Menu

Recipes for penne pasta?

I have 2 bags of the whole grain penne pasta w/ flax. My family doesn't prefer tomato sauce. Any yummy recipes?
My favourite is penne tossed with sauteed garlic and broccoli (steamed for a few minutes prior to sauteeing) with crumbled Italian sausage.

We call it that because it's my husband's favorite. It's so simple, too.

Basically, get a bag of pepperoni and quarter the slices. Add 2 diced green peppers and 1 big diced onion. Saute and season with lots of Italian seasoning; and garlic, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix with pasta and top with grated parmesan. Yum.

Cook your penne.

Mix whipping cream with basil pesto and a can of drained, diced tomatoes. I think it's a cup of cream to 1 T of the pesto and the can of tom (or double the cream/pesto to a can if you don't really like tomatoes - you could probably leave the tomatoes out altogether if you really dislike them). Add a little salt and pepper and toss the mixture with the cooked pasta. It's REALLY good (notice that I did NOT say low-cal)

Another, and if you don't like tomato sauce, you may not like it, but it's an option if you like tomatoes:

Saute some onions in a little olive oil. Add the liquid from a jar of marinated artichokes. Dice up the artichokes and add them to the pot, then dump a can of diced or crushed tomatoes in. Simmer, adding a little salt, pepper and italian seasonings if you like. Serve with cooked pasta and sprinkle with fresh parmesan. This is really good.

Cook the penne.

Simultaneous, take one sliced white onion--the slices should be half rounds (so they are slices of half an onion). Saute it in a very smooth pan that is preheated when you put them in, stirring constantly, but with no fat added. So basically, the liguid in the onions comes out and they steam and carmelize at the same time. The reason you have to stir so much is to keep them from sticking and burning. But you do want them to slowly turn brown, because then they get sweet, so you keep stirring them until they do.

Then about the time when they are borderline out of control and you think they will burn, you add one cup of milk. It can be nonfat. You stir really, really hard to deglaze the pan and get the onions swirling around in the milk. The pan and the onions flavor the milk. Heat but don't boil. Add about 1/4 tsp of tarragon, freshly ground in the mortar.

Then put the pasta in a serving bowl and pour this over it. It's an odd mix, but it's really good.

To change it up you can saute some mushrooms in a little olive oil with thyme instead of the tarragon, and mix them in a the last minute, but I like it better the other way.

We love Emeril's Penne with Pink Vodka sauce, but technically that is a red sauce with cream so I don't know if you would like it.

Love vodka sauce. What I usually do is go to my favorite Italian Cucina, they sell their sauce for $7 a qt.

My favourite is penne tossed with sauteed garlic and broccoli (steamed for a few minutes prior to sauteeing) with crumbled Italian sausage.

I love this too, or sliced sausage with roasted peppers and onions.