Menu

Wanted to share: Feeling relieved and excited about ds's first comm. college course

Ds registered for his first community college course (dual enrollment) starting this semester. I am so happy--excited and relieved. Homeschooling a high schooler has felt like such a huge responsibility. It's one of the things my mind jumps to when I wake up too early in the morning: have I done enough? What if ds can't get into the college of his choice and it's my fault? yada yada.

Now he gets to get his feet wet in a college environment while still at home, and be totally responsible for his work and grade.

I'm also excited because I feel like this is a real perk of homeschooling in high school--that potential for saving money on college later on. In our state, dual enrollment courses are free (though the textbooks are expensive), and a student can take up to 3 courses a semester. This will be good for him financially. (Our kids need to pay their own way through college).

Anyway, just wanted to share my feelings with others who might understand.

My son (HS Senior) just finished his first two community college classes this fall, and they went very well.

He really enjoyed the classroom atmosphere and was more motivated to do his best there. As a result, he has learned to manage his time better and is looking forward to college away from home next fall.

We are also hoping that he will be able to transfer some or all of his course credits to his eventual college.

I think part time CC courses are a great bridge to full time college for homeschooled high schoolers!

Brenda

My son just started his first cc class this week. It is a relief. But, I am anxious too. He will be fine with the material. But the study skills...I hope so. I have taught him the skills, but as far as applying them...we'll see. I am afraid I have been too lenient and let him get away with turning in stuff late. You know, gee we've been so busy, I can see why you didn't finish. That is part of why I wanted a cc class. He needs a class not taught by softie dad or nice mom.:001_smile:

How exciting!!!!!!

My oldest has really enjoyed taking classes at the cc!! We were both anxious as she prepared for her first semester! Now, she'll be starting her 5th semester on Tuesday and we both feel as if we're seasoned professionals! ;)

Best of luck to you and your cc student! :)

My 15 yo dd who is a tenth grader finished her first cc course last semester. She really enjoyed it, learned a lot, and wants to do more courses. We moved to VA due to the military so she can't do a course this semester but she is looking forward to continuing in fall when she is 16. Good luck for your son.

Ds registered for his first community college course (dual enrollment) starting this semester. I am so happy--excited and relieved. Homeschooling a high schooler has felt like such a huge responsibility. It's one of the things my mind jumps to when I wake up too early in the morning: have I done enough? What if ds can't get into the college of his choice and it's my fault? yada yada.

Now he gets to get his feet wet in a college environment while still at home, and be totally responsible for his work and grade.

I'm also excited because I feel like this is a real perk of homeschooling in high school--that potential for saving money on college later on. In our state, dual enrollment courses are free (though the textbooks are expensive), and a student can take up to 3 courses a semester. This will be good for him financially. (Our kids need to pay their own way through college).

Anyway, just wanted to share my feelings with others who might understand.

Congrats to you and your ds.

My ds is also starting his first comm coll classes this spring. He is officially finished with my courses , but still 17. I wish our state had some perks for dual enrollment. My poor son had to fork over 900 bucks for 2 online business courses. Good thing he works full time or no can do. Next semester I want him to be enrolled for 12 credits, then at least he can get a little financial aid....sigh....

~~Faithe

My 15 ds enrolled in his first CC course today, and we are excited too! He begins a creative writing class on Thursday. He wants to be a veterinarian but he enjoys writing, so we decided that now was the time for such a course because he certainly won't have time when he begins college ;). The instructor is a retired prof who has published a few books and comes highly recommended. It will be interesting.

SusanAR

I remember my first college class! Ancient History. I didn't do so well, but had fun being in "College." He's probably great at organizing his course load, but ....just in case, I could have used some parental help. They forgot that I had NO idea how to organize my study habits for a college course...Oh well..live and learn.

I hope he really enjoys it...and SHINES:-)

Carrie:-)

My daughter is taking five classes this first semester in her dual enrollment at the CC. She is LOVING it. Her older sister had a great experience at the CC, and she's really been looking forward to it. Part of being a second-born is the world-savviness she already exudes--,"Mom, my English 111 teacher is a dope. He's one of those English teachers who uses awful grammar himself, and he seems inconsistent in his assignments. I'll give him another two weeks, then I'm dropping that class, and waiting until the fall, if he doesn't straighten up."

Gulp. 16 years old, and confident about the professor working for her, and being professional, in order for her to spend her time...Wow. I'm pretty sure that I was 40 before I had that figured out. GRIN.

LoriM