Menu

Reading in the Logic Stage

Kate in Arabia

My oldest is a 5th grader this year, we have been slowly implementing some of the changes as per the WTM for the Logic stage. I was just re-reading the section on reading (1999 ed), because I don't feel that we are really covering it in a thorough manner.

As it stands, ds has his own free reading (a mix of shorter and longer chapter books) and books I give him as history and science supplements. He doesn't do individual reports on these, but incorporates everything he learns about a given topic into his weekly essays. When I have given him longer books, like a storybook that is set in the historical period we're studying, for example, he balks. If it's more "referenc-y" then he devours it.

I read aloud to all the kids every night, I try to alternate between general topic books (like the Dr Dolittle series) and ones that are tied to our history lessons. However, I'm wondering if it is more appropriate for my oldest to start reading some of these on his own, in a more "assigned" manner. I don't think he would do it if I simply handed it to him and said, "Here, read this on your own time, let me know when you're done." It would have to be more structured than that. I want him to be able to read things that are not necessarily "captivating", but at the same time don't want to kill his love of reading.

I was reading through the section in the WTM, it recommends 30-60 min per day of dedicated reading to an assigned book. I suppose my first question is, do people do this? Is it part of your regular school day, like when everyone is sitting down to study, or something you "assign" at night? Do you read along with your child so you can better discuss it? Do you have them read aloud or silently?

I'm concerned ds will balk at *his* reading stories that don't immediately engage him (Harry Potter turned out to be one of those for him), although he will gladly listen to me read these books aloud. Is there still value in reading them aloud at this point, or am I shortchanging him by not compelling him to read them on his own as part of our school schedule?

Thanks in advance for any comments...

We silent read an hour a day, usually assigned history books, but sometimes I let them read "fun" books (which are mostly classics and Sonlight titles, shhhh, don't tell). Then, they narrate about them in history class. Sometimes I have them write a summary, but we're doing CW and have plenty of other writing assignments. I don't have the flip-flop your son does about not preferring fiction, but mine will read what's assigned with decent grace, usually.

I think there is great value in continuing to read outloud! It is one of my great joys. I read to the kids something fiction over breakfast (right now we are reading Tom Sawyer) and I always read quite a bit of history to them. (Mine are 4th and 6th grade). I like the shared knowledge and the time together. Dh also reads a biography to the kids at night and they read the Bible outloud together.

At 5th grade I would have them read some on their own and some together.

Just this year I instituted an assigned silent reading time in our school day for school reading. It's right after lunch, and my son came up with the name CRT, for Children's Reading Time. Now they look forward to it and remind me about it...my children also will read what I give them. If I get any kind of attitude, I remind them that it's for school. Especially for my 5th grader, I like to pull the "you're getting older and can handle a challenge" card sometimes. Seems to work. I've tried reading the same books as my 5th grader as recommended in WTM...I just don't like the ancients (well, the Greek myth parts anyway). I look at having to go over it 3 more times before we're all done and want to run away screaming. Next year I know it will be better! :)

We silent read an hour a day, usually assigned history books,

So in your silent reading, is that part of your regular school day -- I mean, you finish math work then say, "Ok, sit here and read for an hour" and then after an hour say, "An hour's over, let's go on to grammar work"?

I'm just trying to get a concrete picture in my mind. To date with my oldest I've been really hands-off in my reading approach, because he just took to it so fast and early. My second ds has been slower to take off, so he still does scheduled, assigned reading (aloud) as part of his sit-down schoolwork, but only for about 15-20 minutes and with early-reader type books.

At 5th grade I would have them read some on their own and some together.

Hmm.. so it would be better in that case to have one book that was on his own and a separate book that was a read aloud (because of the other kids listening)... already with the read aloud we stop periodically to talk about what was just said or what have you.. I have hopes this will naturally segue into his reading independently then discussing with me..

tried reading the same books as my 5th grader as recommended in WTM...I just don't like the ancients (well, the Greek myth parts anyway). I look at having to go over it 3 more times before we're all done and want to run away screaming.

Lol, I can sympathize. We're off our history rotation, so this year we're in the Early Modern Times. Books are perhaps more engaging, but I'm pressed for time.. then I'm not sure if it's better that I read them before ds does, or while he's doing it so we "discover" things together... many of the recommended titles I haven't read before myself, unfortunately.

I don't assign my kids to read for an hour as part of school because they love to read! My 9dd would sit reading her historical fiction or literature assignments all day and do nothing else. They will usually read during our lunch break or when they first get up or while we are out running errands (or all three). I assign the books by chapter instead of time.

hth,

Kim

I do assign silent reading as part of our daily school schedule. I do this because my dd reads in phases. For a period of time, she will devour books and then will go for months without looking at a book.

I have also had her start reading out loud with me. We only do one book together. This term it is Bullfinch's Mythology. I think I read in Drew's book that reading out loud is a good foundation for oratorical skills.

Here is what we do:

I read aloud a literature book for about 30 min. This is usually from the WTM Reading list and is part of the school day. When we are done with the book they write about it. This can be a narration or some type of other assignment related to the book. I. e., when we read 'Little Men' the boys wrote an essay about their day at an orphanage.

They have book basket reading about 3 times a week for 30 min. The books in the basket are usually related to history or science topics we study. It is part of our school day.

The boys do free reading for about 45 min a day. This is not part of our school day.

We also read aloud in the evening anywhere from 30 - 60 min. During this time we read a short story or short biography. Then we read from a longer chapter book. Currently we are reading 'Stories of Saints' and 'Dragon Rider.'

I guess, we do quit a bit of reading. It never occured to me that we actually read this much.

Susie

I have two 5th graders. A large amount of our reading here is related to history - I assign historical fiction, biographies, and some non-fiction, although the bulk of that I read aloud. They do manage to "sneak" quite a bit of reading in around all that assigned stuff - for example, my older two just read all 7 Harry Potter books (I made them read a couple of assigned books inbetween there).

We also have a monthly book group - that is the book that gets "discussed" in terms of plot, setting, characterization, theme, etc. - we're trying to use the Socratic method for this. Those are mostly classics or at least Newbury books. The other assigned reading doesn't get picked apart.

Since a lot of what I read aloud has ended up being non-fiction, I've felt bad about not having time for more literary read-alouds, so we also have been using a lot of audio books over the past couple of years. This happens mostly in the car.

Calvin usually has a book to read each week for assigned reading, in addition to anything he needs to read for history, etc. If the book is long/difficult, I sometimes spread it over two weeks: last week he read Helen Keller's autobiography; this week he's starting Great Expectations.

Some of these books we then study as part of his Lightning Literature course, or as excerpts in his So You Really Want to Learn English book. Others he just reads. I don't have his reading time scheduled - he just knows he needs to complete it at some point during the week.

Best wishes

Laura

So in your silent reading, is that part of your regular school day -- I mean, you finish math work then say, "Ok, sit here and read for an hour" and then after an hour say, "An hour's over, let's go on to grammar work"?

I'm just trying to get a concrete picture in my mind. To date with my oldest I've been really hands-off in my reading approach, because he just took to it so fast and early. My second ds has been slower to take off, so he still does scheduled, assigned reading (aloud) as part of his sit-down schoolwork, but only for about 15-20 minutes and with early-reader type books.

No, after school is done, at 2pm, we have an hour of rest/sleep, and then at 3pm we have an hour of silent reading. Then at 4pm, DH arrives and we swing into the evening routine, which is piano practice, supper, etc. I leave their assigned reading on the stairs and they come get the books and go back to their rooms.

Yes, my children do sleep even though they are older. We are not home every single day, so it works out to 3-4 times per week. If they miss it more than two days in a row or so, boy, I can sure tell by their behavior! I always needed a lot of sleep, so I guess they got my faulty genes.

My 5th grader is doing Modern history & lit this year. So, he is kind of stuck with quite a few books that are a real stretch for him. (We are basically doing the 8th grade WTM Lit list, tho' there have been a couple I've let him skip completely.)

But, I let him read along to a recording, or I read with him. Usually I end up doing most of the reading out loud. But, he is expected to read along silently with me, and to be able to pick up at any time. I'm not worried about this making things "too easy" for him, because these books are really stretching him, and reading them together allows us to cover vocabulary and complicated syntax, and just to check that he is understanding. This time varies anywhere from 30 min to an hour daily. It just really depends on the book and our schedule, and the interruptions we've had that day.

But, I do have him read a "free choice" book for an hour each day. (Sometimes these end up being picked by me because he still doesn't like choosing his own books.) This reading is *usually* at night before bed, or at least it was. More and more it is happening "sometime" during the day - whenever dd needs some attention, and my older ds is doing his work. If so, then I will usually read with him at night (or after dinner, or during dd's nap). Can you tell that I really do *try* to have a schedule, and find it an effort in futility?!?!?!?!?

Also, we (all) read historical fiction together. I gather these titles from WTM Supplemental Lit lists & Sonlight mostly. We usually read these first thing in the morning while we sip coffee and wake up. Maybe 30-45 minutes a day. (Though we have been known to cancel some of classes in order to keep reading - LOL!)

Best of luck!