Menu

Cups, water bottles, et al

We went to water bottle usage after the kids filled the sink daily with dozens of cups. Perfect solution! Except... I have never found a permanent way to mark their names on them, I haven't found bottles that don't tip over at the slightest provocation, we don't have bottles that don't retain the flavor of beverages other than water.

I looked into the Kleen Kanteens, but OY! The cost for 8 children! Now I'm looking at these from Beeyoutiful. Still an investment, so I want to make sure they don't have the problems mentioned above.

Does anyone have a better solution? And has anyone found a foolproof method of marking names? We've even done the rubber bands (they've eventually snapped and broken) and made little "bracelets" with their names in beads (always have to be removed to wash, and then they disappear...). There are never eight colors available, so having their own color doesn't work...

and have experienced the same problem as yours. the first time around, we put different colored bands of duct tape (or electrical, you can get all kinds of pretty colors) around like colors. So, for 7 kids we had 4 colors, and 3 of them had an additional band around it.

however, the lids either broke, melted in the dishwasher (still don't know how that happened) or, like you mentioned, they kept the taste of anything but water.

now we're on our second set, and I've found different looking ones to give for each kid at their birthday (Cars for the just turned 5yo boy, an hourglass pink shaped one for the one who is turning 17 next week, etc.) but bought them at different places (different grocery stores, in the work out department of larger stores, etc.)

I still think they taste funny, but I have a pretty keen sense of taste. I'm to the point now, though, that as long as it's cold, I can handle the taste.

good luck!

We have Kleen Kanteens but I think our marking solution would work for any cup.

I bought those neoprene can cozys from the dollar section at Target. I clipped the serged thread at the bottom and removed it. Just slip them on and off. There were several colors. The kids decorated theirs with fabric markers. Turning it inside out you could also have black.

Also, if you end up getting the Kleen Kanteens, they are helpful because the outsides of them get cold!

We use the Kleen Kanteens (I know, but they *are* really great) and love them. I use the little colored loops of fabric that are used on those children's looms that they make potholders with. There are lots of colors in those packages, and I just leave them on, even in the dishwasher.

Huh! Who would've thought? See, now that's why I asked you girls. Loom loops! Good idea!

We have Kleen Kanteens but I think our marking solution would work for any cup.

I bought those neoprene can cozys from the dollar section at Target. I clipped the serged thread at the bottom and removed it. Just slip them on and off. There were several colors. The kids decorated theirs with fabric markers. Turning it inside out you could also have black.

Also, if you end up getting the Kleen Kanteens, they are helpful because the outsides of them get cold!

Do the KK ever go on sale?

My kids are 11, 9, 7, and 5. We all have the 27 oz. I wish I would have bought the 12 for the 5 yo, but she does okay with it.

The 27 fits into the cup holders of our car.

Perfect! So helpful! Thanks! Could I use any more exclamation points in one post?!

We, too, have tried various things, and what has finally worked is that I had each kid make their own perler bead coaster (you know, the fuse beads you melt with an iron?). They keep those on the kitchen counter, and they are responsible for putting their own cup on their own coaster after every meal/snack/etc. It took a week or so of reminding, but it has been working like a charm ever since then. Now, everyone can pick whichever cup they want from the cabinet, and I don't have an entire dishwasherful by lunchtime.

Honestly, the personal coaster thing has worked even better than I anticipated. And it's cheap!

I haven't tried it on the Kleen Kanteens but the Silver Paint Sharpie Markers work much better for labeling than the traditional permanent markers do. We use them on the swim gear that is in the water for 2 hours a day / 5 days a week. We relabel about every 6-8mths. I buy them at Fred Meyer.

Do you put together Easter Baskets for your kids? Maybe they can each pick a design and then put it in their Easter Basket. It maybe a fun tradition to pick a new one each year for a holiday present and this would offset the expense with money you would have spent anyways. :0)

I haven't tried it on the Kleen Kanteens but the Silver Paint Sharpie Markers work much better for labeling than the traditional permanent markers do. We use them on the swim gear that is in the water for 2 hours a day / 5 days a week. We relabel about every 6-8mths. I buy them at Fred Meyer.

Do you put together Easter Baskets for your kids? Maybe they can each pick a design and then put it in their Easter Basket. It maybe a fun tradition to pick a new one each year for a holiday present and this would offset the expense with money you would have spent anyways. :0)

Easter Baskets! Yippee! Now I don't feel so bad about spending the money-- I can double up everything as an Easter surprise.

I'll try the paint pens and I love the coaster idea, too. Craft/helpful item-- this not-very-fun mom can become a hero soon :D

We went to water bottle usage after the kids filled the sink daily with dozens of cups. Perfect solution! Except... I have never found a permanent way to mark their names on them

What about nail polish? I've not tried it on Kleen Kanteens, but that's what I use to mark plastic containers since Sharpie doesn't seem to "take" to plastic very well.

Well, I think if I were you, I'd have the 15, 13, 11 and 8 year olds in charge of washing whatever cup/glass they have used... and then assign them each to one younger child's cup too. :D

We haven't had too much trouble with Sharpies. We always have a few handy. We label on the bottom of the cup so it doesn't get as much hand-wear and relabel if necessary.

Make the 3 oldest in charge of making sure the labels are legible, or retouched as necessary.

Can you tell I'm a fan of assigning chores? ;)

You've gotten some good suggestions on the water bottles. Hope you find a plan that "sticks."

I wouldn't get a Nalgene...have you read about the problems with chemicals leaching from them? They've been pulled from the shelves by the largest outdoor retailer in Canada, and even the FDA has recently issued a "caution" about their use. We threw all of ours away and have ordered stainless steel Klean Kanteens. Yes, they are expensive, but I'm not willing to risk my kids drinking a chemical that acts like estrogen...ugh. My boys spend 6 weeks in Canada (wilderness canoe tripping) each summer, and they have to have water bottles. I'd rather spend more for peace of mind.

Ria