Menu

teaching literary elements??????

z2_mom

I am trying to find something that teaches literary elements....like style, plot, character, irony, etc.....

This would be for Junior high student, who is an excellent reader. I need to stretch her mind more!

It can either be a reading curriculum or something that uses living books. I would like something that has a good teachers manual or guide for me. Something that that has the student dig a bit deeper into the book. I don't mind comprehension questions but want more depth.

Suggestions please????

thanks,.

lynda

Lightning Literature? DD used LL7 and she found it pretty easy as she had read most of those books. She found it enjoyable! We skipped LL8 since she really had read all those as well. We decided to go with something a little more challenging and are working our way thru the Medieval British guide. We have just started it but so far so good.

HTHs,

In addition to Lightning Lit. 7 and 8 (each a full year program, with student information, student workpages, complete literary works, and teacher guides), Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings is a great, gentle intro to literary analysis.

Lighting Lit = http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/blight.asp

Lit. Lessons from Lord of the Rings homepage = http://www.homescholar.org/

Lit. Lessons from Lord of the Rings table of contents = http://www.homescholar.org/Table%20of%20Contents.htm

Lit. Lessons from Lord of the Rings samples = http://www.homescholar.org/Samples.htm

And two very helpful resources for learning about literary elements are:

- Figuratively Speaking: Using Classic Literature to Teach 40 Literary Terms

- Story Elements (both the gr. 5/6 AND the gr. 7/8 ones are helpful)

See sample pages of each at http://www.rainbowresource.com

Not used this resource myself, but several people really like the Christian Light Education reading program, which, starting in 4th/5th grade, teaches literary analysis. See it at: http://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/1

My oldest started the CLE reading program (reader/workbooks) in grade 7. It's a reader and 5 workbooks that takes 16 weeks if you do it 5 days/wk. I highly recommend CLE reading! Join the CLE yahoo group to see samples in the photos section of the group.

Here's what in CLE reading 7:

SUNRISE READING 700 – The Road Less Traveled

Labeling similes and metaphors

Interpreting similes and metaphors

Identifying the main ideas of paragraphs

Learning to form correct mind pictures from the story

Reviewing alliteration

Working with the Latin word parts

co-, con-, com-, col-

Learning about theme

Learning about imagery in poetry

Studying etymologies of words

Identifying internal and external

conflict

Learning to accept differences in

others

Working with personification

Working with the Latin prefix pro-

Learning to correctly read poetry

Reviewing mood in a poem

Working with humor in a story

Interpreting various dialects

Learning good judgment in reading

Learning about symbols

Working with the Latin word part

trans-

Studying about history and legend

Working with rhyme scheme in poetry

Learning qualities of parables

Thinking about fads

Studying humor in language

Reviewing internal and external conflict

Studying various Latin roots

Writing paraphrases

Identifying allusions in a story

Reviewing onomatopoeia

Working with the Greek word auto-

Finding where something is first introduced

Observing characters’ various reactions to a problem

Identifying the conflict

Working with story plot

Determining the importance of story

details to the plot

Thinking about heroes

Marking rhyme scheme

Identifying alliteration

Working with an expanded metaphor

Interpreting the story

Using context clues to define words

Thinking about right and wrong ways

to treat people

Working with the word part uni-

Learning about monologue

Interpreting figures of speech

Working with setting and mood

Determining rhyme scheme

Learning about and writing a parody

Practicing clear thinking

Making inferences

Determining character from speech

and actions

Reviewing static and dynamic characters

Organizing a paragraph in sequence

form

Developing good diction

Choosing words with good connotation

Working with imagery

Marking meter in a poem

Working with the word part peri-

Working with setting and plot

Reviewing conflict, crisis, climax, and

resolution

Writing the story from a different point

of view

Classifying related items from the

story

Working with the Greek word part tele-

Writing a basic outline of the story

Choosing correct descriptions of characters

Using context clues to find vocabulary

words

Working with metaphors

Marking rhythm pattern

Using the dictionary

Working with figures of speech

Determining broad and specific setting

Working with conflict and crisis

Finding vivid descriptions

Working with the Greek word phobos

Reviewing expanded metaphor

Interpreting symbols

Thinking about prejudice

Communicating clearly

Determining the reason for happenings

Working with the word part aqua-

Identifying setting and plot

Deciding which details are important to

the plot

Learning to think about what you hear

Writing rhyme scheme

Learning about eye rhyme

Interpreting the poem

Reviewing prejudice

Thinking about personal responsibility

Working with irony

Working with the theme of the reader

Reviewing characteristics of parables

Choosing the correct paraphrase

Comparing two similar stories

Classifying items

Working with the Greek word bios-

Making analogies

Learning the difference between imply

and infer

Finding allusions

Interpreting unfamiliar terms

Recognizing faulty thinking

Determining premise and conclusion

Learning about parallels in poetry

Identifying figures of speech

Working with the root word solus

Working with the Greek word part geo-

Working with the Latin word scribere

Identifying premise and conclusion

Learning about four reasoning

fallacies

Working with plot

Interpreting the image in the poem

Marking rhyme scheme

Writing contrasting parallels

Working with the Greek word chronos-

Thinking about fairness

Marking rhythm pattern

Matching synonyms

Defining stoop

Reviewing clear thinking

Working with the suffix -ism

Interpreting the metaphor

Learning about free verse

Dividing a poem into stanzas

Identifying faulty thinking

Reviewing conflict

Working with the Greek word micro-

Dividing a poem into stanzas

Writing clear sentences

Thinking about racism

Thinking about slavery

Reviewing irony

Learning about sarcasm

Determining setting

Making inferences

Reviewing premise and conclusion

Reviewing various word parts

Reviewing metered and free verse

Comparing and contrasting characters

Thinking about consequences of sin

Determining the symbol in the story

Choosing synonyms

Finding similes and metaphors

Working with the word part inter-

Considering different points of view

Matching themes with story titles

We've started out very busily this year with an online literature and writing class so I never started CLE Reading in the fall. Now that the class is thankfully over, I pulled out the CLE Reading I bought last summer because of recommendations I read here. (Thanks, Michelle!)

Dd 13 has started with the 7th grade anthology and she LOVES it. She's a very solid reader but is missing answers because it forces her to think more deeply than she's used to. She has started another coop English class because I want her to work on essay writing in preparation for high school, but she has asked to have CLE Reading as her English class. It's something she looks forward to and with other things going on she's made room for it.

The integrated vocabulary is nice, too.

I use Lightning Lit (which I find kind of light)

I'm glad to have started using it early. It has worked fine with a younger child who was happy to read fairly long texts.

We are also using So You Really Want to Learn English, which includes a light introduction to technical terms in poetry (assonance, alliteration, etc.). I expect to dive into all this more deeply when Calvin is about fourteen.

Laura

How light is Lighting Lit 7? ----I know that my dd has read some of the books in LL 7, and that the other would be an easy read for her. I do not mind it being an easy read because I know that to teach some of the concepts that one needs not be challenged by reading itself. How much time does it take to do each day? How much time is spent on each book etc?

Teaching the Classics, does this give you a general idea of how to teach literature and then to apply that to each book? Is there a standard set of questions that it goes through? Does it have a list of each literary term and its definition, so that can help you to find it in each book? Does the book list that accompanies this let you know what books may be a good example of certain literary elements?

How is the Bravewritter? Is this enough for each book or would something deeper be better?

Elson readers does this cover things like the CLE reading? My dd is afraid that the CLE would get to religious. We don't mind the Christian content but she did not like the Progeny Press guides because it related everything back to religion. She like both a secular and a religious view point. This is my child that is on the edge with her faith so I don't want to push her to hard in either direction--KWIM.

thanks

lynda

Figuratively Speaking with my ds11. It is not a literature program, but it teaches hyperbole, idiom, characterization, conflict, setting, etc. using excerpts from classic literature. I also have a strong reader and didn't necessarily need comprehension questions, but wanted to make sure we were covering some of these literary concepts. You can cover them in any order & tie them into a book you are reading already. If you check it out on the Rainbow Resource website, you can see the table of contents and a sample page. I think it was around $12-14 and says it's for grades 5-8.

HTH!

I can't tell you how long LL7 takes per day, as we've done it over an extended period, switching back and forth between it and SY English. The schedule also assumes that you will spend a long time having your student just read the texts; we do that as assigned reading, so it doesn't fall into the 'English' box of our timetable. If you go to the LL website, I think there's a list of what elements are included.

Laura

Teaching the Classics! It is wonderful and you can use it with whichever novels or stories your child is already reading!

I also use CLE Reading which is also good, although I believe Teaching the Classics is more effective at teaching literary elements. I previously used Mosdos and it was okay (beautiful book but not as comprehensive as CLE).

How light is Lighting Lit 7? ----I know that my dd has read some of the books in LL 7, and that the other would be an easy read for her. I do not mind it being an easy read because I know that to teach some of the concepts that one needs not be challenged by reading itself. How much time does it take to do each day? How much time is spent on each book etc?

Depends on how you decide to schedule LL7, but we found that it took us about 40-50 min/day, 4 days/week -- and that was with reading the works out loud together. Also, while it is scheduled for 36 weeks, I don't think it took us more than 30 weeks to complete. It's a very gentle program, and it was easy to do LL along with:

- separate writing program

- separate grammar program

- additional literature and/or solo reading

Here's a recent past thread in which a number of people shared how they scheduled LL7 and how long it took. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lightning Lit: How Long?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79899

Thanks for all the link and information. I think that I need to spend some time with the internet tonight and really just dig and compare samples. Part of me is worried that LL might be too light. But then if it covers what I need it too, we can just do it faster or do a book/unit take a break read something else then do another unit etc. ---------Maybe I just need to get cliff notes for each book and instead of sitting here at the internet make up my own literature units! :lol:

Thanks for the link to the other thread, I am going to go read it right now, and try to figure this all out.

Thanks,

lynda

I am trying to find something that teaches literary elements....like style, plot, character, irony, etc.....

This would be for Junior high student, who is an excellent reader. I need to stretch her mind more!

It can either be a reading curriculum or something that uses living books. I would like something that has a good teachers manual or guide for me. Something that that has the student dig a bit deeper into the book. I don't mind comprehension questions but want more depth.

Suggestions please????

thanks,.

lynda

I use the Learning Language Arts Through Literature Gold Book--American Literature study of the Short Story which covers many literary elements:

character study - conflict - flat characters - round characters - crisis - outlines - elements of fiction - setting - plot - foreshadowing - irony - themes - outcome - supporting your answer - point of view - first person narrative - omniscient author - third person objective - main character - interpretation - allegory - figurative meaning - novella - character development - plot development - topics - reference books - stream-of-consciousness - compare and contrast - comparison (taken from http://www.commonsensepress.com/scope/scope2.htm#gold).

Stories read:

The Real Thing (Henry James)

The Open Boat (Stephen Crane)

Unlighted Lamps (Sherwood Anderson)

The Catbird Seat (James Thurber)

To the Mountains (Paul Horgan)

Young Goodman Brown (Nathaniel Hawthorne)

The Fall of the House of Usher (Poe)

Bartleby the Scrivener (Melville)

Baker's Bluejay Yarn (Twain)

A Village Singer (Freeman)

If you do it all, it can take most of a semester, depending upon how you schedule it. They have the student answer questions about the stories that deal with the literary elements; there are thought questions and some writing assignments. There is an answer key in the student book--after each week's worth of student's material, there are a few pages of the answer key for the mom. I use it with my children in 9th grade; an 8th grader who reads well could do it.

$27 new--I bet you could find it for a lot less used. I wouldn't buy the older edition.

More depth? Maybe. Maybe not.

Jean

P.S. Here is a sample lesson from the book, but it is from the poetry section, not the short story:

http://www.commonsensepress.com/slessons/gold-sl.htm

Edited by Jean in Wisc

The literature guides by Garlic Press go into a lot of the literary elements. We used one for The Giver and are using another one for The Hobbit right now.

We also have Figuratively Speaking, which someone else mentioned. We just started it, but it is a good resource with activities.