Menu

Runners...how to start?

Now that my kids are older, I want to begin running. I need to lose some weight, about 10 lbs, but I really need to relieve stress.

1. When do you run? As much as I go over this, my day is so packed and I don't want to run midday, only to have to shower and redo makeup, so it looks like early morning is my only option. Is this dangerous? I'm thinking 6am. My town is safe, but I don't want to be the first bad news :glare:.

2. How do I start? Slow and just keep going longer, or walk and build up to running?

3. How long do I need to run per day in order to begin to lose weight without much dietary changes?

Thanks!

Ruthie

Years ago I was a big runner - did half-marathons and such - but then I stopped running until recently. Rather than jumping right into fully running again, I started with walking to build up my stamina and muscles again. So I first walked for 30 minutes, 10 times. Then 35 minutes, 10 times. I am just finishing up walking for 40 minutes, 10 times. Next week, I will gradually add in running, so walk for 2 minutes, then run for 1 minute. I will slowly add running time while subtracting walking time, so 4 minutes of running then 1 minute of walking, until I am running for 30 minutes. For some reason, 30 minutes of running seems to be the threshold for me to be able to go from there for longer periods of time. This schedule from walking for 30 minutes to running for 30 minutes will take me about 5 months, going out about 3 times a week. That seems like forever, but it's a good way to slowly ease your body into it, prevent injuries, and stick with it.

I am not the typical runner-type of person, but I have lost 6 pounds since starting in mid-December. I haven't changed my diet at all, but run because I like food and then can feel like I can eat whatever I want.

I go out at 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. and am home before DH leaves for work. I don't run with anyone else, or wear an ipod, but use the time for personal reflection (and to listen for cars!).

Good luck!

Suzanne

Yeah! Another runner!! I started running last March. I had started out working out inside my house 5 times a week before that, so I was in decent shape. I started out walking for a block and then running for a block. I did that for three miles about 5 times/week. I gradually increased the running and decreased the walking. I was able to run the whole thing after about two months. Now, I run between 4 and 6 miles/day, 5 days/week. (Weather permitting - I refuse to run when it's below 0 degrees!!)

That said, invest in a good pair of shoes before you start. I didn't and ended up with shin splints and a bout of tendonitis. It was painful and I very nearly gave up. Once I bought good shoes (go to a running store so they can watch you walk/run and see where you need the most support. They should also let you try running outside in them if they are a good store!), I didn't have a problem with injuries. Be prepared to spend around $100.

I run early in the morning. Unfortunately, the sun doesn't come up here before 7 or so (later in December), so it's been later than I like lately. But, I refuse to run in the dark. I'm too afraid of being hit by a car. I have, occasionally, run in the afternoon. I do have better runs. I think it's because I have more food in my system then.

I can't answer your question about losing weight. I have hit a plateau and I'm VERY frustrated. I lost 20 pounds right away early last year and I've been stuck there ever since. I have about 10 - 15 to go and it is just VERY stubborn weight. So, I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what people recommend about that!

Hi! I'm certainly not an "expert" on this one...but I was in your same boat last spring, and have done about the exact same thing, so I'll let you know what I've done, as it has worked very well.

Last April I started out by walking in the mornings...about 6am. We lived out in the coutry still, and there were very few people out and about at that time of the morning, so it kind of gave me the creeps to be out there alone, but everything was totally fine. It was totally light out at that time of the morning, by April, here. Lots of nice people waved to me!

I have scoliosis and a bum knee and foot. So, I decided to start out by walking. I walked about 2 miles to begin with. Then, I started jogging as far as I could. So, after about 1.5 months, I was jogging most of the time, and only walking when I thought I was going to die. My back and knee and foot held up very well to this.

By the end of the summer, I was running about 2.5 miles, slow for most people, but great for me. So, I let that take me about 3 months to get to that point. Then the bad weather hit and we moved into town, and it started getting dark early. I took about a month off completely. That wasn't good for me, but I didn't know what to do really.

At that point, I bought a used treadmill, and pretty much got on it and was able to pick up where I left off. After a couple months, I was able to run a 10K on the treadmill. (Our weather is horrible here in the winter...major wind and cold...so outside is NOT where I want to be...I'd love to live someplace much, much warmer.)

Anyway, now days, I pretty much do a half hour to 40 minutues on the treadmill, running the whole time. Definately not a 10K every day, but I don't have that kind of time either. Some mornings I get up and do it at 6am, and some days I just can't make myself do that, so I put on my sweats, brush my teeth and hair, wash my face, and wait for my shower until after I'm done with my workout...which usually comes at lunch time. My kids are getting older, so it isn't so hard to do this anymore. Actually, I think it is good for them. They see mom taking time out of a busy day to care for herself...and since I have 4 daughters, I think that is a good thing to teach them...my son too.

As far as the weight goes...I had about 10 pounds to loose too. I was at 127 and in a size 4/6ish, last spring. Now I'm about 117-119 and a size 2/4ish. Honestly, it has taken almost all this time to loose those 10 pounds...but I didn't diet really at all. Just eating really healthy. My stretch marks will never go away, but my tummy is as flat as a pancake.

Oh yeah, that reminds me...I do 100 crunches and 50 push-ups every morning too.

Recently my oldest dd decided to loose the "baby" fat that she's been dealing with since hormones hit her a couple years ago. She's been getting up and doing Denise Austin at 6, followed by yoga at 6:30, and then treadmill later in the day, when it fits into her busy schedule. (She trying to loose about 30 pounds by mid-summer, so she's hitting it hard.) I've been getting up and doing the first 20 minutes of the Denise thing with her at 6...and then jamming in a run after that. It's been working out good...and wow has she changed in looks in only a couple weeks. I'm just so happy that I could be a good example to her.

Big advice is to get a great pair of shoes...you just have to go try them all on to see which ones fit best. If your feet aren't comfy, it's miserable. I turn my one ankle pretty bad too, and my shoes help with that a ton.

Also, if you can get or have an Ipod...that's awesome. I run way faster with my tunes, than without!

Biggest thing for me is to do it in moderation. I realized that this is something I need to keep up for the rest of my life (I'm 34) and if I go too crazy with it, I'll burn out. So, it's nice to know I can go over 6 miles at a time, but it certainly isn't something I'm gonna do every day. I simply have no time or desire for that. It has never been my goal to run a marathon, just be healthy. I think you need to look at your life and decide what your goals are, and then stick with that.

Hope that helps a little.

I haven't changed my diet at all, but run because I like food and then can feel like I can eat whatever I want.

I go out at 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. and am home before DH leaves for work. I don't run with anyone else, or wear an ipod, but use the time for personal reflection (and to listen for cars!).

Suzanne,

LOL, that's why I will start... so I can continue to eat food. I love to eat SSOOO much!

When you go out that early, do you feel safe? Do you change up your roads?

Ruthie

I roughly used this plan (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) when I was a beginner runner. It was very easy to follow but pushes you hard!

I started this last fall but for a bunch of reasons stopped. I'm going to start again in the next few weeks.

There is a series of podcasts which you can download into an mp3 player in which the guy has put in music to get you moving and also he keeps track of time so you know when to stop/start walking/running.

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/podcasts.html

If I can do it, you can do it. I started running when I was 231 pounds and could only run for 2 minutes. LOL I'm up to 40 minutes now and feel so great!

As for when, you just run whenever you can. I *do* go in the afternoon because that's when I can fit it in. I just take my showers in the afternoon instead of in the mornings/evenings. No biggie and I kinda like the midday wake-up! lol Sometimes I take 2 showers in one day, but not often.

I run on a treadmill at a gym in the winter months, mainly because it gets very cold and messy here--not everyone shovels their sidewalks :glare: and I don't feel safe running in the road. Can't wait for spring! I'll still use the gym but less often as I train for a 5k and then 10k. :)

My advice is warm up with walking or riding a stationary bike for 6-8 minutes, THEN stretch. Walk for a while (increasing your speed over 10-20 minutes or however long you want), then run for 2-5 minutes or as long as you can, and cool down with 6-8 minutes of walking again. Every week, add more minutes to your running tme and you'll be surprised how quickly your endurance builds up!

My starting schedule was to run M-W-F and strength train on the other days. Now, I run M-W-F-Sat or Sun and walk/run on the opposite days as well as strength training. (For example, on a cardio/running day I walk a total of 10-15 min. and run for 30-40 min. On a strength training day, I do the opposite and walk for 30-40 min. at a good clip and then run just 10-20 min.)

I was a personal trainer before kids - have a degree in it and everything! And, I am a runner. One shoe does not fit all. You could find out you are a natural runner and pick it up quickly or you may need a real gradual turn into it. The best bet is to always start out slow. Injury and common discomfort from exercise is probably the top reason people stop doing it. It would probably be a good idea to just start out walking and see how it goes. If you feel like running/jogging at the end go for it. Make sure you stretch fully afterwards. Slow and gradual and just listen to you body.

When I got back into running after my daughter was born, she is 2, it was a real struggle for me - I was having headaches and hip pain. I backed off and did walking and played tennis. I just recently picked up running on a treadmill at the gym. It has been a good gradual process. I felt I could only run 2x in the week and about 8 weeks later am doing 3x week. I could definitely do more but I don't have enough time to get there on the other days. I am now running without headaches and hip pain!

I think the general goal to have an active lifestyle is 30 min. of vigorous exercise 3-4 days a week. For weight loss the time could go up to 45 min. or the days could be increased. What I really like is strength training and running. The running I truly enjoy and the strength training makes me feel strong. Building muscle is a great way to lose weight because it takes longer for the muscle to build itself and therefore uses up more energy over a greater amount of time, even after you are done doing it. Whereas, the running, which is cardiovascular fitness burns calories as well, but mostly during the activity itself and not after.

I'm going on a bit too much. I hope some of it is helpful.

I just started running in December. I googled, "couch to 5K", a lot of programs popped up. I just picked one. It alternates walking/running gradually increasing your run time. Now I run 28 minutes and will be running 30 minutes by next week. (my first goal)

I run at that time in the morning but all I have to worry about is coyotes, cougars and wolves.:eek: I carry bear spray and I am not worried, the chances of being attack are slim. I still like the bear spray though.:)

Good luck!

Now that my kids are older, I want to begin running. I need to lose some weight, about 10 lbs, but I really need to relieve stress.

Good for you for making some positive changes!:) You're already receiving loads of good advice, but I'll toss in my spare change, too.

1. When do you run? As much as I go over this, my day is so packed and I don't want to run midday, only to have to shower and redo makeup, so it looks like early morning is my only option. Is this dangerous? I'm thinking 6am. My town is safe, but I don't want to be the first bad news :glare:.

A lot's happening at 6 a.m. so I can't imagine why it'd be dangerous to run at that time. I myself prefer to run, on weekdays, in the later afternoon, when we're done with school. My Saturday long runs tend to be toward the first half of the day. In the summer, when we aren't schooling, I tend to head out in the morning ~ but not super early. I'm definitely a stronger runner later in the day.

2. How do I start? Slow and just keep going longer, or walk and build up to running?

One of the most common mistakes, for new runners, is to try and tackle too much, too soon. People say, "I'll just start with a couple miles", but the reality for someone starting from scratch is that a couple of miles is usually unrealistic. Mixing walking and running is a great way to build up your endurance. I used the Couch-to-5K plan from coolrunning.com and I've recommended it to many people who have also used it successfully.

3. How long do I need to run per day in order to begin to lose weight without much dietary changes?

I don't have specific experience because weight's never been an issue for me. But wouldn't enter into it with this mindset because if you don't lose weight as quickly as you'd like, you may feel discouraged and quit. Think of it as a stress reliever, and if you lose some weight, that's an added bonus. But if you truly want to shed some pounds, dietary changes may be an important part of that equation.

Just wanted to answer the weight loss question. You'll probably immediately begin to build muscle and I've found when I've started running that I *gain* weight at first, from all the new muscle. I wouldn't expect to lose anything the first month at least (if you do that will be a good bonus! :D). Hey, if you can simply maintain your weight through the initial muscle-building process, you'll be doing great!

I've been a runner all my life but have only recently (past 4 years) been as devoted as I am now.

When to run? When you can! For most, that is first thing in the morning. Things happen throughout the day and it is too easy let the run get pushed aside.

How to start? Find a plan that looks do-able for you. Jeff Galloway's website is a great place to start. Also, Hal Higdon. Both have training plans for 5K and beyond. Start with a 5K and go from there.

Best advice: Go to a running store like Fleet Feet and get good shoes! Definitely worth the extra $. After every run, stretch well and hydrate.

Btw, I *do* run partly for weight loss and I consistently lose .5 to 1 pound a week. Sometimes a bit more and sometimes nothing. It's NOT necessarily a quick way to lose (although my beginning numbers were a great motivator! LOL), but I really believe that it's a great way to do it if your body can handle it! I think that running on a regular basis raises your metabolism enough that you are burning more calories even at "rest" or just going through your normal day. That's what I've found, at least. When I've had to take long periods of time off, I've not gained back very much weight, either.

When you go out that early, do you feel safe? Do you change up your roads?

Ruthie

Ruthie - I feel totally safe, because I run in my general neighborhood, and know at least one person on each block that I could run to if needed. Also, I try to practice what DH calls "situational awareness," meaning I am aware of what is going on around me and not just zoning out. I keep the same general route, changing things every now and then when I get bored. I've found that quiet, residential streets are easier to run on than busier streets.

Also, there are many, many days in the winter here when it is just impossible to go out running. I am not a big fan of treadmills, because they mess with my equilibrium and I am very dizzy when finished, so I go to our county rec. center and walk on their track. It's an excruciating 17.5 times around for one mile, but with an ipod the time goes fast and it's always a comfy 70 degrees.

Good luck!

Suzanne

Whatever time works best for you. For me waking up at 4:45A every morning worked. I now run in the afternoons. The couch to 5K is a good place to start but I did one I found in prevention magazine.

It went something like this. walk 5 min, run 1min walk 1 min for 25min walk 5 min. Week 2 walk 5 min run 2 min walk 1 min for 25min, walk 5 min. Every week you add 1 min to your run.