Menu

Let's talk cameras

I need a new digital. Niether my budget nor my skills is up there in the DSLR/SLR range.

I'd like a camera that is basically point and shoot, has nice image quality, and fast for motion shots.

I realize that I won't have great pictures of motion shots if it is not a SLR, but something better than what I have now.

So do you like the camera you have?

*Update* I'm looking at the Nikon D40 as it is basically the same price as the Canon SX10 and SonyH50

The best prices I've found so far is on Amazon. I would like a protection plan. Does anyone have experience with the protection plan you can buy through Amazon? Would I be able to buy the camera on Amazon and then buy a protection plan through Ritz Camera or another store?

Edited by Kleine Hexe
Update

I'm a photographer, so of course I have a DSLR. But I also have my point and shoot for when I dont want to "focus" on my settings but just whip it out and shoot. I have tried MANY MANY point and shoot cameras and just didnt like too many of them. I finally settled on the Sony H50. While it is not compact, I'm happy with the image quality. Not up to my DSLR standards, but I'm satisified. And the zoom is great at 15x optical (ignore the digital zoom, it doesnt matter, you want to look at optical). And it feels very solid and easy to hold.

My method:

Go to Costco.

Look at their cameras.

Buy the second or third most expensive one (out of 6 or so).

Costco buys large quantities and has generous return policies. So they pick something that is desirable to most people and give you a good deal on it.

I have used my method twice, and it has worked both times. And if I didn't like it, I could take it back (within a certain amount of time--check for details.)

The Canon Powershot SX10 has manual settings that allow you to choose shutter priority and then the camera will adjust the aperture accordingly as well as a total manual setting where you can adjust the shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure settings to your liking.

And for nitwits like me it has plenty of auto settings too!

But yes, kids in motion are no match for the SX10.

I've seen threads on another forum that Staples is selling the D40 kit for under $400, sometimes around $300 (not the floor display). If you have a local Staples, you may want to take a look or give them a call. I've also read that some Sears stores have been clearance pricing the D40 kit.

I have several friends who have the D40 and positively love it. I've used theirs before and it is a good camera with a nice solid feel. It comes with a nice lens and as you grow your hobby, you can add more lenses for a wider range. But you don't have to! Basically, it's a good, albeit slightly bulky P&S and/or a camera that can grow with you.

I've used Nikon products all my professional life and wouldn't change for anything. I don't know anything about Amazon's protection plans. I've bought photography equipment from them before with very good results, but I shy away from protection plans. Nikon has (I think) a one year warranty on their cameras and a five (I think) year warranty on their lenses. I've always used their standard warranty and have never complained!

I have a Nikon D40 and I love love love it!! I bought mine at Walmart (using my mother's employee discount) so I don't know about the Amazon protection plan. I know you will enjoy the camera! Email me when you get it, and I will email you some sights that have great tutorials! Also try and get the Nikon D40 field guide here. I love the field guide, and it is 10000 times better than the owner's manual that comes with the camera. ENJOY!

I've seen threads on another forum that Staples is selling the D40 kit for under $400, sometimes around $300 (not the floor display). If you have a local Staples, you may want to take a look or give them a call. I've also read that some Sears stores have been clearance pricing the D40 kit.

I called around and they are all selling the D40 between $450 to $499

I have a Nikon D40 and I love love love it!! I bought mine at Walmart (using my mother's employee discount) so I don't know about the Amazon protection plan. I know you will enjoy the camera! Email me when you get it, and I will email you some sights that have great tutorials! Also try and get the Nikon D40 field guide here. I love the field guide, and it is 10000 times better than the owner's manual that comes with the camera. ENJOY!

I saw the "Nikon D40 for Dummies" book and was thinking about getting that if I get the D40. I'll look at the field guide.