Menu

fairy party ideas?

mo2

We're having a fairy-themed birthday party, and I need ideas of things to do to keep a bunch of little girls entertained. Unfortunatley, I don't have a lot of money to spend, so they must be inexpensive. I'm not very creative, so any ideas???

Family Fun magazine had a feature several months ago on making fairy houses outdoors in the woods, out of acorn cups and moss and such. Perhaps you could adapt that for indoors--give them a bunch of raw materials (i.e., junk) and a shoe box or something else portable, and let them make houses suitable for fairies.

Terri

Make fairy head bands/wands with cheap flowers and ribbon.

Do an animal hunt in the yard by hiding cheap plastic animals throughout the yard. You can have them find them. You could tie this in to the goodie bags (if you give them) or prizes.

There are a lot of ideas on the internet for fairy parties...try Google.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

You could make mini-cupcakes and call them 'fairy cupcakes' if you didn't already have a big cake in mind. If you can get outside at all (I don't know where you live), you could have a fairy scavenger hunt by sprinkling glitter in a path on the grass that leads to small 'treasure troves' that hide the goodies that normally would be in a goody bag - little rings, stickers, etc. You could do something similar in the house but obviously without the glitter. You could use dowel rods and have the girls decorate their own magic wands. I love the house idea, too... that is really really creative!

My dd had a unicorn party this past year. I found the site below was a great source for inspiration. I just did a quick search and they had tons of fairy ideas as well. I didn't do the party exactly like the ones on the site. I picked things that would work for me and that was budget consious and designed my own. But the site was full of ideas! Have fun looking and planning!

http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/fairy.html

I did a fairy party for my daughter a few years ago--we made flower crowns (out of green pipe cleaners with little flowers wired on, ribbon woven around it), fairies out of flowers (take a bigger silk flower, turn it upside down to be the dress, add a little wooden sphere as head, put a tiny flower cup on top as hat, glue on two leaves on back as wings), and wings (I just bought cheap netting at Walmart, gathered it together with a tiny wired flower & pinned them on the girls). We decorated with lots of white lights on trees/big plants. We danced to girly music (I think it was Disney princesses), played musical chairs, played drop the fairy into the jar (stand on chair with mason jar on floor, drop 3 little flower fairies one at a time to see if they make it in), and painted magic wands with glitter glue. (these were just from little dowels, with wooden stars at the top). If I could figure out how to add a few pictures here, you could see what some of the stuff was like...but I can't seem to figure it out. If you're really interested, pm me and I'll email the photos to you. :-)

Have fun!

I did a fairy party for my daughter a few years ago--we made flower crowns (out of green pipe cleaners with little flowers wired on, ribbon woven around it), fairies out of flowers (take a bigger silk flower, turn it upside down to be the dress, add a little wooden sphere as head, put a tiny flower cup on top as hat, glue on two leaves on back as wings), and wings (I just bought cheap netting at Walmart, gathered it together with a tiny wired flower & pinned them on the girls). We decorated with lots of white lights on trees/big plants. We danced to girly music (I think it was Disney princesses), played musical chairs, played drop the fairy into the jar (stand on chair with mason jar on floor, drop 3 little flower fairies one at a time to see if they make it in), and painted magic wands with glitter glue. (these were just from little dowels, with wooden stars at the top). If I could figure out how to add a few pictures here, you could see what some of the stuff was like...but I can't seem to figure it out. If you're really interested, pm me and I'll email the photos to you. :-)

Have fun!

These are great! I am totally going to steal your ideas for the flower crowns and fairy dolls, at least.

PS When you made the dolls, what sort of glue did you use? I'm not sure what would be strong enough to keep the wooden head on.

Edited by mo2

A yard of pink or glittery fabric tulle goes a long way for fairy crafts. It could be used on wands, to make "fairy pouches" (tied with a ribbon and filled with a couple of candies or a flower shaped soap,) wings, headbands, etc...

You could also sprinkle colored sugar (fairy dust) on cookies, cupcakes, or other treats. You could take virtually any children's game (Red Rover, Duck-Duck-Goose, Kitty in the Corner) and change the names/words to make it a fairy themed game. Toss artificial flowers on the party table, or if you don't mind a big clean-up afterward, all around the room to create the feeling of being in a meadow of flowers.

If you want to go with the Disney Fairy theme, you could give each of your guests a fairy name and talent, and have the guests call each other by their fairy name while they are there. When dd was into the whole Tinkerbell and friends scene, we picked up the phrase "I'd fly backwards" to use instead of saying "I'm sorry."

I hope your party's a big success!

-Robin

I love coming up with themed birthday party ideas! Here are a few. I may add more later.

Games:

“Pin the fairy on the flower" Draw a poster (or use clip art) of a flower. Cut out fairy clip art and play like "pin the tail on the donkey."

â€Magic flower†Have everyone sit on the floor. Have the birthday girl leave the room. While she is gone, have the girls decided amongst themselves and pick one person to be “it.†Using an artificial flower, tap “it†on the head. Call your daughter back into the room, and hand her the flower. She will “magically†be able to tell who was “it†while holding the flower. The trick is that you will be sitting in the same position as “it.†If she scratches her nose, shifts, etc., you will mimic each move until your daughter figures out who it is. Play several rounds. Once another girl thinks she knows how it works, let her try, but don’t let her tell the others! I don’t know how old the girls are, but I’ve played this successfully with quite a few ages. If they are younger than 8 it may be hard for them to figure out how it is done.

“Fairy Freeze†Played just like regular freeze tag, except you must dance or skip rather than run.

Crafts:

Make wands using ribbon, small bells, artificial flowers, etc. It’s even cooler if you can find natural sticks rather than using dowel or plastic rods. I would use hot glue for this and your fairy dolls.

You can make a fairy magnet/art clip. Have the girls color paper coffee filters using washable markers. Then, gently dampen the filters so the colors run together. Dry flat on a paper towel. After they are dry, fold them accordion style and then glue them inside a wooden clothespin. Glue a magnet on the back. On cardstock, have each girl draw herself as a fairy (minus the wings) The coffee filter makes the wings. Glue the cut-out picture to the front of the clothespin and you’re done! If you have a digital camera and a color printer, you could take a full-length picture of each girl and cut that out instead of having them draw it!

Ooooh--I just remembered. If you can find/afford them, it might be fun to have some edible flowers as garnish or floating in a bowl of punch/lemonade. Pansies are a popular one, but here is a list of other edible flowers.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

I would get a tube of roll-on glitter so each girl can have some glitter on her face.

The Dollar Tree near me carries fairy wings in various colors for just $1 a set.

I used a glue gun to put the fairies together--it wasn't a craft at the party, I made them ahead of time and had them hanging (just setting, really) on a little tree I had set up. Then when the girls got ready to leave, they got to choose one to take home.

Have fun! It looks like you've gotten some great ideas on here!

One year we did large tissue paper flowers. For younger guests, we had the paper precut and folded---they just fluffed up, for the older ones, I let them make their own. These can be any size depending on the size of square you cut. We did small ones on pipe cleaners to use as wrist corsages/hair accessories, larger ones as decorations.

If you want a full size cake, rather than getting the cake decorations of Tinkerbell or what have you, I have gotten the small figurines from the toy section and used them to decorate, then the birthday girls has them as an additional present afterwards.