Menu

What do you all think of A to Z Mysteries?

daisychics

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b_0_9?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=a+to+z+mysteries&x=0&y=0&sprefix=a+to+z+my

Looking desperately for books for my ds. He has gone through the MTH books and is reading it all over again. In between, he has read Tale of Despereaux, Mouse and the Motorcycle (he liked), Ginger Pye (eh! didn't finish), Wrinkle in Time (not interested but I read it and loved it! :001_smile:)and a bunch of picture books he gets at the library. I can't seem to figure out what type of books he would like.

Let me know if these are good, thanks. :bigear:

IMO they are similar to MTH just a reading level above, maybe. My ds got some for Christmas last year A-F, he enjoyed them, but I would think if your dc reading level is much about a 3 or 4 they would seem too childish.

I have not read any of them so I can't comment on the content.

IMO they are similar to MTH just a reading level above, maybe. My ds got some for Christmas last year A-F, he enjoyed them, but I would think if your dc reading level is much about a 3 or 4 they would seem too childish.

I have not read any of them so I can't comment on the content.

Okay, mine is childish so that will work :tongue_smilie:. I'll put some on hold at the library and try 'em out. Thanks. Now I just have to figure out which ones are the first ones, gonna google.

They're not literature, but harmless. My twins really liked them and probably read each multiple times. Very easy reads - if your ds can read Despereaux they'll be waaay easy for him, but possibly still enjoyable.

The books go from A-Z (there are 26 titles, each beginning with a different level), but my kids read them out of order - I don't think it matters much which order you read them in.

My son loves the A-Z Mysteries, and if you want another great series...he also loves the "My Life as a....(Alien Monster Bait...)" series. I can't think of the author right now...maybe Bill Myers. We read them aloud and think they are hilariously funny--with a Christian slant (a plus for us!).

Yeah, when I taught third grade, they were popular at the beginning of the school years. Some other series that were popular were The Boxcar Children, Capital Mysteries, Bailey School Kids, Secrets of Droon, the younger Matt Christopher books (Peach Street Mudders or something like that), Horrible Harry, dragon books by someone named Koller, and the Magic School Bus chapter books. None of these are difficult reads, but they were a nice bridge. Good second to early third grade books.

My son loves the A-Z Mysteries, and if you want another great series...he also loves the "My Life as a....(Alien Monster Bait...)" series. I can't think of the author right now...maybe Bill Myers. We read them aloud and think they are hilariously funny--with a Christian slant (a plus for us!).

Oooooh, I'll check 'em out.

Yeah, when I taught third grade, they were popular at the beginning of the school years. Some other series that were popular were The Boxcar Children, Capital Mysteries, Bailey School Kids, Secrets of Droon, the younger Matt Christopher books (Peach Street Mudders or something like that), Horrible Harry, dragon books by someone named Koller, and the Magic School Bus chapter books. None of these are difficult reads, but they were a nice bridge. Good second to early third grade books.

Wow, let me check those out too. I'm trying Alvin's Code, Harriet the Spy, and From the Mixed-up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler right now, we'll see if those will fly. :D

Okay, mine is childish so that will work :tongue_smilie:. I'll put some on hold at the library and try 'em out. Thanks. Now I just have to figure out which ones are the first ones, gonna google.

They start at A and go from there.:) My daughter really enjoyed them when she was younger. I still catch her reading them to her younger brother and claiming he likes them.:tongue_smilie:

Simple but content is okay.

Well, if he can read Mixed Up Files and Harriet the Spy, he's way beyond these in terms of reading level. The ones I mentioned are simple, short, younger kid oriented.

To tell you the truth, I'll probably end up reading them aloud. I'm just hoping that he'll take over like he did with Tale of Despereaux.

Oh yeah, he enjoyed Pippi Longstockings too (but he didn't take over, I read it out loud).

OMG!!! This series is what got my son into reading!!!!! :hurray:

Then after A to Z mysteries, he got into Capital Mysteries. OO! It was great. My son got very interested in American history. We bought a plate mat with the presidents on it. He started memorizing all the presidents. He read them in first grade. He was just loving reading.

We found out about them originally when my husband checked out the books on CD. We listened to them and my son was hooked. I believe he read them all.

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

My ds just turned 8 and loves animal stories. It sounds like yours might too. I find that although ds' reading level is high, a lot of the books at 5th, 6th,7th grade reading level are not at his emotional level. The Mixed Up Files is a good example. We read it last year but a main theme is alienation from your parents which at 7 (and a homeschooler to boot) is just a foreign concept. Harriet the Spy also has mature threads, I think.

His favorite animal books: Socks, Henry Huggins, Henry and Ribsy, Ribsy, Mouse and the Motorcycle by B. Cleary, Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks, Pearl's Promise and Pearl's Pirates by Frank Asch, Rabbit Hill and the Long Winter by Robert Lawson, Justin Morgan and Misty of Chincoteague by Margeurite Henry, I Freddy and sequels by Dietlof Reiche, Water Horse by Dick King Smith, THe Great Cheese Conspiracy and Sequels by Jean Van Leeuwen,

Adventure/Boy series: The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by E. Cameron, Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald by Clifford Hicks,

Myths and Epics can be spellbinding at that age (and any age)- The King of Ireland's Son by Padraic Colum was a can't put down for 24 hours kind of book.

Have Fun

Susan

ds(8)

My ds just turned 8 and loves animal stories. It sounds like yours might too. I find that although ds' reading level is high, a lot of the books at 5th, 6th,7th grade reading level are not at his emotional level. The Mixed Up Files is a good example. We read it last year but a main theme is alienation from your parents which at 7 (and a homeschooler to boot) is just a foreign concept. Harriet the Spy also has mature threads, I think.

His favorite animal books: Socks, Henry Huggins, Henry and Ribsy, Ribsy, Mouse and the Motorcycle by B. Cleary, Freddy the Pig series by Walter R. Brooks, Pearl's Promise and Pearl's Pirates by Frank Asch, Rabbit Hill and the Long Winter by Robert Lawson, Justin Morgan and Misty of Chincoteague by Margeurite Henry, I Freddy and sequels by Dietlof Reiche, Water Horse by Dick King Smith, THe Great Cheese Conspiracy and Sequels by Jean Van Leeuwen,

Adventure/Boy series: The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet by E. Cameron, Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald by Clifford Hicks,

Myths and Epics can be spellbinding at that age (and any age)- The King of Ireland's Son by Padraic Colum was a can't put down for 24 hours kind of book.

Have Fun

Susan

ds(8)

YES! Harriet the Spy is not flyin'. AND YES, he loved the Mouse and the Motorcycle and Ralph S. Mouse but we have not read the others you've mentioned. I'm putting those on the list as well, thank you.

***Oooh Freddy the Pig series looks like it could be a hit!

Edited by daisychics