Menu

What do you use to clean...

What do you use to clean the outside of your kitchen cupboards? I've tried my regular all-purpose, antibacterial cleaner, and it's not cuttin' it. They still feel sticky/greasy. :ack2: What can I use, and where do you find it? For some reason, I've decided that the entire kitchen needs cleaning and reorganizing. But I'm stuck on how to clean those gross cabinet doors!

I was never really sucessful getting my old kitchen cupboads clean. When we redid the kitchen last summer I was told by several guys that there is just not getting them clean. The old varnish or whatever, just degrades and there is really no getting that off. I felt so much better..I thought I was a failure.

I am using a fabulous microfiber cloth and water to keep my new ones clean.

I was never really sucessful getting my old kitchen cupboads clean. When we redid the kitchen last summer I was told by several guys that there is just not getting them clean. The old varnish or whatever, just degrades and there is really no getting that off. I felt so much better..I thought I was a failure.

I am using a fabulous microfiber cloth and water to keep my new ones clean.

Oh no, Katie, that's not at all what I wanted to hear! :D (btw, I'm in SE Michigan. Howdy!) I'll have to check in to the oil soap. I thought there were cleaners that they made specifically for cleaning grease; something with the word 'lighting' in it? I'll have to google it.

Don't use the magic eraser on wood! It is only for painted type of surfaces. I have a mark on the basment door where the finish is gone!

I just told you about the old finish so you don't knock yourself out trying to get clean what won't get clean. Poor sentence structure, off to do taxes!

Hi over there is East Michigan!

My mom had this problem and it turns out it is the old varnish on the cabinets. It actually gets sticky over time. She has redone some of them with marine varnish and they won't ever get sticky again.

I just wash my cabinets with dish water. I don't handwash much, but usually once a day I wash pots and pans. So, I just use my sponge and wash down cabinets then.

I don't use a lot of cooking oil or cook meat though. I think that probably makes a big difference.

I diluted it with water. Probably about three "glugs" to about two gallons of water. I didn't measure. I just mixed up the solution in the sink, like dish water, and scrubbed away with a sponge.

I should mention that my cabinets are only 3 years old, and it was just grime from little fingers and splatters that I was cleaning. It made a huge difference.

And, I agree with the others, though, who mentioned old varnish deteriorating. That happened with my moms cabinets. The finish near the knobs would just scrape off with a fingernail. If that's happening with yours, you have bigger problems than dirt.