Menu

7th grade schedule

Tamy

We've homeschooled forever and I've always felt confident in my choices...but as my son gets closer to high school age (someone stop him...he's growing too quickly!!!!!) I agonize over every decision.

Here is my schedule for 7th grade (next school year):

Saxon Algebra 1/2

Critical Thinking 1

Growing With Grammar 7

Spelling Workout G - I may drop this since he's such a good speller.

Writing Strands 4

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Lightning Literature 7

Harmony Fine Arts 7

History Odyssey II Early Modern

Rainbow Science Year 1 - I just received this and have no idea how to schedule this. I'd like for him to be able to do most of this on his own. Any scheduling ideas would be appreciated.

Geography - Last year we memorized Canada, N.America, Central America, and S. America-all states, provinces, territories and countries...this year we've memorized Europe and are currently working on Asia. We have weekly country tests.

Music - daily guitar practice

Exercise - tennis lessons weekly - basketball during winter - swimming during summer

Typing - I think we'll use Mavis Beacon

I know I don't have foreign language on the list. I would love a computer program for French. We tried the Learnables this year, but it was a bust.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

Tamy Davis

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

I don't have any suggestions for curriculum. What you have sounds great to me but my son hasn't been to 7th yet either. As far as an online french here is a bbc link for a free french beginner 12 week program. You get a certificate at the end. It will get you started and make sure that is the language he would like to take.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/lj/

Hi Tamy,

I've got a sick kid, so I'm hanging out this week end.

I see you use Writing Strands. That makes me feel better. I'm looking at it for my daughter. I've always dismissed it, but when I actually looked at it for myself, I was really impressed with it.

And GWG 7? I'm looking at grammar and writing options for our co-op this year. I have to give them recommendations. It'll be nice to tell them that 7 will be available for school next fall. We have quite a few students at our co-op that are not up on their grammar. So we're looking at adding that in for everyone.

Hi Kimber! It's been a while since we've talked. Yes, 7th grade HAS to be ready soon...my son keeps me on schedule.

My son is using Writing Strands 3 this year and it seems to be working well. I just plan to keep him on that path...crossing fingers the entire way. LOL!

I hope your child is better soon. A lot of bad "stuff" has been going around lately.

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

At our co-op we have quite a few students who are behind in grammar. What do you recommend for older students who aren't prepared? I have to recommend a language arts plan to our coordinators and since GWG has diagramming and the upper levels, it might work for us.

Hi Tamy! :seeya:

I think your list looks great. (But, we haven't done 7th yet ourselves...)

Just wanted to remind you of Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings too (as an option). I think that looks so cool & would be something that we would perhaps tackle in 7th or 8th grade. Also, I was looking at the IEW website the other day & noticed they have a new literary analysis program out called Windows to the World. I thought it looked pretty good. I'm hoping to see it in person if I go to a curriculum fair this Spring. (I'd love to hear from anyone who has bought it as to what you think of it. I realize it's new, so there may not be many comments on it yet....)

Don't know of any French programs to recommend.

Have fun planning! :D

In fact, it looks a bit overwhelming due to the fine arts, vocabulary, and geography. After 4 years of Latin, we have dropped foreign language until high school, I think.

Sue,

The art study is worked in when I find time and the geography is fun for all of us...so that's not really a big deal here. The vocabulary...well, we'll see how that goes.

I've often wondered if waiting until high school to start a foreign language would be okay. There just isn't enough time in the day for it here. He'll be taking a few dual credit courses at the local college for high school...maybe I'll have him take foreign language there.

Thanks for your thoughts, Sue. Just typing this out..."thinking" out loud is helpful.

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

Just wanted to remind you of Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings too (as an option). I think that looks so cool & would be something that we would perhaps tackle in 7th or 8th grade. Also, I was looking at the IEW website the other day & noticed they have a new literary analysis program out called Windows to the World. I thought it looked pretty good.

Stacia, you know my weakness...why do you tempt me by suggesting more for me to buy?? :eek: LOL!!

You're right, though. You know J would love the Lord of the Rings literary lessons. Hmmm...more to think about.

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

Edited by Tamy

You know J would love the Lord of the Rings literary lessons. Hmmm...more to think about.

I have thought about LLOTR since I learned about it. LOTR is my favorite book of all time. I have decided that IF we homeschool high school, we'll do that in 9th grade. Actually, I decided I'll give ds a choice - LLOTR or online class, because I am not cut out to teach high school English. But, since I'm passionate about LOTR, I know I can teach that. I just don't think that I can fit it in with the grammar, spelling, and writing that needs to be done by 8th grade. I figure in 9th grade, I can use that as "English 9". Lightning Lit is about all I can manage and is a nice introduction to literary analysis for us.

Rainbow Science Year 1 - I just received this and have no idea how to schedule this. I'd like for him to be able to do most of this on his own. Any scheduling ideas would be appreciated.

Take a quick peek at the front page in the Teacher's Helper. It's set up to be done three days a week. The student reads a lesson from the textbook on the first two days, and on the third day does a lab. I think many students can do this independently.

There are also quizzes (and answers) available to download at Rainbow's website if you are interested in adding testing to the schedule.

Edited by KathyBC