of clothes?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get yucky cigarette smoke smell out of clothes. I just got a big bag of clothes via Freecycle and WHEW do they smell aweful. I washed a load in hot water with soap and vinegar, but they still smell. I have heard of coffee or charcoal? When it gets nicer I will try putting them outside in the sun. Some of the clothes, I actually would like to keep, but not if the smell remains.

thanks

Katty

I would pick through, take what you want, and hang them outside.

Even if it is raining, just let them air out for a while. I would leave them for a day or two. If that doesn't work you may try this. Grab a plastic bag or cardboard box. Layer an article of clothing, sprinkle with baking soda, layer of clothing, and etc. Leave for a week or so. Shake off excess soda if it is a huge amount, otherwise just toss it, soda and all in another hot vinegar wash.

My mom is a Heavy smoker. I hate it when things get left at her house, because we have to do the above to get the smell out. Usually a day hanging outside is all it takes. Good luck.

I use white distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle of any clothes that smell *funky*. The smells are gone, and there is no residual odor of vinegar.

Be sure not to use apple cider vinegar, or you will get very different results!