Menu

Thinking about scheduling History study around IEW theme-based writing units.

Lovedtodeath

This is what I'm planning on doing (after we finish Wordsmith Apprentice). My boys are really interested in U.S. history, so we're going to use IEW's US History book and expand on that for reading and activities. (I've never planned on doing TWTM's history cycles anyways, so it's not a big departure for us)

We have used the theme-based writing courses along side our history studies, but have not based our studies around the units.

For example, right now we are studying world history (ds in 9th) with a focus on Middle Ages for Lit. and writing. I purchased the Medieval theme-based writing course and he is working through that the first half of the year. The program says it is for 5-8th grades, but he needs a bit more work on writing and we are moving through it at a quicker pace so I don't feel it is beneath him.

We also used the first edition of the American History theme-based writing when we did some Am. History.

I may have him work through the Life Science one when he does Biology, but haven't decided for sure.