Menu

TT Pre-algebra or Lial's Basic College math for my 4th grader...

My 4th grader is a math girl. (although she'll deny it to anyone who asks). She's finished Singapore up to 6B and Life of Fred Fractions. She's almost done with Life of Fred Decimals/Percents. I want something when we finish LOF to do for the rest of this year and hopefully most of 5th grade. I really want to put Algebra off until 6th at the earliest. At this point I think it's as long as I can put it off.

I was considering TT pre-algebra or Lial's. She adores LOF. She's already mad that she can't just keep going with it right now. I know neither of these are like that but I know part of what she likes is the clear, to the student lessons. She thinks the TT characters are cute but I wonder if it would get dull after a while. I'm worried though that Lial's might be too difficult for her to read since it's for college students. I have only been able to see the few samples on amazon. Those pages look fine but they are very early in the text.

Well that was a novel. Sorry about that. I'd love to hear any thoughts.

Thanks

Heather

Algebra is a different kind of thinking. I think she could handle the start of it without problem but she's only 9 years old. It won't take long before the type of thinking required is beyond her maturity. She's a math wiz but she's still a little girl. Besides - if she gets to Calculus in the 9th grade then what am I going to do LOL.

Heather

Algebra is a different kind of thinking. I think she could handle the start of it without problem but she's only 9 years old. It won't take long before the type of thinking required is beyond her maturity. She's a math wiz but she's still a little girl. Besides - if she gets to Calculus in the 9th grade then what am I going to do LOL.

Heather

I guess I'm mean. :D I would have her start with algebra until it gets too hard, then work on something else for awhile. Maybe find the "lightest" algebra program I can. Maybe she's even smarter than you realize!

If she gets to calculus, you could always rent her out as a tutor, make a little extra money! :lol:

There's a lot of enrichment you can do after Alg I, that isn't normally taught because there just isn't time. Options could include Discrete Math (I really like the looks of the Art of Problem Solving Number Theory amd Counting/Probability courses, and they have online classes too), Statistics(check the prerequisites of whatever you decide to use carefully), sidetracking onto Computer Programming, Liberal Arts Math (would probably cover some of the same topics as Discrete, but with a different emphasis and different problems).

FYI: I took Algebra I/II (combined course) over what would have been my 4th grade year, had I been in school. My brother took it a year younger. It's not completely impossible ... I'd start with something touchy-feely like hands on equations though. I did that in roughly 2nd, along with arithmetic, then pre-algebra in 3rd.

Hi Heather,

I am grappling with the same issue :bigear:! My son is also 9, in 4th grade. We also finished Singapore 6B, LOF Fractions, and LOF Percents. We are currently working with a California Pre-Algebra book to fill some "state standards" holes and Zaccaro's Challenge Math book. My son does not like online courses; he wants me to teach him. After evaluating all my options, I have decided to try the Art of Problem Solving "Introduction to Algebra" text in 5th grade. I like that it has a full solutions manual and a strong support network on their website. We will take it at whatever pace is comfortable, so if we are still working through it in 6th grade, that's fine, too. I also like that AOPS offers two classes that you can take in between Algebra and Geometry: "Introduction to Probability," and "Introduction to Number Theory." This way, you can hold off on Geometry until 7th or 8th grade. AOPS has some sample pages on their website so that you can see the texts : http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Books/AoPS_B_Item.php?item_id=200

Good luck with your math girl! Let us know what you decide!

Oh, and I also purchased Lial's BCM and looked at TT Pre-Algebra. In my opinion, they could be useful to fill any holes before starting Algebra (we opted to use a McDougall-Littel California Pre-Algebra book that meets our "state standards" for that, I found that it had more challenging problems than either Lial's or TT), but neither of these books will take you a full year to complete. Since your daughter is exactly where we were a few months ago, I would say several months of review from a Pre-Algebra text will be sufficient prior to beginning Algebra.

Algebra is a different kind of thinking. I think she could handle the start of it without problem but she's only 9 years old. It won't take long before the type of thinking required is beyond her maturity.

Heather

Let her move ahead as she wants to. If her lack of maturity slows her down, then react appropriately. I regret having slowed down my child. Now at 11, he's in Lial Algebra 1, and really having a blast, but last year was painful on both of us. He had no need for pre-algebra.

My ds did Pre-Algebra in 4th, Algebra I in 5th, and is currently doing Geometry this year for 6th grade. We have used Chalkdust for all of these. He really has not had very many problems despite his age. I would slow him down if there were issues. We do math for one hour a day. He will move into Algebra II next year, but I have told him that it does NOT matter if we do not finish the text in one school year. I ALWAYS say this. As far as getting to Calculus by grade 9, I don't think that will happen here with the program we are using. My understanding is that the Chalkdust Pre-Calculus course often takes at least 18 months, and we do not school in the summer, so that would be two years for him. It is what it is, and I am rather Scarlett O'Hara about where he will wind up (i.e. "I will think about that tomorrow"). You will see many different opinions about maturity levels and higher maths. YOU know your child best, and YOU will be able to tell if she becomes overwhelmed.

We have loved Chalkdust for our mathy boy.

I would love to do some of the Art of Problem Solving stuff, but I am not going to sign up for a class, and I am not smart enough to teach it. I do think this is an excellent suggestion, however.