Menu

Need Help w/Curriculum Choices + Reading...

KristineinKS

Ever since we started homeschooling several weeks ago, I've had the feeling that something was missing in the choices I made. Today, I think I may have figured it out. Currently I'm combining my kids (who are in 4th & 6th) for everything except Math & English. First, here's what we're currently doing:

History & Bible: WP QAW & SOTW 1

English/Grammar: R&S

Math: Singapore

Handwriting: Peterson Handwriting (I think I need HWT instead)

Latin: Switching over to LCI any day now...

Science: Still struggling w/this

Here's my problem - by combining them, I've been doing A LOT of reading aloud (like, 2 hours of our day). I can't see how to avoid that unless I order 4 copies of most of the books, which would be very expensive. Yet currently, the kids are doing NO reading on their own & very little writing -- this can't be a good thing. None of the kids like reading & one of my twins in particular really struggles with it (I strongly suspect there's a few learning disorders at play & will be having him tested next week); also, none of the kids are good at working independently. I've tried having them do oral narrations, but it's really hard with 4 kids & so much material...dictation is impossible because my son who struggles w/reading also struggles with writing (and I hate to single him out & do things differently for him because he would hate it & so would the others). I guess my first question is how can I incorporate more reading & writing?

My second question...our days seem pretty "light" somehow. Even if I add science in, I'm guessing it would be twice a week. We typically do one or two art/craft activities a week. I know we just started but I don't feel like they're really learning *that* much (except in English) & I really don't want them all falling behind. Am I just being paranoid? :confused:

Looking at what you have, the only things I see missing is spelling/vocabulary, but I don't know if they are in your LA program.

Also art and/or music might be a good thing to add.

Writing - one of the things I do for SOTW - I type out the review questions, they have a hard copy of them. Since my oldest is 7 - I usually write the answers down for her and have her copy her narration (or the other way around). I do this, because I like having something tangible that she learned it. With older kids, you could still read the text out loud and then let them write their own answers and narrations.

As far as the reading, as long as you don't mind reading aloud for so much of the day, I would keep doing it.

Do they like hearing stories - just not reading themselves?

Are they reading around where they should be? if not you may want to add in some phonics studies for them.

I would let them each pick out their own library books (even if it is total junk, or below their reading level) and have a half hour (or so) of silent reading time every day. Everyone sits (or lays) in the family/living room and spends some time together reading quietly.

Many people who don't like to read actually have a decoding problem, here's why:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/aliterate.html

And, here's some tests to figure out if there is a problem and also for reading grade level:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

They're all old enough for my remedial phonics lessons if they end up needing phonics help. (Linked below.)

Jenny - Thank you! We've been using the McGuffey Eclectic Speller for spelling, however they're all at such different levels, I need to figure out something better/more user-friendly. We're not doing anything for vocabulary, I'm so glad you pointed that out! I also really like the idea of typing out the SOTW review questions.

They all enjoy me reading to them except dd who is the youngest, she gets bored & antsy with so much reading aloud.

All of them are at grade level for reading except the one twin I mentioned - he's definitely needs some type of phonics program, I've just been overwhelmed with were to begin on that. Also, some days he does better than others with reading, so it's *very* hard for me to gauge his actual ability.

I will definitely implement the 1/2 hour of reading per day. They pick out library books but then never read them.

I also do the 30 minute reading independently thing but I have a basket of books in the living room from the library, some of which they chose but most of which I chose covering a variety of topics. I tell them to pick something from the basket and then read. This usually works and they often choose the books I selected for their reading time. I also cover a variety of reading levels and sometimes they pick easy but others, they do pick the more challenging books.

I guess my first question is how can I incorporate more reading & writing?

Pathway Reader with Workbooks

CLE Reader with workbooks

Both are short stories with incorporated written work.

My second question...our days seem pretty "light" somehow. Even if I add science in, I'm guessing it would be twice a week. We typically do one or two art/craft activities a week. I know we just started but I don't feel like they're really learning *that* much (except in English) & I really don't want them all falling behind. Am I just being paranoid? :confused:

You could add in the Joy Hakim science (The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way) as a read aloud to coordinate with your history. You could also use Science in Ancient Egypt, Science in Ancient Mesopotamia, Science in Ancient China, Science in Ancient Greece, and Science in Ancient Rome.

I remember that when my middle was doing Ancient History in 6th grade I divided the year into trimesters. The first trimester we used Ancient Construction: From Tents to Towers and Ancient warfare : from clubs to catapults. The second trimester we used Archidemes and the Door of Science along with a portion of BF's History of Science. The third trimester we used Galen and the Gateway to Medicine and The Body Book.

Your list of books looks good, so I vote for paranoid.:tongue_smilie:

HTH-

Mandy

It's a reader with workbooks that is excellent.

Here's what's included in CLE reading 5:

SUNRISE READING 500 – Open Windows

LightUnit 501

Vocabulary words

Cause and effect

Identifying strong, active verbs

Describing story characters

Identifying similes

Defining words from context

Choosing facts to support a statement

Writing progressive degrees of a concept

Working with personification

Proving or disproving statements about a

story

Identifying and interpreting figures of

speech

Completing analogies

Inferring facts not directly stated

Understanding circumstantial evidence

and proof

Defining and using homographs

Understanding the term idiom

Interpreting common idioms

Answering five W questions

Numbering story events in order

Telling what story characters learned from

the way God worked

Listing traits of story characters

Working with rhythm and rhyme scheme

in poetry

LightUnit 502

Working with vocabulary words

Defining words from context

Understanding a proverb

Creating an alternate story title

Identifying character’s feelings

Identifying the most important event in a

story

Completing analogies that have more than

one correct answer

Understanding a nonverbal message

Predicting what happened after the story

Marking poetic rhythm

Using principle and principal

Scanning for answers or topics

Evaluating story characters’ actions

Identifying a story’s main lesson

Understanding the meaning of prejudice

and its foolishness

Identifying a biography

Defining foot as used in poetry

Identifying metrical feet in a poem

Thinking about race prejudice

Working with synonyms

Marking rhythm in a poem

LightUnit 503

Telling what could have happened

Identifying main ideas and summaries

Identifying a characters fears and hardships

Learning about other inventions of

Benjamin Franklin

Marking poetic rhythm and meter

Working with perfect and imperfect rhyme

Numbering unstated events in order

Identifying figures of speech

Defining and identifying metaphors

Finding evidence to support statements

Outlining a simple story plot

Explaining a figure of speech

Identifying metaphors, similes, and personification

Defining words from their context

Suggesting others whom the sinking of the

Titanic would have affected

Comparing a poem and a story

Identifying main ideas of paragraphs

Explaining the meanings of sentences

Understanding conflict, internal conflict,

and external conflict

Identifying areas of conflict in the story

LightUnit 504: Out in Nature

Identifying cause and effect

Identifying the story purpose and details

that further the story purpose

Working with guide words

Using the dictionary

Finding metaphors in the Bible

Defining biography

Identifying a metaphor in a poem

Scanning to locate facts

Writing an essay imagining he is Peter

walking on the water

Identifying a metaphor from the story

Marking the rhyme scheme of a poem

Writing another title for the story

Making a prediction

Categorizing natural resources

Naming reference books needed to find

answers to given questions

Identifying hints of how a character will act

Defining free verse

Identifying main ideas, story lessons, and

summaries of stories

Completing a poetic couplet

Reading about KJV Bible

Rewriting KJV phrases in modern English

Identifying characters, setting, external

and internal conflict in the story

Understanding a character’s actions

Imagining what might have happened

LightUnit 505

Working with vocabulary words.

Understanding story characters’ actions

and feelings

Working with main idea, story lesson, and

summary

Thinking about idle words

Working with personification

Making a simple outline of a story

Categorizing words

Explaining an idiom

Identifying emotions as shown by words

Interpreting figures of speech

Defining circumstantial evidence

Scanning for answers

Imagining details not given

Imagining story characters’ feelings and

explaining possible reasons for their

actions

Telling what might have happened

Identifying similes

Choosing exact, specific verbs to replace

weak ones

Learning the term epigram

Join the CLE yahoo group to see samples

Many people who don't like to read actually have a decoding problem, here's why:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/aliterate.html

And, here's some tests to figure out if there is a problem and also for reading grade level:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

They're all old enough for my remedial phonics lessons if they end up needing phonics help. (Linked below.)

Thank you for these links! I have 1 that tolerates reading but definitely does not read voluntarily. I have 1 that has to be forced to read. Both are good spellers. I have 1 that enjoys reading but is a lousy speller. I wonder if this sort of thing is their problem????

And on another note, my dh doesn't like to read, and I know he was not taught with phonics. He has his doctorate and HAS to read for work all the time, but for pleasure? It is RARE. (Like, I can count on 2 hands the number of books he has read for pleasure in our almost 15 years of marriage.)

Of course now these links may totally mess up our school plans....LOL!

I also really like the idea of typing out the SOTW review questions.

If you want I have the questions for level 1 typed up - we did it last year. They are in one excel document with each part its own worksheet.

If you send me a pm with your email address I will email it to you - I can't figure out how to attach things from my computer to anywhere in this forum.

Wow, great suggestions here - thank you! I will look into the CLE Reading because I think the workbooks will be helpful. I do pick out a bunch of library books for our book basket, but I'm never sure if the kids are actually reading them when I force them to, or just looking at the pictures. The science suggestions also look great & I will definitely be utilizing the reading tests Elizabeth, thanks!