Menu

Would you bid on these items on eBay?

I've been on eBay for some ten years now, and always had good experiences. That said, I buy primarily books, not electronics or big ticket items.

There is a set of four books for sale right now that I've wanted for some time, and I'm guessing that they'll go for around $10. The seller is in the U.S. and registered in the summer of 2008, but only has one feedback comment listed. She is obviously a new seller because the listing is not "packaged" well and the shipping she lists is way too low. There's a misspelling in the title. She takes only Paypal, and has been responsive when I've asked questions. Her other items look like college textbooks.

I'm inclined to give it a whirl. I don't usually buy from newer sellers, but this is something that rarely comes up.

What do you think? It's relatively a small ticket purchase, but I don't want big headaches with this one.

I'd go for it, especially if you are paying through paypal. A lot of people don't realize that if you pay through paypal and there's a problem, you can file with PP to get your money back. They have the ability to remove the money from the seller's account and return it to yours if there is a problem that cannot be fixed by communication. It's pretty safe that way. Good luck! :)

We all have to learn sometime, but the misspelling and $3 to ship four books via Priority Mail put me off. I did confirm that she wants $3 for shipping, which probably wouldn't even cover Media Mail.

If you really want the books I would go ahead, at that low price. (Unless it would bother you to no end to have the deal go wrong). Maybe she has such low shipping because she's just starting out on ebay and wants business. I tend to go buy more items from people I've had good transactions with previously.

I'd go for it, especially if you are paying through paypal. A lot of people don't realize that if you pay through paypal and there's a problem, you can file with PP to get your money back. They have the ability to remove the money from the seller's account and return it to yours if there is a problem that cannot be fixed by communication. It's pretty safe that way. Good luck! :)

Unfotunately, this is not entirely true. All the person has to do is not put any money in their account and paypal will not refund you. I had paypal once decide in my favor but then "regretfully inform" me that the money was not there and I would not be getting a refund. :(

Unfotunately, this is not entirely true. All the person has to do is not put any money in their account and paypal will not refund you. I had paypal once decide in my favor but then "regretfully inform" me that the money was not there and I would not be getting a refund. :(

Yes, that is true, if they move the money out of their account, there's not much to be done about it, but generally speaking, I have found most people on ebay to be honest--especially on lower-priced items.

I would give it a go...one thing to know is that Ebay changed their rules around the first of the year and all you can use now is paypal...unless there is still credit card???? but checks and money orders are not allowed. I have an ebay store and I had to change all my auctions to omit taking money orders.