Menu

HFCS???

High Fructose Corn Syrup. Or Karo in your pantry.

High fructose corn syrup is not the same thing as regular corn syrup. The generic brand of Karo in my pantry does contain some HFCS, but the major component is corn syrup.

Ria

High Fructose Corn Syrup. Or Karo in your pantry.

Karo Light, or the light colored corn syrup, has no listed HFCS. The ingredients listed are light corn syrup, vanilla, and salt. The only one I've seen with HFCS is their pancake variety.

We make an effort to avoid products with HFCS, but we don't go extreme with it. Our philosophy is "it's not what you do every now and then, but what you do every day that really counts."

Karo Light, or the light colored corn syrup, has no listed HFCS. The ingredients listed are light corn syrup, vanilla, and salt. The only one I've seen with HFCS is their pancake variety.

Karo Light used to contain high fructose corn syrup - I had some that was several years old in my pantry and noticed when I bought some more to make some homemade marshmallows this Christmas, that the new stuff no longer contains HFCS.

Google it with words like:

liver (because it affects your liver)

diabetis (because it can speed that process)

etc...

Also - go to http://www.mercola.com and do a search and see what he has to say.

Here is a good article I found there http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/07/10/how-high-fructose-corn-syrup-damages-your-body.aspx

And let's not forget it comes from CORN.....and GENETICALLY MODIFIED at that!

Edited by Karen sn

I refuse to feed it to my family. Absolutely refuse. The body cannot process it.

I was at someone's house and she was pointing out all the HFCS in her children's diet. Everything that she passed them had it. She even said that the lemon drink had it in there and she didn't know what to use that didn't have it in there. I suggested lemons.

I read labels every time I shop. My biggest fight is to find a hamburger roll without it. I bake our bread now as it has invaded the bread aisle. I don't buy soft drinks or cookies. Kellogg's and GM use it in their cold cereals. I cannot find a Crisped Rice cereal that doesn't have it in there. And I make my own yogurt.

They "say" that it is fine in moderation. But someone really has to do a study on the daily diet and the cumulative amount of HFCS consumed. When it is in everything, it is way more than moderate use.

Well, aside from all the objectionable items on the growing side - GMOs, tons of petrochemicals used, soil depletion, the negative effects of monoculture - and the part where it is added to just about all foods, whether they would normally be sweetened by sugar or not, HFCS has been linked to certain types of obesity and obesity related illness because our bodies do not process fructose in the same way as glucose, including storing it as belly fat, which seems to be the link to weight-related illness.

(Then we can go on to object to the byproducts being fed to cattle to make them cheaper, but in the process, on the verge of death at slaughter, and also much, much fattier... it just goes on and on.)

I refuse to feed it to my family. Absolutely refuse. The body cannot process it.

I was at someone's house and she was pointing out all the HFCS in her children's diet. Everything that she passed them had it. She even said that the lemon drink had it in there and she didn't know what to use that didn't have it in there. I suggested lemons.

I read labels every time I shop. My biggest fight is to find a hamburger roll without it. I bake our bread now as it has invaded the bread aisle. I don't buy soft drinks or cookies. Kellogg's and GM use it in their cold cereals. I cannot find a Crisped Rice cereal that doesn't have it in there. And I make my own yogurt.

They "say" that it is fine in moderation. But someone really has to do a study on the daily diet and the cumulative amount of HFCS consumed. When it is in everything, it is way more than moderate use.

You could look at some of the organic products. They tend not to use HFCS. The only problem there is that then you have to worry about canola oil and soy products.:tongue_smilie: They are getting you coming and going these days.

You could look at some of the organic products. They tend not to use HFCS. The only problem there is that then you have to worry about canola oil and soy products.:tongue_smilie: They are getting you coming and going these days.

They sure do.

I just need to break down and buy a hamburger roll pan. But then, it probably is coated with Teflon. :lol:

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? That is where I usually buy my bread and other products without HFCS. I bought Milton's brand hamburger buns at one of our grocery stores recently - maybe Raley's - I wish I could remember. I only have one child that likes to eat hamburgers on the bun, so when I buy a bag they sit in the freezer a long time as he pulls them out and uses them.

ETA: I tried to make Rice Krispy Treats with Puffed Rice. Not the same!

And: I have started to make my own yoghurt, but Kroger brand blended yogurt does not have HFCS (except for one flavor).

Edited by Kanga

• 2 weeks later...

I already dislike canola d/t the fact it comes from rapeseed and I am at a loss to understand HOW IN THE WORLD they can sell "organic" when it has to be modified genically in order to be sold for human consumption.

Is that your reason as well - or is there something more I should know.

I thought Canola was good for you. Is it not?

It's a matter of considerable dispute. Many "main-stream" nutritionists believe canola oil (and soy beans) are good for you. Canola because it is purported to be high in "mono-unsaturated" fat.

There is an organization called the Weston Price Foundation that strongly believes both canola oil and soy are not healthful. The WPF also promotes the use of coconut oil which was once dismissed by many mainstream nutritionists as an unhealthful "saturated" fat. Their advocacy of coconut oil does seem to be changing the perception of this oil and it's healthfulness among "health food" advocates.

Many participants on this forum are influenced by the WPF guidelines. My mind is open, but I'm uncertain about the science on either side of these issues. It's the best I can do to explain the divide on the issue.

Bill

What am I missing?

One thing that's missing in the discussion of HFCS (which I totally avoid, [that is to say HFCS, not the discussion :D) is the extent to which political considerations make its use so widespread. We've just been through a presidential election that began with the Iowa Caucus.

It's important to candidates of either party to try to win in Iowa. This (generally speaking) mandates supporting the farm subsidies which have made growing corn so [artificially] profitable, and so [artificially] inexpensive in the marketplace.

When HFCS costs a small fraction of what cane sugar costs, it's good-bye sugar in most products, especially soft-drinks. And with the price absurdly low the serving sizes of drinks (think Big Gulps) has grown my leaps and bounds with little cost to the producers.

The "ethanol" as fuel (from corn) initiatives may end up eliminating or reducing the cost advantage of HFCS, and people are certainly waking up to the health consequences. But right now our governmental farm policies subsidizing corn growers has an unfortunate consequence to our national health.

Bill

One thing that's missing in the discussion of HFCS (which I totally avoid, [that is to say HFCS, not the discussion :D) is the extent to which political considerations make its use so widespread. We've just been through a presidential election that began with the Iowa Caucus.

It's important to candidates of either party to try to win in Iowa. This (generally speaking) mandates supporting the farm subsidies which have made growing corn so [artificially] profitable, and so [artificially] inexpensive in the marketplace.

When HFCS costs a small fraction of what cane sugar costs, it's good-bye sugar in most products, especially soft-drinks. And with the price absurdly low the serving sizes of drinks (think Big Gulps) has grown my leaps and bounds with little cost to the producers.

The "ethanol" as fuel (from corn) initiatives may end up eliminating or reducing the cost advantage of HFCS, and people are certainly waking up to the health consequences. But right now our governmental farm policies subsidizing corn growers has an unfortunate consequence to our national health.

Bill

More & more, I'm reminded of 1984. And Brave New World. Would soma pills be the HFCS or the tax rebate $, do ya think? ;)

I have to say, I'm more overwhelmed all the time by the sheer amount of information to sift through. I asked dh this afternoon if the wild onions in our yard were edible. He laughed. I said, hey--there are no HFCS in them, & I didn't have to drive to the grocery store. My potato soup last night could really have used a couple of onions. :lol: