Menu

What would you do? (Algebra troubles)

Okay, here's the deal...

I chose Foerster's Algebra for my oldest two this year...and have discovered after several chapters that I'm not strong enough in algebra to continue teaching it.

We've purchased the Math Without Borders CDs, hired a tutor...and it's still slow going.

My oldest son is doing okay, and would probably be fine to continue, as is, with the tutor...my oldest daughter is struggling, even with the tutor's help. The CDs really don't add that much, in my opinion (and the kids').

I'm really starting to think that oldest dd needs something like Teaching Textbooks. I guess I sort of felt inclined that way, initially (for her)...and ignored the inkling, thinking we could press through. Nope.

But, man...I don't know if I can afford TT *and* continue with the tutor. :-/

What would you do? Is TT set up so that my oldest son could use it to supplement Foerster's if he ran into a problem that he'd normally take to the tutor? (Just look at its section on Polynominals, for example, instead of using the entire program from start to finish).

I hate to cut corners, if it's going to hamper him, in the end, but...financially, I need to make the most responsible choice, for everyone.

Thanks for any advice/help!

(Also, I'm going to confess that I let negative reviews of TT sway me from it, initially...I was scared of leaving gaps in their knowledge of algebra, and adversely affecting their test scores--feel free to give me your opinions about the validity or lack thereof of this opinion--now I'm afraid that oldest dd will finish algebra without really understanding it, and wonder if TT wouldn't fit her needs better.)

Edited by Jill, OK

I can't speak about TT, but my dd got stuck in Algebra 1. We used Glencoe Algebra. I switched to BJU Algebra, which to me had much clearer explanations of concepts compared to which we were using. We (meaning I too) used the video at Hotmath.com to be able to understand new concepts. This probably helped more than anything. I was fortunate that I was able to borrow BJU so I didn't make a new purchase. Can you borrow TT from someone to see if it's clearer? I've bought 2 new Algebra 2 programs trying to find something I can grasp better than what we're currently using and both weren't right, so I wasted my money :glare:

After a post on the high school board, we got systematic mathematics. Good stuff AND though there is a video with each lesson, it is less costly than most other options (at least other options with DvDs).

I'm very glad we made the switch :)

If I were you, I'd back up a little (which is easily done without penalizing the student with this program as it's self-paced and has fewer lessons so catching back up is possible). Making sure they have the foundational skills then moving on would likely be great. There are a couple ways to back up with this program. We chose to do the Math Rescue, but you could also use the grade 6-8 materials.

http://www.systemath.com

I'm not familiar with Foersters so I can't speak to that program; I find (and my son finds) Lials to be pretty clear and understandable. Which isn't to say teaching it is my forte. I've had to refamiliarize myself with this material and I'm well aware I won't be the best one to teach math beyond algebra and geometry. I'll be looking at outside classes if need be. For now, though, Lials has been a good fit. I have found that supplementing with the Key to Algebra series is helpful, too.

I wonder if your daughter might simply need to backtrack a bit? Gain a stronger foundation in the fundamentals, perhaps ease into algebraic concepts via the first few workbooks in the Key to... series. As for Teaching Textbooks, well...I've seen it and wasn't particularly impressed. It seems sufficient, but not ideal, if you kwim.

Btw, posting your question on the High School board (f you haven't already) will likely yield more ~ and more experienced ~ feedback.:)

I heard the same sort of criticism about TT. The only TT I've looked at the 6th Grade math. It was almost a year behind what dd was doing in Singapore math at that time. It didn't get to the PM5A material until almost the *end* of the TT 6th Grade book. That being said, my friend uses TT Alg. with her son and they love it. He can't understand why his friends in school are having such a hard time with algebra because I finds it so easy! I don't know if this is a statement about TT's wonderful teaching methods, or if it's just too easy.

I haven't looked at the TT Algebra, but I was so unimpressed with the 6th grade math, I went with Video Text Algebra. So far, it's a wonderful match for my dd. She likes the teacher, and the lessons teach only a tiny concept at a time, building each day in a mastery format. The lessons are short, so I can sit and watch with her, to help if she needs it. I like that she has a quiz each day to assure she understands the previous concept before moving on to the next. And, I like that it goes all the way through Algebra 2.

The best thing is, I got my Video Text used, on VHS, for about 1/4th the price of new DVDs (all six modules, regularly about $600 new, for $150). The videos have only been watched once, and are perfectly good. Who needs high def. for algebra lessons? Plus, using a tape makes it real easy to just pick up where we left off the previous day. And, all the books are in excellent condition. Maybe you could find a similar deal? :)

Whether you decide to go with TT or VT, I would highly suggest you look for them used.

I heard the same sort of criticism about TT. The only TT I've looked at the 6th Grade math. It was almost a year behind what dd was doing in Singapore math at that time. It didn't get to the PM5A material until almost the *end* of the TT 6th Grade book. That being said, my friend uses TT Alg. with her son and they love it. He can't understand why his friends in school are having such a hard time with algebra because I finds it so easy! I don't know if this is a statement about TT's wonderful teaching methods, or if it's just too easy.

I haven't looked at the TT Algebra, but I was so unimpressed with the 6th grade math, I went with Video Text Algebra. So far, it's a wonderful match for my dd. She likes the teacher, and the lessons teach only a tiny concept at a time, building each day in a mastery format. The lessons are short, so I can sit and watch with her, to help if she needs it. I like that she has a quiz each day to assure she understands the previous concept before moving on to the next. And, I like that it goes all the way through Algebra 2.

The best thing is, I got my Video Text used, on VHS, for about 1/4th the price of new DVDs (all six modules, regularly about $600 new, for $150). The videos have only been watched once, and are perfectly good. Who needs high def. for algebra lessons? Plus, using a tape makes it real easy to just pick up where we left off the previous day. And, all the books are in excellent condition. Maybe you could find a similar deal? :)

Whether you decide to go with TT or VT, I would highly suggest you look for them used.

NT

I don't know if you'd consider BJU DVDs, but you get the support/help of a teacher during the year too. Just thought i'd throw that out there. It's not cheap for one class, but you might be able to ditch the tutor too?

:grouphug: Math can be so hard to figure out......

...at BJU; I hadn't considered them, honestly.

(Thanks for the hug, lol...I need it!) :-/

Jill, how is your tutor? I think a good tutor should be able to help a kid through the curriculum you already have. I wish I could speak to the curriculums that you are using, but I don't really know them very well. I personally think that the money is best spent on a good tutor...one who can really assess some of the gaps and help to fill them.

Jill, what age is your daughter? I thought my 13 yodd was ready for Algebra. Long story short, we've had to back up and SLOW down. Also, I had her read Math Doesn't Suck by Danica McKellar. Now she is reading through Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who's Boss. My dd is not into the typical young teen fashions etc. but I was desperate for something targeted to a young teen girl struggling with Algebra. Kiss My Math may be something you might want to look into.

Jill, how is your tutor?

I personally think that the money is best spent on a good tutor...one who can really assess some of the gaps and help to fill them.

...and I think you're right. I think my money is best spent on a person who can add some individuality to the instruction.

It's just...unnerving, the combination of me not understanding, and my child not really moving forward at a speed that I'm used to seeing in academics.

I'm also wondering if it's a homeschooler's knee-jerk response, lol, to think that it's simply a case of it not being the right curriculum, when there's a comprehension problem (not saying it can't be that, in certain cases)...and wanting to fix it by switching.

I still believe this is a comprehensive curriculum...it's just a hard subject (for dd and I, anyway, lol).

Dh agrees that sticking with the tutor is best, and since the kids both say he's helpful...I think we'll keep him. :D

Thanks for your help, Mindy, and thanks to everyone who has replied...it's all helpful.

I'm pressed for time, or I would go through and thank each of you individually, but...I think we've pretty much decided to keep investing in the tutor, and just take it as slow as it needs to go.

It's all been helpful...thanks for listening and offering advice.