Menu

So excited

I love taking the kids on fieldtrips but a lot of places no longer say yes to having people randomly come in and tour their facilitator. I was given the chance to review a lapbook package on veterinary science and post on my blog, so I thought a fieldtrip to wrap up the unit study was needed. I called 4 vet clinics before I found one that very excitedly said YES. We are figuring out the details as to which day next week, as the vet has agreed to let the 2 older help out in some way, setting up an exam room or with a standard check up or something safe and simple. THe clinic is also an animal hospital so we have been warned that unpleasantness can end up coming through the door when we are there but the kids are eager anyway. I am very excited for this fieldtrip, after the first 3 no's I was beginning to think I was crazy thinking we could arrange it. Gonna be a fun unit study with the lapbook and field trip.

Which brings me to a question too, I am looking for other fieldtrip ideas that arenot your standard museum type thing. In the past I have arranged field trips for our entire homeschool group to the radio station, I may do that one again since it has been a few years. Now the vet just for my family. I am going to call the tv station and see if I can arrange things. DO you guys have any ideas of places that you have toured or have always wanted to tour/visit for a homeschool fieldtrip?

I haven't been to all of these but some that my group has sponsored

Weather station

post office

fish hatchery

large farm

cheese making plant

sewage plant (I've heard this was MUCH more interesting that it sounds but I couldn't make it to know for sure)

bee keepers

Our state university has tours of lots of different departments - we went and say the extensive bug collection at the entemology department

I'm sure there are others but that's all I can think of right now.

I know the power company no longer does tours, we have tried, but since 9/11 no more. I managed today to find a honey plant to tour, and a demonstration farm where the kids can grind their own wheat and make muffins, see a mini combine and learn what farmers need to grow the wheat etc. Another trip at the same place has them spend 1/2 a day as pioneer children doing the chores in the cabin, then they bake with the wood stove and eat their treat while watching a puppet show. Those ones though cost money so waiting to hear if the others in my homeschool group would be interested it is cheap per child, but has a minimum cost that is too much for 1 family.

I didn't think about the post office etc I will have to call them. Grocery store is a great idea too, I know the schools can book a tour at save-on and at a local hospital, I should see if I can get a booking for my homeschool group.

We do lots at the uni, including behind the scenes stuff at their museum, so we have seen them skin and stuff a gopher for display. We do the bug room at our local museum. Normal field trips for us include, the museum, science center, fort ed park, nature center, university museums (smaller but way cooler than the normal), zoo and the pet store(we go weekly where they let my kids feed the huge koi and turtles their food for the day)etc. We have also done trips to a naturopath/chiropractic cinic, and radio station. We love field trips but need more ideas to keep them fresh.

Did a tour at the county court house with our Cub Scout den yesterday. One of the judges talked to the boys about the whole legal process and even did a "mock trial" where boys took turns being witnesses and lawyers asking questions while the rest sat in the jury box. It was very cool!

Did a tour at the county court house with our Cub Scout den yesterday. One of the judges talked to the boys about the whole legal process and even did a "mock trial" where boys took turns being witnesses and lawyers asking questions while the rest sat in the jury box. It was very cool!

Oooh I like the sounds of that one, I will have to look into it.

Newspaper office and printing, etc. was cool

State Capitol building

Butterfly garden

Lollipop factory

Fire Station

Grocery Store (there are a lot of cool things behind the scenes)

Corn Maze

Cemetery (we looked at old gravestones, read, compared, looked at dates, did charcoal rubbings, etc.)

Mansions (some have tours and they are great, and we also sat outside of several Victorian houses and sketched them)

Ballet/Theatre/Children's Orchestra Performances

Performing Arts Building Tour (these are cool when they take you backstage and to the dressing rooms, green room, etc.)

After 13 years of homeschooling these are all I can think of right now. If I think of more I'll add them on.

One of my daughter's classes did a tour of a shoe repair shop. I didn't even know we had one and it was two blocks from my house. :) It was very interesting. Lots of machines and loud banging noises. The kids loved it. The repairman explained about different shoes being made of different animal skins and repaired a shoe while they watched. This was a class of twenty four year olds and they were fascinated.

We also went to a store that sold Native American style items and was owned by a wonder NA man who told them stories and wore his full regalia. They were captivated while he told stories. It takes a lot to captivate twenty four year olds for more than a minute or two! We really enjoyed it.

Jeannie