Menu

Book recs please for a 10yo boy who is loving Tom Sawyer.

Getting my 10yo to read period is a struggle to put it mildly. He does not like to read. Period. So, when he actually asked to read the abridged version of Tom Sawyer that I have from Great Illustrated Classics, I relented. I typically do not like them to read the abridged versions, but w/ this kid...anything is better than nothing. So...he is LOVING it! He still won't read for longer that like half an hour even if he is enjoying it, but he is READING! So, any recs for books LIKE Tom Sawyer that might interest him? He has a friend reading the Lord of the Rings and he is interested in that. It will be a challenge for him, but that's good. His reading skills are a bit "behind" grade but slowly improving. Thanks in advance!

You might let him try the unabridged version of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, or else continue to let him read some of the Great Illustrated Classics. My older two read some of those from our local library, and it didn't dampen their enthusiasm for the real version. I would go ahead and let him try the Lord of the Rings, too; maybe let him read a while, and then when he gets tired, offer to read portions aloud for him.

I have a reluctant reader in our family, and I'm always glad when I see her reading a book!

I would continue with the Illustrated Classics for a bit, as much as I know people dislike abridged versions. It seems to me he's gaining confidence, and the large print/whatever etc is helping with that. He feels like a reader! What about Sherlock Holmes? Treasure Island? His Illustrated Classics is a younger child's Hop on Pop. Lots of people begin a life-long love of print with that, or Mouse Soup, or Dr Suess etc.