Menu

My federal tax returns are accepted. How long is it taking

MJN

We filed on the 4th and it was DD Friday the 20th (a week late).

They are falling behind, they are flagging anyone with a large refund for review (over $2000 is what I heard), and they have hired double the number of auditors for 2009. We know someone who hasn't paid their taxes in 6 years. The IRS has only sent them threatening letters up till now. Monday, they were out assessing her property on foot. Looks like they are cracking down! :scared:

We filed on the 4th and it was DD Friday the 20th (a week late).

They are falling behind, they are flagging anyone with a large refund for review (over $2000 is what I heard), and they have hired double the number of auditors for 2009. We know someone who hasn't paid their taxes in 6 years. The IRS has only sent them threatening letters up till now. Monday, they were out assessing her property on foot. Looks like they are cracking down! :scared:

Is there somewhere I could read more about this? Thanks!

Is there somewhere I could read more about this? Thanks!

I originally read the information on Turbo Tax about the late refunds. Now, the info is so buried, I can't find it. Maybe they're catching up and it was only Jan and the beginning of Feb that there was a problem. Who knows with the feds:lol:. It might also be because we used Turbo Tax. There's some grumbling and speculation that it's actually TT's problem, but no proof. I can't imagine why it would be their problem, but you never know. www.irs.gov will tell you for certain when you can expect your refund. They're the best source since they're the ones holding the money.

As for the auditors, I heard that on the news, but here's an article I dug up.

http://economy.freedomblogging.com/2009/02/10/irs-is-hiring-nearly-600-nationwide/

Happy Filing!

Dorinda