Menu

Do any of you have fake nails?

My real nailbeds are short and UGLY, not to mention that my nails are PAPER THIN. My hands are NOT feminine looking at all and it bothers me at times. I was a preemie baby born with no nails, eyelashes or eyebrows. The others grew in fine but I was NOT blessed with nice nails. I love to wear sandals in the summer to show off my nicely polished toenails. :D It's always the little things......

I love to garden and have a farm full of rescued furry friends. :001_smile: So nails weren't all too important. Sometimes I'd hide my nails if someone was admiring my wedding ring (dh and I designed it and had it made with the money Visa awarded him on a fraudulent purchase. We wouldn't have had the money to do this otherwise.) But since my dad died and we decided to close the security deposit box, my sister and I divided up Mom's jewelry because she has dementia, severe, and she threw away her very large diamond earrings. Dad never let her wear the real stuff again.. Soooooooo, I have some very, very nice jewelry and I just could NOT put some of the rings on my HIDEOUS hands! So I got my nails done. I did this once before but stopped when they kept popping off. It seems once the glued on tips grow out, the nails break off easily. It could also be because I do SO much with my hands.

Does anyone else have this problem? Do any of you do your nails yourself? I hate to waste the money and go around looking like I do now. I have 3 nails off, the shop was closed yesterday and today, and the woman who does my nails is out tomorrow. There's NO hiding how ridiculous my hands look, and I've got a FULL week! I'm holding one nail on with a bandaid. It looks stupid.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Denise

Honestly, I would have them removed. I had fake nails on and off for years. I just don't think they are worth the trouble. They break and if you wear them too long they wear down your nail bed even more causing a lot of pain/sensitivity.

I started using OPI Nail Envy. It is a nail strengthener that has vitamins in it and helps to grow nails long and strong. It costs about $15

The fake one's just were not worth the cost/inconvienience/pain.

I've had my nails done a handful of times over the years. I've found that I'd rather spend the money on lotions, sugar scrub, and other pampering products rather than the fake nails. Get the skin cared for and the hands look 100% better. I kept my nails short for about two years. Now they are stronger and grow a bit longer.

I don't like how they look on me. I had them done once, but probably never again.

I've heard you've got to find a good shop. Ask around and find someone who has had good success with their false nails and get a recommendation. That can make a big difference in the quality.

hhmmmmmmmm, maybe that's the problem.

My hands do not even resemble anything feminine without nails. I've tried just about every product out there and NOTHING works. Because my nails are PAPER THIN, product won't stay on them anyway. I'm lucky to get a day without the product peeling off. :angry:

I think money would be better spent going to the salon and getting some sort of wrap or treatment and putting on a nice natural/pinkish color on them no matter how they look. I'm one who thinks fake nails are well, very fake. Their big and clumpy. I really don't mean to offend, but I think natural is always better. Try a good salon and spend your money on treatment.

Guest janainaz

I had fake nails from 16 yrs old until a month after my first son was born. I took them off and will never have them put back on again. It's just too much trouble and it's almost $500 a year. My own nails don't grow, they are short and other than cuticle remover and clear polish - I don't spend any special time on them.

hhmmmmmmmm, maybe that's the problem.

My hands do not even resemble anything feminine without nails. I've tried just about every product out there and NOTHING works. Because my nails are PAPER THIN, product won't stay on them anyway. I'm lucky to get a day without the product peeling off. :angry:

I can't get OPI's Nail envy off w/o nail polish remover. I put some on over a week ago and it is still hard as nails. I had thin and damaged nail beds due to wearing fake nails too long. (They really hurt) They feel so much better now and are growing longer/stronger.